Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Oct in Il

Old 07-07-2008, 11:04 AM

Default Oct in Il

Hi all ! I am new to the forum but this seemed like an awesome place to get info about hunting other states . I am a Pa bowhunter , and I have booked a huntin ILwith Rodhouse Rut-n-Strut for Oct 20 - 25 . I was just wandering what tactics were effective at that time of year out there . Ratteling doesn't seem to have much promise here , but grunt tubes work well . Would it be too early in the season in IL to try such agressive hunting stradegies ?
Old 07-07-2008, 11:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Oct in Il

You could "tick" the horns together, but it's too early for the aggresive rattling here that time of the season. Your about a week early for that.
Old 07-07-2008, 01:39 PM
Zim
Nontypical Buck

In my opinion you'd be way better off hunting public land in prime rut Nov. 1-14 than any private land Oct. 20-25.And a lot cheaper too.
Old 07-07-2008, 05:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

I love the pre-rut, calls etc...work better in my opinion, chasing a hot doe in the rut at 40mph doesn't offer you much other than watching a big buck run by.

That last week of OCT is pretty sweet, but there will always be guys who prefer oneperiod over another....

I'd most likely just stick to that grunt tube.

Old 07-08-2008, 10:43 AM

It's too late to back out of my guided hunt zim . Maybe I shoulda came to this board before i booked it . But PA to IL is atleast 13 hours , so it's not like I couldcome out and do some scouting a couple times first ... ya know .
Thanks for all the info guys , I was already decided to take the grunt tube , but I wasn't sure about the rattle bag . Now I know . But rest assured , that doesn't mean that I'll leave it out of my pack !
Old 07-08-2008, 09:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

20-25..I usually stick to scraps....and do a little calling.

The rut is about to kick in
Old 07-08-2008, 09:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

I wouldn't leave it at home, at least pack it in the truck.....ya never know what's going to happen or work.

Some light action on the bag/tickling or even a decent rattle may be whats needed to have a buck turn and come your way, but it wouldn't be my goto may be a last evening of the hunt thing....
Old 07-08-2008, 10:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: 1luckybuck

Hi all ! I am new to the forum but this seemed like an awesome place to get info about hunting other states . I am a Pa bowhunter , and I have booked a huntin ILwith Rodhouse Rut-n-Strut for Oct 20 - 25 . I was just wandering what tactics were effective at that time of year out there . Ratteling doesn't seem to have much promise here , but grunt tubes work well . Would it be too early in the season in IL to try such agressive hunting stradegies ?
I don't want you to be depressed when I tell you this but here goes. I call this time the October Lull.By this I mean I really don't see to many buck at this time. Something happens with these bucks at this time of year where they just disappear. If this is in Northern IL. they should be coming out of this stage by then. If this is Southern IL. were I hunt I consider this a pretty slow time.
Old 07-09-2008, 11:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

The 20th-25th you will be about 2-3 weeks away from prime rut. You should see bucks in the early searching stages. Depending on the weather (it can be cold here, or really hot still) I would concentrate my efforts on ridges leading to food sources, that is always a good bet for finding a buck scent checking areas for that first hot doe, plus they will just be starting in making and keeping their scrapes up. Sitting on a food source is a good bet if the weather is cool, the bucks will pot out where does are gathered to check for a early hot one, but if the weather is hot, most of the feeding is going to be done after dark. That is why I suggest pinch points and ridges heading to food sources.
Old 07-09-2008, 06:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have heard that Rut and Strut was for sale. You might wanna drop them a line and see whats up. I am sure they will still honor any reservations, but I would sure check it out.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.