Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 Cover Scent for Illinois? >

Cover Scent for Illinois?

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Cover Scent for Illinois?

Old 06-28-2008, 06:44 PM
Fork Horn

Default Cover Scent for Illinois?

I'm taking my first trip to Illinois this fall, and will be hunting from October 25 through November 1. I was wondering what you guys and gals that get to hunt these big bucks on a regular basis use as a cover scent, or if you use any at all? I have used the Fall Blend type scents for years here in MD, but we don't have the kind of deer I'm going after. Our bucks are lucky to make it to 3 yrs. old, and even then they're scrubby compared to what most consider a wallhanger.

Obviously I'll be using a scent elimator spray in conjunction with any cover scent.[/align]
Old 06-28-2008, 06:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Cover Scent for Illinois?

Iavoid apple, mostly use earth or cedar/pine.

Old 06-28-2008, 09:01 PM
Spike

Motor oil and gasoline work good In all honesty I dont use cover scents I just through on the scent blocker and hunt
Old 06-29-2008, 02:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

don't use nothing, these deer are mature and smart give them no idea your there, only use a scent killer spray.....BE STEALTH!!!
Old 06-29-2008, 03:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

i use anything earth scenty
Old 06-29-2008, 08:39 PM

It's my personal preference to not use any 'cover scents'. I don't think that any store bought cover scents could smell 100% authentic, and why do you REALLY need to anyway?
Old 06-30-2008, 08:00 AM
Fork Horn

I use Hunter's Specialty Scent killer. I did use the Acorn stuff once, but the deer kept busting me every time so I went back to the basic stuff. I try to aviod my scent be climbing really really high up in the tree. That seems to work about as well as anything. Where are you hunting and with what outfitter if you don't mind me asking? I'm in Adams/Pike area...
Old 06-30-2008, 10:48 AM
Zim
Nontypical Buck

There are a lot more important things to worry about. I don't use any scent. Just try to plan your routine to allow for bathing as often as possible, with scent free soap, to stay clean. This is often a concern if you are hunting public land with limited facilities like I do.
Old 06-30-2008, 11:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

i use Scent Killer the pin those earth scent waffers on my hat
Old 06-30-2008, 04:18 PM

Im not from Illinois I hunt in SE Indiana I only hunt mature deer it don't matter what state your in if you are not as clean as you can be when hunting 4&5 year old deer they will smell you dont hunt a stand if the wind is wrong no matter what and use a good scent killer DEADDOWN WIND is the best I have used and I have tested a lot of them. Hope this helps. Good Luck !!

Quick Reply: Cover Scent for Illinois?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.