Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 Wisconsin Open Carry Movement >

Wisconsin Open Carry Movement

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Wisconsin Open Carry Movement

Old 06-25-2008, 08:04 PM
Fork Horn

Default Wisconsin Open Carry Movement

Have any of you in Wisconsin heard/followed the movement, especially on the South East side of the state, to start open carrying as much as possible?

I would welcome any thoughts/comments
Old 06-25-2008, 09:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Wisconsin Open Carry Movement

heard nothing, across the border though....

Wi is an open carry legal, but concealed carry illegal?

Sure if more people got acustom to open carry that would help, but til then I think concealed carry, would solve the worries, since people don't see it, get to carry, and people don't see/aren't worried.

We need a 50 state open/concealed carry, everywhere....
Old 06-25-2008, 09:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

My cottage is right across the wisconsin line. I am surprised I haven't heard about that yet. Wish all states had it.
Old 06-26-2008, 05:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

Havent heard anything about it for a while. Last I heard the concealed carry got bombed. Open carry is legal in Wi.
Old 06-26-2008, 10:06 AM
Fork Horn

YES! Open carry IS LEGAL in Wisconsin, there are restrictions (school zones, bars, government buildings, etc.) but it IS legal AND, there is NO training or permit required.

There is a somewhat organized/disorganized movement to start open carrying as much as possible and individuals have been open carrying in Kenosha and Milwaukee for some months now. A few have been met with LEO resistance but for the most part things have been uneventful with the exception of one individual who was detained, disarmed, and arrested back in May, but hasn't been formally charged yet. In addition, they (government) still have his firearm. We've been watching this closely, because if they DON'T charge him, the Milwaukee DA will basically need to STOP the police from harassing law-abiding citizens who choose to carry.

As I understanding, the reason for the open carry is two-fold. First, as CC is illegal, it is the only way to carry. Second, the hope is that as more people carry, people will "CARE" the next time a carry bill comes before the legislature and both LEO and the people will push the legislature to pass it.

I brought this up, to try and gage where the public was/is at with this issue.
Old 05-30-2011, 01:12 PM
Spike

I have to thank a member from another forum for this message. I hope that he does not care..........

Senate Bill 93 (sb93) is constitutional carry with optional permit system.

should be voted on in June - but there are people looking to amend this bill and put more restrictions in. If you are a Wisconsin resident contact your state senator and tell them to support sb93 as is - also contact your state representative and insist on a similar bill pass the assembly. Very easly to find your rep or senator and send an e-mail

http://legis.wisconsin.gov/w3asp/waml/waml.aspx

I wrote my two letters earlier today. I hope you do to.

Thanks!
Old 05-31-2011, 06:43 AM
Fork Horn

i live just a little bit northeast of madison and havnt heard a thing
Old 06-04-2011, 05:38 PM
Typical Buck

Unfortunatly if you open carry in Wisconsin it generally gets you in trouble. Yes, its legal. But as soon as a cop sees your gun, or a person calls the cops cause your openly wearing a firearm, you will get stopped and they will take your firearm and make somthing up to charge you with... "Disorderly conduct" is a favorite...
I feel that we should not need a "permit" to carry a concealed gun if we are "law abiding" citizens. The constitution of the United states is my "permit". The part where it says we have the right to bear arms uninfringed.
Old 06-09-2011, 01:51 PM
Typical Buck

Budget panel approves concealed carry with permits, training required
By Patrick Marley of the Journal Sentinel
Updated: June 9, 2011 3:44 p.m. |(86) Comments
Madison - Republicans in the Legislature are rallying around a bill that would allow people to get permits to carry concealed weapons if they went through training, after a proposal that would have allowed them to carry hidden guns without permits stirred controversy.
The Joint Finance Committee approved a new version of the bill that would require people to get training and apply to the state for permits. It passed 12-4, with all Republicans voting for it and all Democrats voting against it.
Law enforcement would have to issue permits to any state residents who are 21 or over, get training and clear a background check that shows they were not a felon or otherwise prohibited from carrying a gun.
The committee's vote is a sign lawmakers will change the state's concealed weapons law soon, but it is also a setback for those who sought a more dramatic rollback of the state's gun laws. They had pushed for allowing Wisconsin to join the ranks of four other states that allow "constitutional carry" - giving people the ability to carry hidden guns under the Second Amendment without having to get permits or training.
Wisconsin and Illinois are the only two states have outright bans on carrying concealed weapons, and gun rights advocates have long tried to overturn Wisconsin's ban.
Permits would cost a maximum of $50 and be good for five years. To get one, people would have to offer proof they have passed a course on firearms training, firearms safety or hunter safety.
Whenever they carried concealed weapons, they would have to have their permit and photo ID with them. If they did not, they could be fined $25, though the fee would be waived if they presented their permit and ID within 48 hours.
The database that includes permit holders would not be public record.
People with permits from other states could carry concealed weapons in Wisconsin as long as their home state also required training and background checks.
Guns would be banned from law enforcement offices, prisons, jails, courthouses, secure mental health facilities, schools, and the areas of airports past security checkpoints. Private businesses could post signs banning guns; similar postings could be put up in city halls, the Capitol and other public buildings.
Guns would be allowed in all city and state parks, an issue that raised concerns among some opponents of the bill.
Permit holders could carry guns in taverns and other places that sell alcohol, provided they were not drinking.
Sen. Lena Taylor (D-Milwaukee) said she saw a loophole in the bill because people would be able to drink in some parks while carrying guns.
Last month, the Senate Judiciary Committee approved a "constitutional carry" bill on a 3-2, party-line vote. But shortly thereafter, Republican Gov. Scott Walker said he wanted the bill to require permits and training.
Meanwhile, Milwaukee Police Chief Ed Flynn and Milwaukee District Attorney John Chisholm have sought changes to the bill to stiffen penalties for those who illegally carry guns or buy guns for felons.
The bill the committee passed does not address those issues.
Democrats for years have halted efforts to repeal Wisconsin's concealed weapons ban, but Republicans now control the Legislature and governor's office.
Lawmakers passed bills to allow concealed weapons in 2003 and 2005, but then-Gov. Jim Doyle vetoed them. From then until recently, Democrats were able to block such bills because they controlled at least one house of the Legislature.
Republicans said the measure was essential to allow people to protect themselves, while Democrats said it would make city streets more dangerous.
Those who got permits would also be able to carry Tasers and other electric weapons, which are banned under current law.
Old 06-13-2011, 06:56 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by salukipv1
heard nothing, across the border though....

Wi is an open carry legal, but concealed carry illegal?

Sure if more people got acustom to open carry that would help, but til then I think concealed carry, would solve the worries, since people don't see it, get to carry, and people don't see/aren't worried.

We need a 50 state open/concealed carry, everywhere....
Concealed carry is the way to go without making the anti's crazy. If they can't see it, no problem. WE ARE ALMOST THERE , (CONCEALED CARRY) The Gov. is about to sign it.

Quick Reply: Wisconsin Open Carry Movement

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.