HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Midwest (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/midwest-25/)
-   -   IL Muzzleloader Tag (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/midwest/249731-il-muzzleloader-tag.html)

JohnnyLonghorns 06-18-2008 06:45 AM

IL Muzzleloader Tag

I've always been fortunate enough to get a landowners tag for gun and bow season. Last season I assumed my gun tag also allowed me to hunt muzzleloader season. Apparently that's not the case! So, I just applied for my muzzleloader tag. What are the chances I'll get one and from the other thread, how long does it usually take?

Thanks!

GrandSlamHunter 06-19-2008 07:39 AM

RE: IL Muzzleloader Tag

Illinois regulations are not very clear at all. I have been looking into getting landowner tags. It is my understanding that the gun season tag, if not filled during gun season, is good for muzzleloader season. Have you talked to the DNR?

solocamcan 06-20-2008 06:27 PM

ORIGINAL: JohnnyLonghorns

I've always been fortunate enough to get a landowners tag for gun and bow season. Last season I assumed my gun tag also allowed me to hunt muzzleloader season. Apparently that's not the case! So, I just applied for my muzzleloader tag. What are the chances I'll get one and from the other thread, how long does it usually take?

Thanks!
IF after the regular gun season you have not filled your tag you can use your permitt during muzzleloader season BUT only for a doe.

Kid 06-24-2008 12:19 PM

IF after the regular gun season you have not filled your tag you can use your permitt during muzzleloader season BUT only for a doe.

You sure about that? I know that left over tags can be used for the late winter antlerless only season as long as they are used in the county it was originally issued for and that County is open for the late winter season, but not for muzzleloader only season. Unless the law has recently changed, i don't believe this is true. I would call the DNR to confirm before you take this as gospel. I can find nothing about it on the website.;)

il coyote 06-24-2008 12:39 PM

I think that leftover shotgun and ML tags can be rolled over into late winter(formerly HANDGUN) season, to be used as antlerless only.

Pretty sure that shotgun tags do not become ML tags, only late winter tags.

GrandSlamHunter 06-24-2008 02:19 PM

I copied the follwing from the DNR website.

[align=left]Individuals with unfilled property only hunting firearm permits may also use[/align][align=left]these permits with a muzzleloader during the muzzleloader-only season on[/align]December 12, 13 & 14.

This applies only to landowner tags.

salukipv1 06-24-2008 03:32 PM

in IL, there are 2 gun seasons...and 1 late doe only/antlerless only deer season, which use to be the pistol season etc..

of the 2 gun/slug seasons, you can at least until last year only use your ML during the 2nd gun season and that later season, which now is anythign season....pistol, slug, ML, but doe only....antlerless

so unless things have changed this year, you cannot use a ML during that 1st season, still slug only, so anyone with a ML only tag? could only hunt that 2nd season or that late antlerless only.

and yes a unfilled tag during the slug season allows you to use it during that late season....though I believe you can get one of each....least residents can....

formula1 06-27-2008 08:39 PM

Well, I applied for my NR muzzleloader tag today for S. Illinois. We'll see if we are lucky enough to get it.

cherokee75 06-28-2008 04:20 PM

Do landowner permits only allow does to be taken?

cherokee75 06-28-2008 04:26 PM

salukipv1
I could be misinterpreting your post, but it seems you left out the ML only season altogether. You refer to using your ML for the 2nd firearm season and the late-winter antlerless but do not mention the ML only season.