Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 Illinois Cougars...Again! >

Illinois Cougars...Again!

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Illinois Cougars...Again!

Old 04-16-2008, 03:06 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Illinois Cougars...Again!

Yodel,

They are commonly reported in Iowa and two have been found dead in western Illinois previously. If it was actually a wild one, it was a much shorter trip than from the Black Hills.
Old 04-16-2008, 07:17 PM
Spike

The Sun Times said that the state believes it came down from Wisconsin. They aged it as a two y.o. male and think that we was looking to establish a new territory and followed a track line south. Quite a stretch but anything is possible.
Old 04-17-2008, 06:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

I beleive by law, ifa wild animalan adopted pet or something from a zoo it has to be microchipped, apparently they found no chip embedded in the animal. Thats what I have heard, not sure if theres any truth to it or not...
ORIGINAL: bigangrychicken

Some biologist checked out the cougar and said he was definitely a wild specimen (how do they know that?).
Old 04-17-2008, 08:13 AM
Typical Buck

I heard on the news last night the cat's DNA was checked and was found identical to cats in South Dakota. Long way from home.
Old 04-17-2008, 12:00 PM
Boone & Crockett

I'm not sure, but what little i've read indicates that the cougars in Iowa and elsewhere in the midwest have pretty much been spreading out of the Black Hills area for the last couple of decades.So, i would assume that they would all have similar DNA whether they are brand new arrivals or crossed the mississippi years ago.
Old 04-18-2008, 06:30 AM

ORIGINAL: yodeldog3

I don"t care what some city, self proclaimed, clown says, that is a kept cat. Just think, if that cat came all the way from the black hiils of the Dakodas, does anyone think he"d be as heavy as he was? I think some bozo had him and either got away, or let it go. More people would have seen it. About 20 25 miles to the north people say they saw a couger 1 or 2 days before, could be the same cat, but that don"t mean it was from the wild. Just a little hard to belive, Just like the coyote that got into a Quiznos down town late last year. The dog walked into the store like he wanted a sandwitch of the day, he to 'I think' had human contact.......IMHO
I agree 100% that Cougar wasnt starving at 150lbs he was a pet and either got away or was let loose from a person that should not be allowed to have an animal like that..

MrGobbler
Old 04-18-2008, 07:38 AM
Bartender

One spotted right down the road this morning around 04:30 near Abbott Park, North Chicago/Waukegan area by a security guard.

Tones you are correct my friend.

MrGobb I am sure that cougar ate very well in our area. With all the deer around these parts he had great eats.
As for you yodel you think that cougar traveled in a very short time, not a chance. That thing had claws and captive
cougars are declawed.
Take the wolves that came from Minnesota/Canada border that ended up down here in southern Wisconsin they had the
radio collers for proof. The one that was hit by a car was pretty dang healthy.
We have 3 seperate confirmed sightings of cougars since this one was shot the other day down here.
So give the animals some credit and with this being said lets see what comes out from the DNA testing.

Kind of like Illinois having no bears in the state so they have to make up some schmucks and call them the bears.

T
Old 04-18-2008, 03:36 PM
Typical Buck

I still don"t belive that that couger came from the wild, cats are way to alusive to come that far into a urban area, IMO. coyotes,and fox will set up house close to humans, we all know that, but a cat, I just find it hard to belive. I know there"s plenty of food around for a couger to live, and that most kept cats are de-clawed, but the cop that shot it said it walked up to himm, and he layed it out.