Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 Illinois non-resident archery permits >

Illinois non-resident archery permits

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Illinois non-resident archery permits

Old 02-24-2003, 05:25 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Illinois non-resident archery permits

beej99, there is no lottery for archery tags, but there is a quota of a little over 12000, and I think they sold those in about 3 weeks last year. I always try and get mine within a couple of days after they go on sale, just to be on the safe side.
Old 02-25-2003, 04:28 PM

Big Country.... glad you can " call ' em like you see ' em" ..... you must have good " eyesight" to see all that way from PA!!!!!

JRW is correct. Both IL bowhunting organizations opposed the tag fee increase that the outfitters suggested (to make up for the decreased revenue from fewer permits).

I' m sure the outitters you " read about or know" are going to say they were against it, too. Why would they want their clients (not specifically referring to you) to know they were for it?
Old 02-25-2003, 07:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don`t have the numbers right here in front of me, but I do remember, for certain, that in 2001(the first year for limited NR tags) that 2000 people were turned away because the tags were sold out.

There were, and still are 12,843 NR archery tags for sale annually. The first year(2001) it took almost 7 weeks to sell out.

In 2002 it took 3 weeks and 5 days to sell them all.

This is just a guess, but I would think that anyone planning on going with an outfitter would surely have gotten their tags on time.

I don`t know why an outfitter would want a higher tag price, which would possibly drive potential clients away.

On the flip side would be the resident hunters who don`t like the outfitters leasing up ground that they have had the privilege of hunting for free for years.

Now raising NR tags to the point of driving non-residents away, that would seem to fit in nicely!

And yes, my eyes are good. I probably, no, I do spend more time bowhunting Illinois than the average resident does. And have made many, many good friends and aquintances along the way.
Old 02-26-2003, 06:57 AM

Big Country, on the surface, it would SEEM that way........

Do you think that outfitters will lose clients because of high tag fees? Think about it..... if someone is willing to pay a few thousand dollars to hunt with an outfitter, is an extra couple hundred bucks going to keep them away? Also, the higher the tags go, the more " average" NR' s it will keep away..... I' m talking about the friends and relatives that already have private land to hunt and a place to stay. The ones that come back and hunt as a family. If the outfitters can keep more people like that at home because of high prices, that leaves more tags for their higher-priced clients to buy who don' t care about the price. Are you seeing the picture now?

The time it took tags to sell out between the two years is irrelevant. Not many people knew about it the first year, hence the longer time it took to sell them out, and the more people that got turned away because they thought they could just buy them over the counter. I do agree, however, that there' s no excuse to not get a tag when you have over three weeks to buy it. Why are there no statistics on how many people were turned away this year? Think maybe because it' s going down? The scenario I mentioned in my first paragraph is starting to come true. I already know a few friends who did not buy permits last year. That' s two more permits that were made available to the outfitters' clients, and the little guy got left out because of the price.

Also, since it' s so easy for you to believe that residents only want NR' s out altogether..... it' s that little guy, OUR friends and relatives, that we' re also looking out for. Why would we want to raise the fees for our friends and relatives who come back home to hunt with us?

So.... now can you see how outfitters would be in favor of a price increase, and resident hunters are against them?
Old 02-26-2003, 07:15 AM
Fork Horn

I have heard a rumor that Non-resident archery permits are going to cost $500 this year, and they are going to use the lottery system.
Do any of you Illinois hunters know anything about this?
I know I might be a bit off subject here, but are the price of tags gonna go up?
Old 02-26-2003, 10:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

hc4runner....Ill. DNR says they know nothing about a raise in fees. That means nothing though. Personally, I would be surprised to see one this year.

KC-IL.....Looking at your post objectively, that could be correct. In all honesty, I have only heard any animosity about NR hunters in Illinois from one person in all the years I have been going there. I have heard a fair amount of it on this site in the last 15 months.(that is how long I have been coming here)

As far as outfitters go in Illinois....hard to rule out anything by some of them. I know a few outfitters in the Pike, Calhoun, and Adams area, and some of them are real nice, and good outfitters. I have also had two nationally known outfitters drop high paying hunters off on my property and tell them to hunt it. Told the hunters it was ground they were saving for special clients, gave them a climber and just dropped them off.

I would be pretty upset if I was paying a ridiculous amount of money to a man that knowingly had me tresspass on anothers ground.

And, regardless of who wants the rate hikes, it will eventually hurt the local economy when it gets to the point that non-residents don`t want to pay that much.
Old 02-27-2003, 08:16 PM
Spike

NR Archery tags for Illinois are no longer sold over the counter. As far as I know there is no lottery but you must apply for the permit directly from IDNR. They do place a cap on the amount that are sold and they were sold out last year by August. I have not heard anything about changes in fees other than those that were made the past two years.....however.......there is a new sherriff (Gov Blago) in town and his past record is not good news at all for gun owners and sportsmen. This clown in the past has introduced many anti-gun bills and now that he is in the gov seat and controls both the Illinois House and Senate with fellow liberal democrats.......anything that discourages participation in any type of hunting would not surprise me at all. This is the same guy who proposed that the Firearm Owners Identification Card fees be raised to $500 from $5. Former IDNR Director Brent Manning has already been forced out so Mr Anti-Gunner himself will be handpicking the replacement. Nothing would surprise me. This is a situation to keep a weary eye on.
Old 02-27-2003, 08:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

bowhuntin1, thank`s for the heads up!

I talked on the phone with Brent Manning when the cap was being considered before the 2001 season. In all honesty, I wasn`t real impressed with his thoughts on the subject, but he did take the time to talk to me.

As far as your new governer... You guys in Illinois have to figure out a way to carve the Chicago area off of the map, and give it to someone else.

They would probably feel right at home in NYC.
Old 02-28-2003, 11:37 AM

Big Country, thanks for the objectivity. Just trying to point out different views. Not all outfitters are crooks, not an NR' s are bad, and not all residents want to ban NR' s. It' s just the other side of those equations that make us all look bad.
Old 02-28-2003, 02:45 PM
Spike

Yo Big Country...you are thinking just like me.......Chicago would fit right in with Bill and Hillary. By the way.......there was a push being made last summer to divide Illinois into North and South Illinois with everything south of Springfield being in the south and having Carbondale as the capitol. It went dead a few months ago but I am starting to see rumblings of discontent with this new administration and would not at all be surprised to see this thing fire back up.

Quick Reply: Illinois non-resident archery permits

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.