Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Michigan guys

Old 04-12-2008, 09:20 AM
RT1
Fork Horn

Default Michigan guys

1.Where do you hunt
2.How many acres
3.Do you have a foodplot and what food plot mix do you use?
4.Good results with your foodplot and type of seed?

Feel free to send pictures
Old 04-13-2008, 07:38 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Michigan guys

1. Eastern Missaukee County.
2. 42
3. I currently do not have any food plots. On a small property, security cover is much more important for holding deer than food plots.

"Feel free to send pictures"

Old 04-13-2008, 01:26 PM
Fork Horn

Hillsdale,Lenawee County
20 but hunt 300 all connected and just got 243 acers in lenawee county
On my property i have 1 but am planting 4 more this year and alot of warm season grasses
But dont know how it will work
Old 04-13-2008, 02:46 PM
Fork Horn

I have a 106 acre lease inLapeer county. The landowner has about 5 acres of thatin hay.
I planted about a1 acre food plotsecluded in the woods.It is about 80%Imperial Whitetail Clover, and the remaining 20% I rotate. Last year I had Biologic Maximum, and this year it will be Chicory.
My 106 acresis bordered by another 500 acres or so of timber and some smallhay fields.I have seen easily 3 times the deer since I put the Imperial plotin the timber. I had 6 bucks in the plot last year at the same time while on stand. It was a lot of work that I did by hand since I dont own any equipment. It has been well worth the effort.
Old 04-15-2008, 06:15 AM
RT1
Fork Horn

Only 3 responses from Michgan?
Old 04-15-2008, 06:42 AM
Spike

Menominee County
32 acres, mixed hardwoods, good water source, and thick 1/4 of it young white pine.

I have planted chinease chestnut. I plan on some apple tree's too. I was looking at sawtooth oak, but found out its an exotic species, which I already have a problem with (autumn/russian olive). I am getting a soil sample turned in today since I finally got a day off. I know the ph is going to way bad, living on beach sand off of Green Bay waters. So for now, invest in tree's.
Old 04-15-2008, 06:17 PM
Fork Horn

Baldwin, MI
Own 40 acres and lease 80 more surrounded by state land
have about 1/2 acre of buck forage oats in the fall, the deer hit them good in october but thats about it, but they hit them hard for that month
We had pretty good results for no lime and acidic soil, im putting down some lime this weekend so we'll see what happens this year
Like Bob said, cover is the key to deer, since it is open by us and there is a lot of state land where if anything moves it is shot we only see about 5 bucks a year between 5 guys, if its thick the bucks will go there, food plots only do so much, mainly just bring in the does by us.
Old 04-16-2008, 10:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Arenac/Gladwin County,
About 100 acres, 30 acres of hardwoods with100 acres of CRP and ag fields around it. Some woods on the neighboring properties, mostly small parcels with fingers of woods running to bigger portions of woods,but mostly ag. fields. Don't use any food plots, we're still allowed to bait so we have a couple small bait piles. I agree with Bob S. Good cover is a key. Our blinds are set up on the edges of the woods and no one really enters the woods prior to deer season unless the rare person bowhunts. We also have a sanctuary area of5 acres of thick pines and hardwoods with a water source that NO ONE enters unless trailing a deer or rabbit hunting after the season. I really think this helps. WithA lot of the area gettinggood hunting pressure, this area isreal thick and the deer know they won't be disturbed.I don't have any pictures uploaded at work, but area looks like Bob S. pictures, except without the monster buck . I think the key is to have some pines which give great security cover. All these smart bucks need is a few to break up there silouette and give them a direction to run so they won't be seen. A good food plot will def. help, but Cover in my experience on lots under 100 acres is the key, especially if the huntingland around you is hunted hard. You may disagree, but many people plant food plots and have feed, but few concentrate on good habitat for them to bed in. These deer all spread out to feed, but if there is a good bedding area, they will all come back to that place for safety. Catch the big boys on the way out of bedding right before sunset and catch them on there way in right at dawn. Just my 2 cents, hope it helps. If anyone disagrees, please let me know, the more info I can get the better, always looking for better information! That deer of my dream still is out there somewhere and I want him on my hunting land come, 7:15 AM November 15th!!
Old 04-17-2008, 04:48 AM

Onondaga Michigan great deer an turkey area love hunting those wheat fields here in another week

MrGobbler
Old 04-20-2008, 03:15 PM
Fork Horn

Calhoun county
approx 200 acres, with swamp in the middle
no food plots as of now but prolly 1/4 it crops.

Quick Reply: Michigan guys

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.