Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 Antler restrictions in Missouri - opinions >

Antler restrictions in Missouri - opinions

Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Antler restrictions in Missouri - opinions

Old 05-08-2008, 04:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Antler restrictions in Missouri - opinions

you know what they will probably make next,
a beard has to be at least 10 inches long to shoot legally
Old 05-08-2008, 05:04 PM
Typical Buck

Each to their own. Everyone can't be pleased all the time so we go with the majority.

Missouri has one of the best if not the best Conservation Departments in the US. Money made it like it, whether it be stocking, purchasing land to hunt, food plots, or managing wildlife. This to me thisis the best of hunting times I have ever seen in over 45 years of hunting.

Spudrow from Mo
Old 05-08-2008, 06:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

very true spudrow. of course i'm not old enough to remember that far back.

and the conservation dept is not managing the herd just for residents of missouri. they do these regulations to keep the herd in check and to ensure that Everyone will have an opportunity to hunt 10 or even 15 years from now. and we dont end up with overpopulation or the problem we had not that long ago which was we had almost killed em all.
Old 05-09-2008, 06:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hunt PA as one of my states. I can telll you that the 1st 2 years you will see mistake bucks that do not meet requirements. Then in the 3rd or 4th year you will see a down turn in the amount of hunters as they do not have the time to put in the woods so they will kill the does quick on the 1st day and leave. Saying that they will also kill a bunch of button bucks.
Now comes the argument get in the woods scout etc. Well it ain't going to happen, people don't have time or make time etc. Thus popularity of pay for game farms and leases where herds are mnanaged to a larger extent. You manage your deer and know where they be.

In PA we are harvesting bigger racks, we have less guys in the woods after the first 2 days, thus less pressure on deer in 2 week gun season. How ever (again) we change the way we hunt because seeing 4 points on one side before you pull the trigger in thick brush or over 100 yards is tough. Our drives are more stalks and smaller, slower in nature.

There is a big hunting adjustment in antler restriction besides just counting points!