Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 Antler restrictions in Missouri - opinions >

Antler restrictions in Missouri - opinions

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Antler restrictions in Missouri - opinions

Old 03-31-2008, 12:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Antler restrictions in Missouri - opinions

ORIGINAL: JohnnyLonghorns

If they want larger bucks why don't they eliminate the rifles???
first thing i told my dad when we started talking about it! look at illinois, and iowa. two of the best deer hunting states in the country, neither of them can use a rifle. a lot more bucks will live older, if you cant shoot them at 300 yards.
Old 03-31-2008, 12:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: il coyote

Sorry, but I do not think it is rightfor the statetell a hunter he can't shoot a young buck because another hunter doesn't want him to. Matters like this need to be dealt with privately.

I'm sure that AR's help to a degree, But all too often it comes with a higher cost to many hunters in the area.

I'd like to see some info on who is for/against AR's, and how theiropinion relates to the security of being able to hunt the same property for a long # of years.
x2

I agree with you. Some people just have to kill a buck no matter what it is.
and they should have the right to

While I regularly pass on young bucks and encourage others to do so, I don't like the idea of the Conservation Commission telling a first-time hunter that they can't shoot a young buck. When I first started hunting, it was exciting to see and shoot a deer, whether it was a doe, small buck or wall-hanger. One of my first bucks was a fork. To me, it's sort of a rite of passage.
my first 2 bucks are a 3 point, and a little 6, before i killed my 5th deer, id shoot whatever walked by! and you should be able to, especially if youre young, or just starting out!

Old 03-31-2008, 12:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: CCSD34

well, i guess that worked for you guys in IL. I personally love to rifle hunt and would hate to lose that option.
my whole family used to too! then guess what, we switched to muzzleloader and have killed just as many deer with it!
Old 03-31-2008, 12:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Although it has not been in place where I normally hunt, I voted for it earlier this year on the Conservation website. The only downfall I see is not being able to take out the inferior mature bucks because they don't meet the antler restrictions.
Old 03-31-2008, 04:01 PM

In my opinion I hope we get them this year. There are enough deer in most area of the state now, that filling a tag for meat isnt a problem, I would rather shoot a doe than an immature buck, I just dont see a reason to shoot young bucks, but everyone has their own opinion on it. We have been protecting young bucks on our property for several years, and I can say there has been a significant increase of mature bucks on the property since they are able to reach mature age. We also have a couple neighbors doing the same thing, our only problem is a piece of neighboring property lets many hunt on it, and they shoot everything that looks like a deer. This past season, there were 7 bucks taken off that property and the largest was a 5 pointer, and all were 1 1/2 year olds. That really took out a lot of our bucks we have passed. There has also been a huge increase in people hunting that property since word is getting out about the size of some of our bucks in the area. If people give it a chance I think most will appreciate it after a few years. I also think the youth hunters should be able to take whatever they choose. The best scenario would be to propect young bucks under a certain age, but that would be impossible for everyone to judge age accurately before taking the shot, I judge by age more than antler points, but antler points are the easiest way for everyone to follow the same rules. These are just my $.02 but I hope in May they tell us they are going state wide with ARs.
Old 04-01-2008, 09:49 AM
Typical Buck

Yes everyone wants the ar to come to misssouri. Are they going to let us shoot more does? They are going to tell us we can't shoot small bucks. The really nice bucks are a good thing, the only problem is they haven't made a recipe for horns yet. Most people who hunt big mature bucks are mainly hunting for the head, not everyone, but most. How is the conservation going to enforce the AR. With the tel-check nobody knows who kills what. People are still going to take small bucks bottom line. Hunting is hunting, most of the people in southeast Mo hunt for food. Big bucks taste like sh*t. Little deer taste better,bottom line. If a person wants a big buck good for them, but to tell everyone who pays for hunting license,tags,gear and gas that they can only shoot what the conservation and the trophy hunters want is a bunch of crap. What are they going to regulate next? Big bucks are everywhere,if you can't find them get a little farther from your truck. Iv'e hunted in Mo all my life, killed really nice bucks and I hunt public land, but if we let the government regulate our hunting rights and TELL us what we can or can't shoot it will be a never ending process. If people like the hunting in Ill and Iowa then go there and kill their bucks.
Old 04-01-2008, 09:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: turkey harvester

Yes everyone wants the ar to come to misssouri. Are they going to let us shoot more does? They are going to tell us we can't shoot small bucks. The really nice bucks are a good thing, the only problem is they haven't made a recipe for horns yet. Most people who hunt big mature bucks are mainly hunting for the head, not everyone, but most. How is the conservation going to enforce the AR. With the tel-check nobody knows who kills what. People are still going to take small bucks bottom line. Hunting is hunting, most of the people in southeast Mo hunt for food. Big bucks taste like sh*t. Little deer taste better,bottom line. If a person wants a big buck good for them, but to tell everyone who pays for hunting license,tags,gear and gas that they can only shoot what the conservation and the trophy hunters want is a bunch of crap. What are they going to regulate next? Big bucks are everywhere,if you can't find them get a little farther from your truck. Iv'e hunted in Mo all my life, killed really nice bucks and I hunt public land, but if we let the government regulate our hunting rights and TELL us what we can or can't shoot it will be a never ending process. If people like the hunting in Ill and Iowa then go there and kill their bucks.
i hunt butler and stoddard counties a lot every year, and youre right, most of the people we know down there, shoot whatever walks by, if it was the law or not, they would still do it. which they should be able to

and the second thing i bolded, i completely agree with.

and my family gets on plenty of good bucks every year, if people actually knew what they were doing, theyd be able to also, without the government having to practice QDM FOR THEM.
Old 04-02-2008, 06:20 AM

I guess this is just another one of those things that some people agree with and some dont. All of you guys that are against the AR make valid points and I understand where you are coming from. I guess thats the advantage to being able to hunt private ground. That way you can manage the deer herd the way you want.
Old 04-02-2008, 04:44 PM

I guess thats the advantage to being able to hunt private ground. That way you can manage the deer herd the way you want.
But, it sounds like the government will be managing the herd for us. Again, I support voluntary participation in QDM. But the antler restrictions aren't necessary.

Old 04-10-2008, 02:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: turkey harvester

Yes everyone wants the ar to come to misssouri. Are they going to let us shoot more does?
How many do you want to shoot??? Isn't Unlimited enough???

Quick Reply: Antler restrictions in Missouri - opinions

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.