Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 Confirmed Cougar Sighting in Southern Illinois >

Confirmed Cougar Sighting in Southern Illinois

Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Confirmed Cougar Sighting in Southern Illinois

Old 09-06-2008, 08:11 AM

Default RE: Confirmed Cougar Sighting in Southern Illinois

The only reason scientist don't think there is a cougar population in Illinois is because they would have a hard time crossing the Mississippi river but they have found cougars in Michigan, so we know they have crossed the river, now it just a matter of time until the population moves south. Cougars used to be everywhere give it another 10 or 15 years and it will be another animal that we know is in the woods with us. Who knows maybe there will be enough in my life time that I can hunt cougar in southern Illinois.
Old 09-06-2008, 07:25 PM
Fork Horn

I don't believe IL or IN could have a cougar population period. there is not enough unbroken tracts of timber to support a poulation. Everyone and their brother swears they have seen a cougar in Indiana, I just don't believe it at all.
Old 09-06-2008, 08:15 PM

Except the ones that escape the exotic feline rescue center in midwest indiana!
Old 09-06-2008, 09:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Beehunter

I don't believe IL or IN could have a cougar population period. there is not enough unbroken tracts of timber to support a poulation. Everyone and their brother swears they have seen a cougar in Indiana, I just don't believe it at all.
I beg to differ. Look at Iowa.I'm pretty sure that they have a small breeding population now. That state is no different than Illinois or Indiana. Shawnee National Forest contains almost the southern third of the state. Believe me. That place could hold a substanial amount of cougars.
Old 09-07-2008, 05:33 PM

i will have to side with 2 Lunger, im not claiming i have seen a cougar, but i hunt southern illinois, and there are parts of shawnee to this day that are untouched. theie in there just a matter of where. say what you will but i carry my taurus .45 with me when i hunt shawnee