Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 future of Illinois hunting >

future of Illinois hunting

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

future of Illinois hunting

Old 12-07-2007, 08:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default future of Illinois hunting

I was wondering everyones thoughts on the future of deer hunting in Illinois.With all the outfitters and land leasing what does the future hold?
Old 12-07-2007, 08:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: future of Illinois hunting

ORIGINAL: dprsdhunter

I was wondering everyones thoughts on the future of deer hunting in Illinois.With all the outfitters and land leasing what does the future hold?
I think it sucks, I might be ok, but my son might have a hard time finding a place besides public land, which by then will be overflowing. And added to leaseing is that it seems EVERYBODY wants to live in the country now, there are mini subdivisions going up everywhere.
Old 12-07-2007, 09:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree. Over by me its darn near impossable to find private land and it is getting harder every year. Outfitters have lots leased ans lots of others are leased to out of staters. Dont get me wrong , I understand what its all about . ---You really cant blame the landowners/farmers.Its anotherway to make moneyoff their land.Its just what deer hunting has become.
But what gets me is that everyone wants to be an outfitter.
Old 12-07-2007, 11:48 PM
Spike

There is plenty of good public land that will remain that way.
Old 12-08-2007, 12:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: ChicagoTRS

There is plenty of good public land that will remain that way.
I disagree because of the "numbers game", the more private land that is lost to us locals who have been hunting that piece of land since kids or however old, due to outfitters,the more demand for a place to hunt, which unless we want to choke up 3500.00 a week, will be public land. Public land in Central IL is usually around 2000 to 4000 acres, and not all of that is huntable or even timber ground. So it won't take to many more hunters on that land to make it not even worth it.
Old 12-08-2007, 07:57 AM
Spike

Although I agree that it is getting very hard to find a place to hunt reasonably, and the economics of deer hunting land in Illinois is beyond my middle class income; there is one positive aspect to the outfitter trend. An outfitter will/ should at least help preserve the habitat and herd, in order to sustain his income potential as well as the land owner's. With population growth, home building expansion, increased revenue potential from crops (ie corn/ethanol) vs. CRP or timber; those landowners are ever more hard pressed leaving those woods and fields aside for hunting. Unfortunately, I don't see how this trend can be altered for the better. It just now comes down to, "If you want to play, then you'll have to pay".
Old 12-08-2007, 09:45 AM
Zim
Nontypical Buck

Currently, all my hunting in Illinois is on public land. I am fortunate in that the closest property has a strict quota on the number of hunters, and good buck quality, so I hope that spot does not change. As to these others, I have to say I've not seen more pressure than usual. However, my friends have told me they observed more pressure in their usual areas, from lease displaced resident hunters. I believe them. Still, public land is a constantly evolving puzzle I enjoy solving. I enjoy looking for sign and finding the spots others walk past. I think there will always be such places. If it ever does get too bad, I would be willing tolease private somewhere. Hopefully I'll have some coin to burn by that time.
Old 12-08-2007, 09:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

QUESTION FOR ZIM
This may seem stupid but its something I have seriously thought about.
How do you get your deer out when hunting public land? I have hunted some public land and it seems that getting one down in some locations would be a long drag.
Old 12-08-2007, 02:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well...Almost all land around Gallatin County is leased!! I'm 14 and he says it all the time..I feel sorry for you..I ask why... yearsfrom now you won't have a place to hunt.Well luckily I am friends with many farmers and outfitters!!

Old 12-08-2007, 07:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Im freinds with farmers myself and know SEVERAL land owners myslf from my line of work. . But they cant let you hunt if they have leasded their ground out. Heck I know one farmer that has @ 1500 acres of some of the best hunting you could ask for . I have known him most my life, grew up close to him and know one of his sons fairly well. I still cant hunt his land cause its leased to outfitters. I know afew outfitters as well but cant hunt their ground un less I want to pay. I dont blame them---its called business.
When I was younge I thought the same as you, But alittle advice --things have changed and will only continue to change.

Quick Reply: future of Illinois hunting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.