HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Midwest (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/midwest-25/)
-   -   IDNR Snakes/Cats ? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/midwest/220329-idnr-snakes-cats.html)

drstalker 11-30-2007 06:35 PM

IDNR Snakes/Cats ?

I hunted the first firearms season in southern Illinois on my uncles property recently and he showed me tracks from one of two cougars that have been seen in the area.Iusually bow hunt the day before slug season opens up.Anyhow while bowhunting earlythat morning I did indeed see a cub or kit from the female cougar near my stand which I thought was really neat.After talking with my uncle he told me something he was told from a retiredIDNRguy,and that was that the IDNR has released rattle snakes and cougars in the area.We never hear of these things and the IDNR initially denied releasing bobcats in Illinois.The stunning thing that I was told from a good friend recently(that hunts near Farina IL)that a plane flying slowly over the area was throwing snakes out of a plane,it was reported to the local police bya relative of his,and she was told the it was the IDNR doing it.My good friend told me that the snakes are a non reproducing snake that they released to eat turkey eggs and such.Why doesn't the state just issue more turkey permits and or lenghthen the season?I was just wondering if any of other guys from Illinois knew any of this.The cougars in the area where I hunt made me pretty nervous while walking to my stand at dark morning.

sjsfire 12-01-2007 09:34 AM

RE: IDNR Snakes/Cats ?

I'm just gonna sit back and keep an eye on this thread...........

11pt 12-01-2007 10:03 AM

Well I'm glad they're finally doing something aboutall thosestupid turkeys! Man I hate those things.Of course anyone who's seen Jurassic Park can tell you, those snakes are eventually going to find a way to reproduce. They'll probably breed with native rattlers to create a race of super-snakes and the state will have to air-drop genetically engineered super-mongooses (or is it mongeese?) to hunt them down!

Man you made my day.....

cherokee75 12-01-2007 10:09 AM

I have no doubts that there are wild cougars roaming IL as there have been sightings in my neck of the woods. Also, in New Boston, IL or near it a few years ago,a hunter found a dead cougar. It was on the local news and in the local paper. As far as the DNR releasing rattlesnakes and cougars, that doesn't seem very likely to me. Since when have turkeys been so abundant that the DNR is trying to keep their numbers down? And to use rattlesnakes?

Pat Curtis 12-01-2007 11:40 AM

The first thing they would probablydo is extend the season and/or offer larger bag limits. The DNR will do anything to bring more money in. Buying wildlife and secretly releasing them to the wild doesn't seem logical in this case.

drstalker 12-01-2007 11:55 AM

I find it hard to believe also about the snakes,but I heard it from two different folks in areas that are about 100 miles apart.Cougars don't need to be introduced into an area,they are known to roam and can range around 50 miles whithin a week,I beleive I read that somewhere.Last spring I saw what looked like a cougar near Mahomet Illinois while I was traveling west on interstate 74.

karabiner 12-01-2007 03:06 PM

Which is/ was it? Cougars or Bobcats? As to the rattlers, there is a species of snake native to Illinois which has the capablity to rattle; but don't get it confused with the Western Diamondback. Snakes thrown from a plane?????? Maybe those were items Gov. Ryan throwing out on his way to jail.

sjsfire 12-01-2007 04:01 PM

ORIGINAL: drstalker

I hunted the first firearms season in southern Illinois on my uncles property recently and he showed me tracks from one of two cougars that have been seen in the area.Iusually bow hunt the day before slug season opens up.Anyhow while bowhunting earlythat morning I did indeed see a cub or kit from the female cougar near my stand which I thought was really neat.After talking with my uncle he told me something he was told from a retiredIDNRguy,and that was that the IDNR has released rattle snakes and cougars in the area.We never hear of these things and the IDNR initially denied releasing bobcats in Illinois.The stunning thing that I was told from a good friend recently(that hunts near Farina IL)that a plane flying slowly over the area was throwing snakes out of a plane,it was reported to the local police bya relative of his,and she was told the it was the IDNR doing it.My good friend told me that the snakes are a non reproducing snake that they released to eat turkey eggs and such.Why doesn't the state just issue more turkey permits and or lenghthen the season?I was just wondering if any of other guys from Illinois knew any of this.The cougars in the area where I hunt made me pretty nervous while walking to my stand at dark morning.

I'm thinking this would be a good experiment for the Myth Busters Show. Would any snake survive being dropped out of a air plane?? Maybe

11pt 12-01-2007 05:13 PM

As to the rattlers, there is a species of snake native to Illinois which has the capablity to rattle; but don't get it confused with the Western Diamondback.
Actually, southern Illinois does have timber rattlers (some quite large), copperheads, and cottonmouths....but I would take any one of them over the brown recluses any day.

GSPsnFORDs 12-01-2007 05:54 PM

I doa lot of hunting near Okawville and have seen a bobcat only 1 time. But I know others that have seen them multiple times and have even seen cubs following their mother. So I do know bobcat arounds.

Apparently down in Coulterville there was a Cougar that was shot during the first shotgun season. IDNR came out to the guy's place and wanted to ask questions...said he wasn't in trouble for shooting it and said the IDNR just wanted to know if Cougars really were around. I have also talked to somebody who knew somebody who had shot a Cougar during the first shotgun season too. Also know of some pictures of Cougar tracks south of the Okawville area. There have also been plenty of recent reports around my hunting area (more south of where I hunt) about Cougar sitings.

I know, this is a lot of 2nd hand info, but I believe it all based on the people that I'm hearing it from....so yeah, I think there's Cougars around now.

So.IL_Slinger 12-01-2007 05:58 PM

I've been within 3 ft. of 3 different rattlers in the last 3 years, so yeah they're here, though I don't think dnr denies their existence. as far as cougars, yeah they're here to. 2 out of 3 people around here have seen one.

sjsfire 12-02-2007 07:48 AM

ORIGINAL: So.IL_Slinger

I've been within 3 ft. of 3 different rattlers in the last 3 years, so yeah they're here, though I don't think dnr denies their existence. as far as cougars, yeah they're here to. 2 out of 3 people around here have seen one.

Oh I've seen the rattlesnakes too, It's the story of them dropping them out of the plane that I doubt......

442deer 12-02-2007 09:30 AM

I live in Douglas county and my Dad swears up and down he saw a "very large cat, bigger than a german shepard" I have never had a reason to doubt 'ol Dad in all of my 33 years, but I dunno....
However, I have seen a bunch of bobcats further south, they are fun to watch.
I hunt about 1 mile from Dad's cat sighting, so for my own sanity I'm gonna CHOOSE to dismiss this one.

drstalker 12-02-2007 10:31 AM

GPSandfords,I hunt Franklin county near Ewing,Whitington and Maccedonia,that is where the couugars have been seen.

dayna0306 12-02-2007 01:43 PM

Will rattlers no not eat eggs ,only warm blooded animals. 2nd. when it snows get out there and film those cougar tracks and post them.

[/align]

bowman15 12-02-2007 03:53 PM

I saw a cougar, (or at least a cat TWICE the size of a bobcat) up in northern-Illinois. I live in the N.E. corner of LaSalle county and I saw it while I was driving home late one night. It was about 100 yards ahead of me and crossed the road left to right. It was just barely inside the headlight-beams, but there was no doubt what it was.

I have a good friend who's a pretty experienced outdoorsman who saw a timber rattler crawl under his shed in northern Illinois. He lived in Tinley Park at the time. I doubt the DNR dropped them in the middle of town....
I think if an animal can walk, and it doesn't get shot or hit by a car/truck/train, it could end up anywhere.

442deer 12-02-2007 06:26 PM

Yeah, cougars are known for driving home late at night.....

DUMB BASS 12-03-2007 07:52 AM

Iusually bow hunt the day before slug season opens up.Anyhow while bowhunting earlythat morning I did indeed see a cub or kit from the female cougar near my stand which I thought was really neat.
So you saw a baby cougar in mid- November???

We get all kinds of reports on SILO as well... Plenty of rattlers; true, but it wasn't from Snakes on a Plane...

eelriver 12-03-2007 10:38 AM

I heard the rattle snake BS from a cousin. He claims they were released in Brown County Indiana to control turkey? :eek: Let's start a new one........how about the deer eating python that escaped from the circus!:D

Lanse couche couche 12-03-2007 10:47 AM

Since cougars are well documented in Iowa, and in Missouri (I think) as well, it shouldn't be any surprise that they are popping up in Illinois. As for the snakes, have there been any sightings of Samuel L. Jackson in that same area. Maybe they are filming Snakes on a Plane II.

bowman15 12-03-2007 06:48 PM

ORIGINAL: 442deer

Yeah, cougars are known for driving home late at night.....

Hey, I edited it for you. Is that better?

guide1 12-04-2007 05:25 PM

General Information: Massasaugas are small snakes with thick bodies, heart-shaped heads and vertical pupils. The average length of an adult is about 2 feet. Adult massasaugas are gray or light brown with large, light-edged chocolate brown blotches on the back and smaller blotches on the sides. The snake's belly is marbled dark gray or black and there is a narrow, white stripe on its head. Its tail has several dark brown rings and is tipped by gray-yellow horny rattles. Young snakes have the same markings, but are more vividly colored. The head is a triangular shape and the pupils are vertical.

States/US Territories in which the Eastern Massasauga (=rattlesnake) is known to occur: Illinois , Indiana , Iowa , Michigan , Minnesota , Missouri , New York , Ohio , Pennsylvania , Wisconsin
Countries in which the Eastern Massasauga (=rattlesnake) is known to occur: Canada
For more information, please see:
[ul]http://www.fws.gov/midwest/Endangered/reptiles/eama-fct-sht.html
[/ul]

[/align]Rattlesnakes are in these states, as mentioned above, but are endangered![/align]

GTOHunter 12-04-2007 07:22 PM

I remember the TV Show WKRP in Cinncinati....didn't they throw Turkeys from a helicopter,and they couldn't fly and they all fell to their death? :eek::D

I think thats what happened to all the Rattle Snakes in Illinois!!!! [&:];)

Bobcats are pretty well around in most of the States in the US of A....this past november during Rifle Season I had a decent size Female Bobcat with 2 small Bobcat Kittens walk up to my ladder stand and look around a while then leave down a logging road.My Neighbor has 2 pictures of a large cat on her digital camera,I told her when she gets it developed I would give her some money to burn me a CD of the cat so I could post it.Guess I need to get that pic CD to back what is on the camera....I looked at the picture on the small LED screen and it is something pretty large and tan in color...just not a good picture because of the distance and size of the camera screen,but her and her Sister In-law have both seen the cat at different times on the same property about 100-200 yards from the back side of where I Bow Hunt.Kinda scarey to think I've walked home in the dark several times after hunting by myself. [&:]

ChicagoTRS 12-04-2007 08:44 PM

I have seen a bobcat 10 yardsfrom my stand...

As for Mountain Lions young males are known to roam to find a territory. It is likely a few find their way across the missisippi via bridges every year looking for territory. Unknown whether any females are in the state so a population can get started. If you do see one you can shoot it as it is considered a nonnative species.

As for snakes...no reason to release them. Plenty of copperheads, timber rattlers insouthern IL.

LLBUX 12-05-2007 07:42 AM

Where arethe pix of these recent hunter-killed mountain lions? People have pix of everything that is real(and many things which aren't)!

With all the game cameras out today, surely someone would have a clear pic of a wild mountain lion in IL.(not photoshopped)

I believe there may be a few out there, but I also believe many people are just full of malarkey.

Gingerbear 12-05-2007 03:27 PM

Nebraska denied having cougars too...until someone killed one on interstate just days after the local deputies shot one to death in downtown Omaha!

s. il. hntr 12-06-2007 12:16 AM

CPOs were notified by a New Boston resident in Rock Island that a male cougar was found dead. The resident was on his way out to deer hunt when he discovered the cougar approximately 100 yards behind his residence. In the preliminary investigation, the cougar appeared to had been shot in the right shoulder exiting through the left shoulder with a bow & arrow. The exit wound was infected but the cougar’s hair was not slipping and the eyes were not sunken. Thus, leading the officers to believe that the cougar lived for awhile after it was shot and only being dead for a couple of days. The cougar was not declawed and did not appear to be missing any teeth. The CPOs took the following (approximate) measurements: Overall Length- Tip of nose to tail-- 7'1"; Girth-- 28" Top of front shoulder to paw-- 29"; Head Circumference-- 18 ½"; Width of front paw-- 4"; Width of back paw-- 3"; and Weight--95lbs.

bowman15 12-06-2007 04:21 AM

Man, look at the paws on that thing. Could you imagine something like that jumping on you in the morning on your way to your stand? Not being ready for it, in the dark, how would you fight it off? Hell, even if you saw it coming, how would you fight it off?

I'm carrying my knife in my hand from now on.

LLBUX 12-06-2007 06:47 AM

The cat shown above has been around now for 2 years I believe. It was Mercer County as I recall.

Lanse couche couche 12-06-2007 09:51 AM

I used to live about 15 miles or so upriver from New Boston. Plenty of cover up in some of those river bluffs for big cats or anything else. In fact, i was pretty much right across the river from Wildcat Den park.

furgitter 12-06-2007 04:46 PM

In 2004 there was a kangoroo captured in Madison Wi. In 2006 there was one hit by a car. The DNR must be letting them go!:D

Pygmy 12-06-2007 06:20 PM

I've heard of all kinds of allegedconspiracies by Game Depts. to subversibly stock all kinds of obnoxious critters, from lowering cargo nets full of coyotes via helicopter to parachuting in beavers... Currently the secret stocking of cougars ( usually equipped with radio collars) seems to be be the favorite in most states...

However, dropping SNAKES from AIRPLANES to control the TURKEY population has to be the STUPIDEST one I've ever heard... Good LORD..!!!.. I wonder if anyone who would believe such drivel should be allowed to BREED...!!...

drstalker 12-06-2007 06:54 PM

I'm just posting what I heard from someone I know, and the point about the snakes I have heard from two sources,so flame on if you like.Pygmy look here I've been hunting a long time and spent a lot of time in the outdoors throughout my life and I don't appreciate that Bullsh** you posted,"I wonder if anyone who would believe such drivel should be allowed to BREED...!!... " Just making an innocent post.Thank's again for the kind words..

furgitter 12-07-2007 06:17 AM

The mountain lions arent so scarey as long as theres not laser beams attached to there heads!! But seriously dr. the next time someone suggests snakes being dropped from an airplane, they are most likely joking or realy realy drunk.Even if the dnr did want to release the snakes, why air drop them?

Lanse couche couche 12-07-2007 08:04 AM

I'm a little confused about the whole turkey thing. It has only been recently that turkeys have been reintroduced throughout southern Illinois. Are there really areas where they have become so overpopulated that they are a nuisance?

sjsfire 12-07-2007 08:15 AM

ORIGINAL: Lanse couche couche

I'm a little confused about the whole turkey thing. It has only been recently that turkeys have been reintroduced throughout southern Illinois. Are there really areas where they have become so overpopulated that they are a nuisance?

Nope.........

Lanse couche couche 12-07-2007 08:33 AM

I didn't think so. I've got the things all over my property in richland county, but i dont see how they could be a problem, except for some people claiming that they eat all the morel mushrroms. Given the high numbers of coyotes, foxes, coons, and feral cats I would think that the turkey population is pretty much kept in check anyway.

bigtim6656 12-07-2007 07:52 PM

well if they issue more turkey permits then u hunters will be unhappy when there lowered
hey like on Jurassic park nature always finds away i bet Texas paid them get raid of the snakes lol just the wasteful spending of our tax money

GTOHunter 12-08-2007 07:05 PM

Hey ChicagoTRS...I would think twice about shooting any Cougar or Mountain Lion unless they would be agressive towards you or a family pet because I bet they are protected!I know of a guy that shot and killed a brown bear,luckily he had complained about it breaking into his shed and destroying his property other wise he would have been in serious trouble for killing it.

Lanse couche couche 12-10-2007 07:48 AM

Thats an interesting question. Can a species be endangered and protected if it is not supposed toeven be in a state. I think that a while back there was a movement to declare cougars protected in Iowa, but then it didn't pass because too many people were afraid that they would be prosecuted for shooting one to protect their property or family. Things might have changed there though.

I don't think that cougars have a place in Illinois. That's all that I'll say[8D]