Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 IDNR Snakes/Cats ? >

IDNR Snakes/Cats ?

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

IDNR Snakes/Cats ?

Old 12-06-2007, 04:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: IDNR Snakes/Cats ?

In 2004 there was a kangoroo captured in Madison Wi. In 2006 there was one hit by a car. The DNR must be letting them go!
Old 12-06-2007, 06:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've heard of all kinds of allegedconspiracies by Game Depts. to subversibly stock all kinds of obnoxious critters, from lowering cargo nets full of coyotes via helicopter to parachuting in beavers... Currently the secret stocking of cougars ( usually equipped with radio collars) seems to be be the favorite in most states...

However, dropping SNAKES from AIRPLANES to control the TURKEY population has to be the STUPIDEST one I've ever heard... Good LORD..!!!.. I wonder if anyone who would believe such drivel should be allowed to BREED...!!...
Old 12-06-2007, 06:54 PM
Typical Buck

I'm just posting what I heard from someone I know, and the point about the snakes I have heard from two sources,so flame on if you like.Pygmy look here I've been hunting a long time and spent a lot of time in the outdoors throughout my life and I don't appreciate that Bullsh** you posted,"I wonder if anyone who would believe such drivel should be allowed to BREED...!!... " Just making an innocent post.Thank's again for the kind words..
Old 12-07-2007, 06:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

The mountain lions arent so scarey as long as theres not laser beams attached to there heads!! But seriously dr. the next time someone suggests snakes being dropped from an airplane, they are most likely joking or realy realy drunk.Even if the dnr did want to release the snakes, why air drop them?
Old 12-07-2007, 08:04 AM
Boone & Crockett

I'm a little confused about the whole turkey thing. It has only been recently that turkeys have been reintroduced throughout southern Illinois. Are there really areas where they have become so overpopulated that they are a nuisance?
Old 12-07-2007, 08:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Lanse couche couche

I'm a little confused about the whole turkey thing. It has only been recently that turkeys have been reintroduced throughout southern Illinois. Are there really areas where they have become so overpopulated that they are a nuisance?

Nope.........
Old 12-07-2007, 08:33 AM
Boone & Crockett

I didn't think so. I've got the things all over my property in richland county, but i dont see how they could be a problem, except for some people claiming that they eat all the morel mushrroms. Given the high numbers of coyotes, foxes, coons, and feral cats I would think that the turkey population is pretty much kept in check anyway.
Old 12-07-2007, 07:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

well if they issue more turkey permits then u hunters will be unhappy when there lowered
hey like on Jurassic park nature always finds away i bet Texas paid them get raid of the snakes lol just the wasteful spending of our tax money
ORIGINAL: drstalker

I hunted the first firearms season in southern Illinois on my uncles property recently and he showed me tracks from one of two cougars that have been seen in the area.Iusually bow hunt the day before slug season opens up.Anyhow while bowhunting earlythat morning I did indeed see a cub or kit from the female cougar near my stand which I thought was really neat.After talking with my uncle he told me something he was told from a retiredIDNRguy,and that was that the IDNR has released rattle snakes and cougars in the area.We never hear of these things and the IDNR initially denied releasing bobcats in Illinois.The stunning thing that I was told from a good friend recently(that hunts near Farina IL)that a plane flying slowly over the area was throwing snakes out of a plane,it was reported to the local police bya relative of his,and she was told the it was the IDNR doing it.My good friend told me that the snakes are a non reproducing snake that they released to eat turkey eggs and such.Why doesn't the state just issue more turkey permits and or lenghthen the season?I was just wondering if any of other guys from Illinois knew any of this.The cougars in the area where I hunt made me pretty nervous while walking to my stand at dark morning.
Old 12-08-2007, 07:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey ChicagoTRS...I would think twice about shooting any Cougar or Mountain Lion unless they would be agressive towards you or a family pet because I bet they are protected!I know of a guy that shot and killed a brown bear,luckily he had complained about it breaking into his shed and destroying his property other wise he would have been in serious trouble for killing it.
Old 12-10-2007, 07:48 AM
Boone & Crockett

Thats an interesting question. Can a species be endangered and protected if it is not supposed toeven be in a state. I think that a while back there was a movement to declare cougars protected in Iowa, but then it didn't pass because too many people were afraid that they would be prosecuted for shooting one to protect their property or family. Things might have changed there though.

I don't think that cougars have a place in Illinois. That's all that I'll say[8D]

Quick Reply: IDNR Snakes/Cats ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.