Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 Illinois firearms season thread... >

Illinois firearms season thread...

Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Illinois firearms season thread...

Old 11-17-2007, 05:03 PM

Default RE: Illinois firearms season thread...

Here is my opening weekend story the g/f, well soon to be wife, has family that has 300 acers almost ALL wooded, just two of us hunt it. Well her cousin-in-law, Bruce,has been hunting it for a few years and has gotten some good size deer out of it. Well I have een talking to Bruce and though well hell I am going to be back into it. I went and got a bow and picked up the g/f one as well. Got my tags for both archery and shotgun. Well shotgun season started yesterday, 11/16/07, and I went outand sat in the woods all day didn't see anything despitethe 100 or so shots all around me. WellI was hunting on the side of the field on the ajoining property and they probally shot somethign and were riding4 wheelersaround the edge of the timeber. I gotpissed and went into the house to warmup, since it was freeking cold, andto get my climber. Well I go further into the woods were we have seen them running before and climb up a tree. I sat there for about um......7 hours NOTHING.Kinda weird since it all goes into a little valley and there is a small creek in the middle.

Well today I get into thesame timber where I sat and just thought Imight see something. Well I get my climberon the same tree and the lower portion of the climber keeps getting cought on the bark and wont go up with the climber. I start to get pissed cause this isn't working. Well along with getting pissed I start getting hot and sweaty GREAT!. Well I take my stand down and move to a different tree. So I get it attached to the tree and get all set climb up into it and bumb the seat of the climber and it falls smacking me on the head. I am like what the hell is going on today???? Well I finally get up in the stand and sat there for about 30 minutes and hear somethign off to the left. Well I look over and it is a nice 8 pointer. I get the shotgun up and take a look hum...... not bad pretty good size I'll shoot it. It starts walking closer and closer nerves getting up since it has been SOOOO long since I have been hunting and never shot a deer. Well he is about 30 yards out so I switch it off of safty and slowly pull the trigger till i hear BOOM!! I see him take off running and he ran about 40 yards and stopped. My heart was pumping and after reading several several post on here I sat back down on my stand and watched him. He fell over and just layed there till he died. What a rush it has been a long time since I have had that much fun.Now I am going to be heading back out into the woods once shotgun season is over to do some bow hunting.

Well hell I have probally bored you guys enough with the story here are the pictures.

Here is one of me field dressign the deer. He like we say at work you catch it you clean it.

Old 11-17-2007, 05:52 PM
Fork Horn

I have not got a shot at a deer yet. I shot a coyote opening morning with my T/C Omega though. Both guys I hunt with have gotten one so maybe tomorrow morning. Any IL hunters being seeing more rutting activity this weekend then during your previous bow outings?
Old 11-18-2007, 11:25 AM
Typical Buck

This season sucks for me,there where poachers in my hunting area in southern Illinois,and cougars in the area,my uncle has an new oil well on his property and the people that maintain it where in and out of the fields where I have taken many deer over the yers,also there where two other hunters that he gave permission to .He also has a spot behind his house and owns a skinny strip where deer come and go from,and an outfitter owns half of the skinny strip(Middlefork outfitters)anyhow one of the hunters from the outfitter set a stand in my uncs woods,then a guy that killed a huge buck on Middleforks property had the nerve to tresspass and park his pickup truck on my uncles property.I'm pissed off about this season,and am really getting tired of all the hassles just to hunt,which I love to do.Thirty dolllars for tags,5 hour drive,putting up with poachers tresspassers,cougars,getting skunked really leaves a bad taste in my mouth.I'm really considdering hunting public land next year durrring the firearms season or maybe not at all.[:@]
Old 11-18-2007, 01:01 PM
Typical Buck

Nice deer SS!
Old 11-18-2007, 01:23 PM
Typical Buck

drstalker, your description of your hunting land sounds exactly like public ground. Don't think moving to hunting public ground will solve all of your problems. It may surprise you!!
Old 11-18-2007, 06:09 PM

Went out Friday Morning. SHot a Doe with a muzzle loader. I thought I made a good shot,First trywith a muzzle loaderWent to blood trail the deer it seemed to run a long way. At the end of the blood trail was a big buck that was also shot by someone else that morning. Hard to believe two differentblood trails intersect each other. I never found the deer. First deer I ever lost We hunt on about 80 acres by Toledo IL Waiting til next second weekend. I will have my trusty Shotgun ready this time,.
Old 11-18-2007, 07:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

This one came out of Jackson County at about 3:00 pm Fri. afternoon. He was chasing does when I shot him.

Old 11-18-2007, 09:09 PM
Spike

Check out this nice 11pt shot on Satuday

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KI2ECs90RIw
Old 11-19-2007, 07:06 AM
Fork Horn

Here are some pics of our Knox county deer from this season. Our property is just outside of Abingdon.

Old 11-19-2007, 07:07 AM
Fork Horn

Here is mine.

Quick Reply: Illinois firearms season thread...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.