Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 Adams County Illinois? Help, Where are the deer? >

Adams County Illinois? Help, Where are the deer?

Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Adams County Illinois? Help, Where are the deer?

Old 11-12-2007, 11:26 PM

Default RE: Adams County Illinois? Help, Where are the deer?

Hi,
I live ten minutes away from where you hunt. There are plenty of deer, just got to be persitent and patient. I use to hunt the area you are, just took time, didn't get out of the stand from dawn to dusk.Usually there's enough pressure from other hunters in the areato keep the deer on the move.
Good luck and don't give up!
Old 11-13-2007, 08:06 PM

I live in Barry. It has been a slow year for everyone around here. I have talked to alot of people , most are not seeing much. I haven't seen a real good one since the first weekend of October, haven't got to hunt much either. In my opinion the rut has been very slow so far. I think this weekend will hit it pretty good. Shotgun weekend should be great. I would keep hunting it if I was you. A major misconception of a lot of hunters is that they expect to come here & see huge bucks daily. That is not the case. Yes, you will see some very nice bucks but they are not behind every tree like some expect. I know Stacy(Hadley Creek), yes they have killed some nice bucks so far. They also have 30,000+ acres. I can tell you that more have went home without one than have killed one. I know they have hunted several hundred guys so far. When you hunt that many guys you should be killing some bucks. Don't get discouraged. It is hunting, keep hunting. If you are interested in something next year let me know. If you want to visit later this year & talk hunting let me know. You won't get one by not hunting so get out there & try.
Old 11-13-2007, 09:08 PM
Fork Horn

The rut has been unbelievably slow this year....I hunt Adams and Scott Counties and I haven't seen a MATURE buck yet look at a doe...Saw some young deer bumping some around but not really chasing...I have been on vacation for the last week and a half and hunted every day mornings and evenings and several all dayers....Not much mid day movement if any and less morning movement were I hunt....I just wonder if 1. that Blue Tongued did more damage to the herd than we think? or 2. the big boys are feeling so much preasure with as big as "Deer Hunting" has gotten that they are more nocturnal than ever before???

JMO
Old 11-14-2007, 03:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

I haven't had much trouble seeing mature deer. I went out Monday evening during the rain and saw six mature bucks after the rain stopped from 4:00pm. till dark. I have filled my buck tags, so I was specifically doe hunting. Get out as much as you can they are out there trust me on that. I hunt in scott county.
Old 11-14-2007, 05:23 PM

Well, it seams as if we aren't the only ones having problems this year. We aren't seeing anything. Here is a picture of the property we hunt, mostly small tracts of woods and crop fields "alfalfa". The deer aren't in the alfalfa which is really what is making us think we shouldn't waste our times trying to hunt shotgun. We think the deer are roaming at night, we are seriously considering passing shotgun because of the luck we have had with this place. Any more imput would be appreciated.

Old 11-14-2007, 05:39 PM
Typical Buck

Big bucks are chasing now. They were all over my area yesterday between 12:30-2:30 in the afternoon, I couldn't get a close shot other than a small 6 pt. You should really reconsider this weekend. The weather will be perfect!

You have some great looking property.I would look seriously look at that narrow corridor between the 2 big woods.That would be a great travel route for pressured bucks!
Old 11-14-2007, 06:30 PM
Spike

I hunted in Pike county just outside of Detroit Nov. 2 thru the 9th, and we saw mature deer everywhere chasing does.Keep at it,and don`t give up. Good luck.
Old 11-16-2007, 02:51 PM
Spike

Pressure is most likely the problem. If not from you it is from someone.
Old 11-21-2007, 12:38 PM

Well guys, we went back for the shotgun opener and had high hopes that our luck would turn around. Thursday my friend was headed out in the afternoon when he saw two mature bucks running a doe in the field. Turns out it was a fluke, we didn't see a decent deer all weekend, actually we did see a 2 1/2 year old 8 pointer but that was the best we saw. A few does and some yearling bucks. What a let down in adams county for us, all the money for the lease, all the time and effort scouting and fixing up an old shed. I don't know if Adams county is what its cracked up to be. Maybe we just leased the wrong property. It was the worst deer season I've had in many years.
Old 11-21-2007, 04:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

I was out in Brown County for 2 weeks, I took a 130" 9 pointer with the bow, and on the second day of the shotgun season I took a 135" 9 pointer, everyone in our group saw shooters, we also saw lots of small bucks, which is our future trophies. I'm lucky that I know someone that is good friends with the land owner who owns 1800 acres