Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 Indiana gun  season >

Indiana gun season

Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Indiana gun season

Old 11-12-2007, 11:58 AM

Default RE: Indiana gun season

We may have a long gun season, but it seems as of the last few years a lot of people hunt opening weekend only. Muzzleloader season gets even less pressure. When the cold snap hits I can hunt for days and only hear a few shots. I would rather see a shorter season like IL or OH to make hunting with a bow better.
Old 11-12-2007, 01:15 PM
Spike

There is an argument I hear sometimesthat makes sense. The longer the gun season is the more selective a hunter will be. So by shortening gun season the guy that passes a 1.5 year old deer the first day may shoot it if he only has 3 days to hunt.
Old 11-12-2007, 01:50 PM
Zim
Nontypical Buck

I have lived and hunted in both Indiana & Illinoisfor the past 15 years. Indiana would be WAAAAAAAY better quality if they limited the gun days, period. Also if the season opened later like IL. There's really no comparison. All the reasoningin the world won't change that. That is just the way it is. So I moved to Illinois.
Old 11-12-2007, 05:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: solocamcan

16 DAYS!!!! My god, that's long. In ILLINOIS, we have Nov. 16-18 and then Nov. 29th-Dec.2nd...7 days total. Then a separate muzzleloader season for 2-3 days.

Do you Indiana guys think if your IDNR made your gun season shorter it would improve the "quality" and numbers of bigger bucks in your state?

And are you in favor of a shorter season?
I would be in favor of a shorter gun season!
Old 11-15-2007, 08:08 PM
Super Moderator

Pumpkin head season is way too long. I say shorten it...
Old 11-16-2007, 09:53 AM

I also want our gun season just like Illinois. I think that we would have a much better deer herd. It seems like where I hunt opening day anything that walks gets shot.
Old 11-16-2007, 11:52 AM
Dominant Buck

The only real effect OBR has had was to shift the harvest even more toward the gun seasons and increase poaching, ask IDNR if you don't believe it, I have. All through the bow season I heard more slug guns going off in rapid succession than I did during last years firearms season, and those a-holes weren't hunting squirrels or target practicing. It started the year they instituted OBR and it's gotten worse ever since. The real answer to a quality hunting experience is the same as it always has been, do your part to help IDNR control the herd population and sex ratio instead of only shooting bucks, and more importantly get off your butt and hunt smarter instead of wishing for some "magic" solution to a problem that doesn't exist. Indiana has some huge bucks out there, but you have to go further from your truck than most to get them. Deer carts exist for a reason.
Old 11-16-2007, 01:20 PM
Typical Buck

Kevin good point. I have heard several shots starting in Oct also. I would be like man that sounded like a slug gun.
Old 11-16-2007, 02:53 PM

I've been hearing numerous slug guns going off at dusk almost every night. It is kind if disheartening that so called hunters would do that. I think they should make a gun tag have both antlered and antlerless on it. I would go as far as following after wisconsin on the earn a buck program.
Old 11-20-2007, 07:27 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: indianahunter83

I've been hearing numerous slug guns going off at dusk almost every night. It is kind if disheartening that so called hunters would do that. I think they should make a gun tag have both antlered and antlerless on it. I would go as far as following after wisconsin on the earn a buck program.
I agree

Quick Reply: Indiana gun season

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.