Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 Indiana gun  season >

Indiana gun season

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Indiana gun season

Old 11-26-2007, 11:58 AM

Default RE: Indiana gun season

I think the state needs to be divided into sections, like how it is for geese. The antlerless tag limits attempt to help the situation of thinning out certain areas and increasing the population in other. Indiana is too diverse of a land scape to set one set of regulations to do the best good. I think the state should be divided up and have different seasons for different zones, ie a longer gun season in areas of higher populations and a shorter one in areas of low populations. I also think antler restrictions would be great too. I am tired of seeing so many 4 point basket racks being shot when I know the person had a shot at a doe and passed on it. This will force people to shot a doe for the meat instead, because most people, at least in my area, are too lazy to put in the time needed to consistently bag a mature buck. If Illinios and Ohio can be known for their huge bucks, then Indiana has no reason not to be up with them. It all goes back to regulations. This is a possible idea I could see being passed, but if it were up to me I would say lets have a 3 day firearm season and a 3 day muzzleloader season and make the rest archery only. I know this would probably never happen because Indiana is too resistent to change.
Old 11-26-2007, 01:06 PM
Fork Horn

It alrady is broken up that is why they have limits on each county. I think an earn a buck program is a much better program. But yes Indiana will not likely change.
Old 11-26-2007, 01:51 PM
Typical Buck

I also think antler restrictions would be great too.
Really lets ask states that have restrictions and see how many bucks get killed and left.

If Illinois and Ohio can be known for their huge bucks, then Indiana has no reason not to be up with them
Do you really want to be like Illinois and have outfitters sucking everything up and nonresidents come and hunt your local ground.

This is a possible idea I could see being passed, but if it were up to me I would say lets have a 3 day firearm season and a 3 day muzzleloader season and make the rest archery only.
I bow hunt most through most of gun season and wouldn't mind for myself. BUT as bad as we hate "Weekend Warriors" we need them for licenses and kills.

I think an earn a buck program is a much better program.
We would lose to much in licenses and many bucks would be illegally shot and never checked
Old 12-01-2007, 03:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hunt in the same area as Pat does. I believe we are taking to many does the way it is. What happened to the last 4 days a shotgun can take a doe then. I have talked with some old timers they said there used to be more deer around. Then talk with other they say we have to many deer the way it is now. Where I hunt I see deer would like to see more. The one buck a year I believe is greatly helping out. Its all based on what the insurance companies. They having to many claims people hitting deer. I dont know maybe should be based a townships. I would keep the one buck a year state wide. From township to township thats were you break down how many does you can take.
Old 12-01-2007, 09:26 PM

All I know is a county m grandpa owns a ton of land in down in georgia recently switched to a 4 point on one side restriction. It was mandated ~5-6 years ago and since then we went from seeing ~15 deer a day with all being does to seeing ~5-8 a day with atlest half being bucks. Also the quality of bucks have improved. This shows that it can work.
Old 12-03-2007, 07:22 AM
Spike

I have been hunting the same area for over 18 years now, and I remember when we would all ticket out on opening day with so many deer out. No we go weeks with out any one getting anything or let alone see anything. I dont think there are that many deer out there as there used to be. I too would like to see the doe tag come back for the last couple days of shotguns season. And I think that we should only get two deer a year. I buck and doe. Either it be for bow, shotgun, ML. You get your deer with what ever in whatever season and your done for the year. There is a guy who hunts behind my dads house up against his property and he cries every time, because he has 10 different places to hunt and get all kinds of deer. I mean what can some one do with that much meat. There needs to be more people in it for the "HUNT" than for the "KILL". just my .02.