Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 WISCONSIN AND MICHIGAN DEER >

WISCONSIN AND MICHIGAN DEER

Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

WISCONSIN AND MICHIGAN DEER

Old 11-04-2007, 07:37 AM
Spike

Default WISCONSIN AND MICHIGAN DEER

HUNTING IN WISCONSIN IS GREAT. IT IS LIKE A SHOOTING GALLERY. IF IT IS BROWN IT IS NOT

IN UPPER MICHIGAN WE ONLY SHOOT BUCKS. LOT OF DEER BUT WE ARE SELECTIVE.

WISCONSIN HAS ALL THAT CORN AND FARMERS WANT DEER SHOT.

AMAZING

DR. J. LEE ANDERSON
Old 11-04-2007, 08:02 AM
Spike

Default RE: WISCONSIN AND MICHIGAN DEER

Where do you hunt in WI. All the places I have hunted are QDM areas and I loved it. Saw some of the biggest bucks ever!! I live in the U.P. and if its brown its down no matter what size. LET EM GO, LET EM GROW!! I can shoot a dozen does every night buthave onlyseen 3 bucks since Sept. We need to get the buck to doe ratio more evened up!
Old 11-04-2007, 12:07 PM
Spike

I harvested two doe's already. I have seen an equal number of 1 year old bucks and all ages of doe's, this being in southern Menominee County
Old 11-04-2007, 07:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

where are you hunting drew?

Old 11-05-2007, 06:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Some areas have nothing but bucks! I saw 8 in one day and no does. Other areas have the tables turned and lots of does with a few spindley bucks. They will grow up and move arround following the food. Areas where the food is year round( people with bird feeders and squirrel feeders ) will hold the deer in the empty lots in the city all year. Those are trouble deer and cause lots of dammage. Thats the place where you need to remove them.
Old 11-05-2007, 02:53 PM
Spike

Buckhunter14,

I live in Iron River MI in the U.P. and hunt themonth Oct.up their. In the beginning of nov.I had downstate to stay with my dad and hunt the pre-rut in Washtenaw, Jackson, and Ingham counties unti firearm opener and then shotgun huntthrough Thanksgiving. Then come back up for muzzle loader season.I hunted a few times in Buffalo county Wis. on some friends private property, truly awesome experience. The land owners are definatelyseeing the results of QDM. My buddies neighbors were letting 140" class buckspass so they could grow. I saw some impressive racks and adhered to my own standards of shooting mature deer 125" or bigger. Judging the animals age is very difficult when you see anice rack.I have adopted the philosophy that if I am questioning its age and rack size, its too small for me to harvest. When you see a mature buck 3.5-5.5 years old you know it. The problem with the U.P. is ever since the big die off of 96' and 97' where hundreds of thousands of animals died due to starvation, because of severe winters, its slowly recovering. Then they re-introduce the wolves which the DNR claims only400-500 wolveskill 25,000-30,000 deer a year. I see more wolves than coyotes by my house and I live 3 miles out in the country! Their was a shirt a guy had that read " addicted to wolves, smoke a pack a day", I love that!