Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 Illinois Public land >

Illinois Public land

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Illinois Public land

Old 10-28-2007, 01:48 PM

Default RE: Illinois Public land

Man i would Love to come over and Hunt Illinois, Can you buy over the counter tags, how does that work? I may plan a trip for Illinois next year. Indiana Is starting to get some Monster Here, So its going to be a tough call?

Old 10-28-2007, 04:55 PM

My comments were only about Shabonna and not public land in general.I think if you hunt public land it needs to be big enough that you can use the movements of other hunters to your advantage or big enough where other hunters are not a factor at all.Shabbonas' archery area is too small for the number of hunters that use it and too confined and the deer just move over to the parts of the park that you can't hunt.I've pushed those deer back and forth from the creek /camground end and the dam end and they won't leave the no hunting area.The will just keep doubling back.I wasn't hunting while doing this,just hiking around with a camera.Lowden Miller would be a good example of public land that is big enough to use other hunters movements.If you look at everybodies stands,most are not far off a trail.There are quite a few good places to set up that the deer use to go around the heavily hunted areas.I hate crowds.I would rather hunt on private property when ever I can.The only real good public spot I like is the Necedah Wildlife Refuge/Meadow Valley Area in Wisconsin.Non-resident tags are expensive(ridiculous) but what a beautiful bow hunting area.Thousands of acres to wander around on.
Old 10-29-2007, 02:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Misster Tiny

bowman15: Nice buck, bigger than the ones I've seen so far. Do you hunt on state land up north? (Shabbona, Silver Springs,etc)

Thanks. He's the biggest body-wise that I've seen this year. 7 times out and he's the 4th buck I've seen. I have yet to see a doe. That's weird for where I hunt.

I haven't hunted Silver Springs in years, and I've never hunted Shabbona. My boss hear's alot about Shab. but he also says it gets tons of pressure. I hunt a state park that's starting to get popular. Lots of guys there this weekend.
Old 11-01-2007, 04:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: heavy hitter

i have really good luck on public land and there are some really nice deer. you just need to scout a little harder and think a little more.
DITTO!!!!!

I NEVER park at the "hunter parking" spots, I ask permission from farmer's who own land that a joins public land....MILES from "hunter parking" and access it through there, that way I am almost assured to be alone, I don't think many hunters will walk 3-4 miles to there stand.
Old 11-02-2007, 03:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: solocamcan

that way I am almost assured to be alone, I don't think many hunters will walk 3-4 miles to there stand.

You're absolutely right. I walked in the woods last week and there was this bone-head setup in a tree not 200 yards from the parking lot on a trail that everyone walks to get into the woods. And he was pissed that everybody was walking right by him!

Good thing for some of us is that alot of 'hunters' are pretty lazy. I get there early (usually the first or second to sign in) and I go way back and let everyone else push them towards me. I see more deer than most everyone I talk to in the parking lots. (and I don't tell them this either! Let them think there's no deer there)
Old 11-02-2007, 06:57 AM
Boone & Crockett

Double H,

If you are 62 or older you can now buy over the counter tags in Illinois to hunt with a crossbow.
Old 11-13-2007, 08:29 PM

ORIGINAL: DoubleHH

Man i would Love to come over and Hunt Illinois, Can you buy over the counter tags, how does that work? I may plan a trip for Illinois next year. Indiana Is starting to get some Monster Here, So its going to be a tough call?
You can buy antlerless only bow tags over the counter for non residents. To get a either sex tag you have to get in the lottery. You used to have to get a either sex tag to be able to buy the antlerless only bow tag. But that is not the case anymore.
Old 11-22-2007, 12:43 PM

Today,Thanksgiving,I photographed this 10 pointer at Shabbona.Good luck,He's a wary one.

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t231/trackerlab/IMG_9344.jpg
http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t231/trackerlab/IMG_9341.jpg
http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t231/trackerlab/IMG_9338.jpg
Old 11-22-2007, 08:02 PM

Nice 10 pntr! I hope I'm there when he crosses out of the campground area. I have a few days off next week, maybe I'll go hunting with my camera to see what else is hanging around at Shabbona.
Old 11-22-2007, 10:11 PM

There are about 20 to 30 does that were going back and forth in the woodsup the hill from the boat rental.There were a couple of small bucks with them.The big one did cross into the archery area the last time I saw him.He went into the pines on the west side before the parking lot by the dam.He was with the does originally but split off.The does stayed in one small area most of the morning.
http://s161.photobucket.com/albums/t231/trackerlab/?action=view&current=IMG_9431.jpg
http://s161.photobucket.com/albums/t231/trackerlab/?action=view&current=IMG_9350.jpg
http://s161.photobucket.com/albums/t231/trackerlab/?action=view&current=IMG_9429.jpg
http://s161.photobucket.com/albums/t231/trackerlab/?action=view&current=IMG_9323.jpg

Quick Reply: Illinois Public land

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.