Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 INDIANA Bound and never been hunting outta state.... I need a little help. >

INDIANA Bound and never been hunting outta state.... I need a little help.

Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

INDIANA Bound and never been hunting outta state.... I need a little help.

Old 09-27-2007, 02:35 PM

Default INDIANA Bound and never been hunting outta state.... I need a little help.

Hi - everyone - I am new to the net! I am from GA.

I was hoping to get some advise on where to go......... I am headed to INDIANA - I don't know when -- prolly mid Nov. - I will be hunting public land.

What should I expect?
What are my chances of seeing a 120"deer?
Which management area should I try?
What are ya'lls experiences?

Thanks Guys
Old 09-27-2007, 04:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: INDIANA Bound and never been hunting outta state.... I need a little help.

When I hunt a new piece of public ground I'm thrilled to take anything. I advocate Mike Eastmans 4 year plan. At the end of3 years you should be looking for 120+, not before.
Old 09-27-2007, 04:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: INDIANA Bound and never been hunting outta state.... I need a little help.

Just depends on what part of the state you hunt. 120" deer are not uncommon where I hunt. From my experience with public land though...most deer run on the small side.
Old 09-27-2007, 07:53 PM
Typical Buck

120's on public I wouldn't count on it ....Coming for gun season....on public....better you then me
Old 09-27-2007, 08:06 PM
Super Moderator

First thing you need to expect are a lot of gun hunters. The second is which area to hunt. That depends on where you are headed?
Old 09-27-2007, 11:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Why Indiana? Do you have insider tradeing information?
Old 09-28-2007, 06:39 AM
Typical Buck

if so let me know too
Old 09-28-2007, 10:05 AM

Typical Indiana Whitetail

Old 09-28-2007, 10:48 AM
Fork Horn

What to expect in mid November on public ground is more hunters than you can count. Nov 18th (I'm pretty sure) is our opening day of firearms season and probably the busiest day in the IN woods. Hopefully you are coming to hunt with a friend that has some experience with it and can point you in the right direction. Don't get me wrong, a guy can kill a 120" deer on public ground, but only if he has some experience with it or is very lucky.

If you hunt with a bow I would strongly suggest coming before the 18th. There are much larger tracts of public ground in Southern IN as opposed to northern IN. Thats a long way to drive to hunt public ground. Good luck.
Old 09-28-2007, 10:51 AM

Fellers - I ain't got no idea where to go or when to go or what I'm gonna shoot - I exspect if I go with my rifle/shotgun - I will be selective - but with my bow - I prolly won't cullem'.
Why Indiana? Why not? outta state license $150 - lots of public land and a lot of big bucks- Illinois cost too much for a tag and KS is too far -- thought I would try IN. or maybe KY.

Any help would be appreciated

Quick Reply: INDIANA Bound and never been hunting outta state.... I need a little help.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.