HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Midwest (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/midwest-25/)
-   -   First time Hunting in Illinois (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/midwest/197213-first-time-hunting-illinois.html)

andydoc 07-10-2007 03:53 PM

First time Hunting in Illinois

Howdy all! I am just starting to get ready for my first hunting season in Illinois. I am a resident and will be hunting my own land. I have a few questions regarding the licensing and permits needed for a resident.

1) I am only going to bow hunt, and I read where the lottery for bow permits is over. I also read on the Illinois DNR site that this was only for non-residents and the resident permits can be obtained over the counter...can anyone comment?

2) I know I need a hunting license and habitat stamp. Can these be purchased over the counter also?

Thanks in advance for the help

jachunter 07-10-2007 03:55 PM

RE: First time Hunting in Illinois

go to google and put this in...

il dnr

Bowflex 07-10-2007 04:01 PM

You can buy your bow tags, licenses and habitat stampsover the counter. I buy mine over the internet so I can save them to a file and print as many copies as I want. That way I always have one with me.

Oh, and if you fish, buy a Sportsmens license, you save a few dollars that way.

Good Hunting,
Bowflex

andydoc 07-10-2007 04:39 PM

Thanks a bunch for the info. One last question...is there any hunting classes that are required before I can go hunting?

sjsfire 07-10-2007 07:20 PM

ORIGINAL: andydoc

Thanks a bunch for the info. One last question...is there any hunting classes that are required before I can go hunting?

No, But DNR has ongoing huter safety courses. When you check out their web site try and find the link for their courses. They will giveclass dates, times, and locations.

uncle matt 07-11-2007 11:30 PM

ORIGINAL: andydoc

Here's the answer to your question andy.

WHO MUST TAKE THE COURSE?
On January 1, 1996, a State law was passed that anyone born on or after January 1, 1980 may not be issued a hunting license unless:
[ul]*they present a valid Hunter Education Certificate of Competency issued by the Illinois Department of Natural Resources, Division of Education.

*or they present evidence he or she has held a hunting license issued by the State of Illinois or another state in a prior year.

[/ul]

Matt in IL 07-12-2007 03:17 PM

Andy, everything you need can be purchased over the counter. I think it's around $42 to bow hunt. I would srtongly suggest to take a hunter safety course. It's very helpful and cheap, really no reason not to.

IL-Cornfed 07-12-2007 04:13 PM

Welcome to IL bowhuntin' !!!

You'll find that we have a great tag system here. As mentioned, you can buy on-line or head to a store that sells them. Buy your tags, license, stamps, etc right there and head to the woods. Also, remember, Tags are UNLIMITED and there is NO LIMIT on Antlerless-Only animals so if it's venison you want.... you're set! Welcome and good luck

dayna0306 07-12-2007 07:32 PM

You will be addicted for life,like most of us. Welcome.

[/align]

Redneck Bill 07-15-2007 07:12 PM

Andy:
You mentioned thar you would only be hunting your own land.
If it is over 40 acres you qualify for free landowner tags,and do not need a hunting license,only a habitat stamp.

Bill