Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
what gun is good for cyotes in ohio >

what gun is good for cyotes in ohio

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

what gun is good for cyotes in ohio

Old 12-27-2002, 12:39 PM

Default what gun is good for cyotes in ohio

i am just getting started cyote and varmit hunting in northwest ohio and was wondering if ne one could tell me a good gun for about $400 or $500. thinking about a remington .223 or 22-250.
Old 12-27-2002, 12:58 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 12-28-2002, 12:33 AM

Default RE: what gun is good for cyotes in ohio

A 22-250 or 243 either one will do a fantastic job of eliminating those pesky song dogs.Good luck fun sport and you can at least get a little cash outa the pelts

SHOOT STRAIGHT >>>--------> Troy
Old 12-30-2002, 11:05 AM
Super Moderator

You can't beat a 22-250 loaded with a full jacketed bullet. (Saves the pelt!)

"Semper Fi"
Old 01-04-2003, 12:20 AM

Dear Big,

It depends on how you hunt. If you are calling at night, a shotgun may be suitable. For daytime shooting, I like a .223. It has less recoil and if you can get them close, just as much kill power.

Good Luck with the Duck!
Old 01-04-2003, 05:09 AM

My buddy uses 223 and swears by it. Has the pelts to prove his success. Sounds like either gun will do the job. I prefer bow and arrow. Maybe thats why I have never shot one.
Old 02-01-2003, 10:13 PM

I have been hunting yotes for as long as i can remember and used a lot of guns and i wouldnt trade my Winchester modle 70 blackshadow
25-06 for any thing its the best gun i have used for yotes and deer for that fact its sooo quick
Old 02-02-2003, 11:43 PM
Fork Horn

I've also been lookin into coyote hunting, and also in NW Ohio. I haven't begun trying to get permission on lands yet though. Haven't gottena gun for it yet either. If fishin and woodchuck huntin don't completely distract me, I just might get myself into it. A lot of people have been recommended to me a .223, and 22-250 seems to be the second by recommendation. I may end up going with a shotgun as I don't know where I can get away with shootin a rifle around here. If you'ns know of any public ranges where I could set it up and shoot, I'd appreciate the info.
--Drdeerhunter, not trying to accuse you of anything, but I hope you weren't using that 25-06 for deer in Ohio.

Brandan

Old 02-03-2003, 11:28 AM

If you are calling in yotes then a .223 is fine but if you are walking ditches or timbers kicking them out and then tracking them down like we do around here you will want to go with the 22-250 because they can be some tough animals when they know they are being hunted. I have shot many many of them with everything from a shotgun, .223, 22-250, .243, and 30-06. If you are hunting them to sell the pelts you must have a better market than we do because you get about 5 bucks for a good pelt here. If you are hunting them to skin and have the pelt for yourself go with a 22-250 and stay away from the ballistic tips. If you are like me and just love to hunt them, want to keep them down then pick up a 22-250 or 243 with some good ballistic tips and go to work. I have seen alot of coyotes run away with a 223 bullet in them never to be recovered. You also have to think about the range you will be shooting at. Many people with tell you that the 223 can reach out there but in reality a 223 rarely goes through a coyote at over 100 yards unless he is totally unaware that you are hunting them. To me this does not make for clean effective hunting. A 22-250 is enough rifle to hunt deer with but not the wisest choice because it lacks the power needed. To me that is where the 223 is for coyotes. I know that many are taken each year with 223 but if you are going to buy one gun to shoot at them this is not the best one. Just an oppinion.

" Anyone can be a father, but it takes a real man to be a Dad"
Old 02-03-2003, 08:37 PM

I am confused SW Iowa,

What do you you recommend?

OhioDuckHunter

Quick Reply: what gun is good for cyotes in ohio

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.