Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
GENERAL MILLS BOYCOTT >

GENERAL MILLS BOYCOTT

Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

GENERAL MILLS BOYCOTT

Old 01-02-2002, 03:31 PM
Spike

Default GENERAL MILLS BOYCOTT

Cereal Company Joins in Partnership with Nation’s Largest Animal Rights Group- (12/11)
Other

General Mills, maker of a variety of breakfast cereals, is promoting the nation’s largest animal rights organization by distributing free calendars in specially marked boxes of Golden Grahams cereal.

The “Pets and Their Celebrities” 2002 calendars feature information from the Humane Society of the United States (HSUS) and its Kids in Nature’s Defense (KIND) News. It includes photos of a number of celebrities and their pets, including Christina Applegate, David Alan Grier and Brendan Fraser.

KIND News is a classroom newspaper the HSUS uses to spread its animal rights message to children. Produced by the National Association for Humane and Environmental Education, a youth education division of the HSUS, this newspaper is printed monthly and is read by more than 1.2 million school children, grades K-6.

“General Mills has made a tremendous mistake in its support of the Humane Society of the United States,” said WLFA President Bud Pidgeon. “In this partnership, General Mills and Golden Grahams cereal are promoting an organization that is determined to eliminate the American traditions of hunting, fishing, trapping, animal agriculture and other animal use.”

General Mills is not alone in their misunderstanding of the nation’s largest animal rights group.

“The HSUS has millions of people fooled into thinking it is raising money to save dogs and cats that are stranded in local shelters,” said Pidgeon. “The truth is HSUS does not operate or oversee any animal shelters. In fact, the organization spent less that one percent of its 1999 income of $67 million on grants to wildlife, animal habitat and dog and cat shelters.”

Take Action! Sportsmen should contact General Mills to express their extreme displeasure of its support for the Humane Society of the United States. Contact Stephen W. Sanger, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of General Mills, at P.O. Box 1113, Minneapolis, MN, 55440 or call him at (763) 764-7600.

Old 01-03-2002, 09:22 AM
Spike

Default RE: GENERAL MILLS BOYCOTT

I've attached the letter I'm sending to General Mills. If you would like to use the same letter go ahead though please put your own name and address on the bottom.

Concerning the General Mills boycott. You may also want to go on their website and send General Mills and their associates and email. General Mills website is: www.generalmills.com

LETTER:

General Mills December 21, 2001 Mr. Stephen W. Sanger PO Box 1113 Minneapolis, MN 55440

Mr. Sanger, (Chairman & CEO of General Mills)

I’m writing this letter to inform you and “General Mills” that I and my family will be boycotting all “General Mills” and associated products!

It has come to my attention that “General Mills” is supporting the “Humane Society of the United States (HSUS)” by distributing free “HSUS 2002” calendars in specially marked boxes of Golden Grahams cereal.

My family is boycotting all “General Mills” products until the support of the “Humane Society of the United States” and or any other animal rights group(s) is stopped. I’m also strongly urging all my friends, relatives and acquaintances to boycott all “General Mills” products as well.

Name brands that I & my family are boycotting:

General Mills, Betty Crocker, Progresso, Yoplait, Green Giant, Lloyd’s, Old El Paso, Chex Mix, Fruit Roll-Ups, Pop Secret, Nature Valley, Pillsbury, Small Planet Foods, Cascadian Farm, Muir Glen Organic

Regards Albert R. Hartwig Address City, State/Prov. Zip/Postal Code
Old 01-03-2002, 05:45 PM
Banned

TY, chek, It will be in the mail tomorrow.

Peak
Live and Learn
Old 01-03-2002, 06:30 PM
Spike

Make sure that you email or call them to express your displeasure with them supporting HSUS. I did several days ago and am still waiting for an email reply. Some people on the iowawhitetails.com have received their replys and we are being heard. Here is a copy of one of those replys.

Thank you for contacting us to express your concern with the "Pets and their Celebrities" calendar currently being included with Golden Grahams cereal. The calendar promotes the benefits - and responsibilities - of pet ownership

We did not anticipate that a calendar promoting responsible pet ownership would be in any way controversial. Our focus was on the message the calendar conveys, about the wonders and benefits of being a pet owner, and reinforcing the responsibilities of pet ownership. We felt the calendar was an excellent vehicle to communicate that topic. In no way was it intended to convey that General Mills is against hunting, fishing or farming. General Mills is not anti-hunting, anti-fishing or anti-farming. We have even honored champion fishermen on the Wheaties box, most recently in August of 1999.

But we also now realize that some of the views espoused by HSUS, from whom we obtained the calendars, are not shared by an important number of customers and consumers. That point has been driven home by consumer contacts like yours, and we are taking your views to heart. Your views will certainly be shared with the decision-makers involved in this and future decisions regarding our promotional tie-in partners.

Again, thank you for taking the time to contact us and make us aware of your feeling on this matter.

Sincerely,

Jennie Taylor

General Mills
Consumer Services

Old 01-03-2002, 06:37 PM
Spike

Also, here's their site. Go to the feedback section and let them know what you think about it.

http://www.generalmills.com/
Old 01-04-2002, 09:32 AM
Spike

It great to hear your helping peakrut2001 & 150 Class! But we need to get everyone involved!

I see hundreds of people on this Bulletin Board but how many of them are doing something. I've even had this thread locked or removed from some of the forums on this bulletin board because I'm spamming. This issue is too important! We have to get the majority of the people out there off their butts and fighting for what is right, or our future is very bleak.

We have to follow the Anti's leader. Most of these ARA organizations our run with under 50 people but they get everyone involved. You can bet that when they put a boycott on the ARA bulletin board everyone of them is getting involved.

For everyone of you doing something, thanks!

For the rest of you please get behind this boycott. You can take 5 minutes to go from this bulletin board to the "General Mills" website. Copy my letter above and email it with your name and address to "General Mills" and all their subsidiaries.

Let’s win one for a change.

Chekmate
Old 01-05-2002, 10:55 AM

Read ProTurkeycallers response in the Secrets of the hunt board. He printed a letter from General Mills concerning this.
Old 01-05-2002, 12:59 PM
Spike

deerslayer still,

You read proturkeycallers response to General Mills. But have you sent one yourself.

Keep coming folks!
Old 01-05-2002, 01:57 PM
Spike

Just sent my e-mail to General Mills.

Only takes a few minutes, everyone should do it!!! The more folks they hear from, the more action they will take.
Old 01-05-2002, 04:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just sent mine. I made sure to tell them that if it were up to HSUS, folks would be having soy milk on their Golden Grahms...apparently milking cows is cruel and unusual punishment. Remember the Indy 500? They wanted the winner to drink soy milk in victory lane to protest...Thank god they didn't.

GOOD HUNTING

Quick Reply: GENERAL MILLS BOYCOTT

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.