Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Indiana

Old 07-03-2007, 07:02 AM

Default RE: Indiana

i'm 26 and probably shot more trophy size animals then most on here. what you don't relize "beehunter" is if you make an aggreement on something and then go back on it it makes you a worthless liar. If you don't care about the size deer you shoot then fine do what ever. But don't say your going to do one thing and do the oposite. I'm sorry if I affend anyone because i set higher goals. But thats life some are happy getting bye others want to thrive. Its what you want out of life.
Old 07-03-2007, 07:52 AM
Boone & Crockett

Old 07-03-2007, 08:52 PM
Super Moderator

Trophyhunter25, I dont think you offended anyone here except for beehive. He started on me at the begining of this post. I just looked at it as his opinion. I think you have handled him well. I think he was wanting to start an argument with me and then he started with you. Maybe he should open his eyes for a different view. I myself respect everyone opinion. I have to say I agree with your thinking. His I do not agree with, but then again its his opinion.
Old 07-04-2007, 10:31 AM
Fork Horn

But thats life some are happy getting bye others want to thrive.
Its your attitude that bothers me, shooting a small buck does not mean you just want get bye as you call it. Trophy hunting takes alotof time something most people who work and have kids don't have alot of, so don't say that just cause someone wats to shoot a small buck and enjoy the hunt that they are just happy getting by. I am not trying to start or pick a fight on here just giving my opinion like everyone else.
Old 07-04-2007, 02:27 PM
Fork Horn

I agree with you Beehive. I'm lucky to hunt 3 days during the whole season. I have 3 kids, 2 jobs and a wife. I don't have the time to be picky.
Old 07-04-2007, 03:02 PM
Fork Horn

Sorry folks don't mean to upset anyone or even get into a fight. That being said I believe that "trophy" is any critter that you think is a trophy to you. I don't care if it's a 5" spike that was my son's 1st buck or the huge doe I took last year for venison a trophy is in the eye of the individual hunter and even can vary from time to time.
Old 07-05-2007, 04:15 AM

If you read my post you will see that they say; if you want to shoot a small buck then fine. I also say that life is about goals. I didn't say that if you shoot a small buck your happy just getting by. If your goal is to shot any buck that you get a chance at and its small then you completed your goal, But if you say your going to shoot a 120" buck and you shoot something that is not then your just shorting yourself. Either way its on you. Me I always set higher goals. Some of you say you barelly have time to hunt, well make that a goal. Me I hunt alot. I have a kid housepayment property payment,and don't have a high paying job. But i don't have a brand new truck either. I never said anything about what a trophy was. Its what you make of it. I just don't see how people are happy shooting young deer every year. But thats just me I like to challange my self a little more than most but thats just me.
Old 07-05-2007, 10:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

I knew when I read the first post, this thread would turn into this. Big shocker. Everyone has opinions, but they should never be forced upon another.

I'm 26, and have a wife and a job that lets me hunt every Fri/Sat/Sun from October until I'm done. I'm cool with whatever I shoot. I'm lucky enough to have some great land in LaGrange..where I can pick a few deer that I go after. Others don't, and I've been in that boat before. Hunt Adams County, anda person's goals will change real fast. lol
Old 07-06-2007, 04:05 AM

Pats right everyone has opinions. The state of Indiana's deer herd is pretty screwed up. By that i mean you have some areas that are polutted with deer but go 20 min. south and hardly any deer. same land everything. Thats why some say there are to many hunters and other say there are too many deer and not enogh hunters.
Old 07-06-2007, 05:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

That's sort of how it is around my home, here in Adams county. Great farm land, the habitat is wonderful for deer to thrive in. Big woods, rolling fields, lots of rivers and cricks, corn everywhere (this year especially)...but very few deer. Only a few hundred are killed her each year..pathetic given the amount of hilljack deer hunters around here. I used to go all of October only seeing a few deer...the whole month..hunting practically every day. "Fur Fever" is magnified 1000³ if you only see 1 buck a year...lol.

In LaGrange, our land is nearly identical in terms of habitat as my home here in Adams County..but the deer are THICK. Late October thru December, it's a bad day to not have at least 1deer in bow range. Tons of does though, so we try to harvest a few. Personally I only shoot 1, but 1 big mature doe and 1 mature buck is my personal goal..and it provides more than enough meat for us. I give meat away to my brother and his wife, my parents, and my buddy if he doesn't shoot a deer.

Indiana is screwed up...