Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Indiana

Old 06-21-2007, 08:58 AM

Default RE: Indiana

I don’t think the length of gun season makes them more selective. My neighbors who every year says they will only shoot mature deer shoot what ever comes by first. 2 years ago the one shot a 140 class ten point that was 3-1/2 years old. I had let him walk many times because I wanted to see him reach at least 5-1/2. He was shot by the neighbor but I couldn’t get that mad it was his first big buck. He said he was only shooting big bucks from here on out. Then last year whats he do shoots a 1-1/2 3 point. He said it will make a good meat deer, I responded by telling him shoot a doe if you want meat. Specially since they don’t shoot but maybe one doe a year out of 5 guys
Old 06-21-2007, 09:17 AM
Boone & Crockett

Gosh, I'll bet your neighbor sure is grateful for you not getting too mad at him for filling his tag and not shooting what you wanted him to shoot.[&:]

Seriously though, i had originally raised the issue of total acreage of hunting land in Indiana compared to other states, for example, Illinois, in the midwest, all of which are significantly larger. Has anyone ever seen the numbers on this?

Old 06-21-2007, 09:45 AM

i know there populations are larger than ours. You can tend to get mad when you set up resrictions that are agrred upon by both parties and one doesn't hold up there end. i could have shot that buck at 15 yards with my bow.
Old 06-21-2007, 09:59 AM
Boone & Crockett

Sounds like you and your neighbor don't quite see eye to eye on what constitues a mature deer, if you are getting hot under the collar over him dropping a 3.5 year old 10 pointer.[&o]
Old 06-21-2007, 10:29 AM

i shoot the first 3-1/2 that i think is big enough now. we had an agreement and he didn't hold up his end. I don't talk to them now. they shot a rack off a 5 piont last year and the one woman shot a deer with #6 bird shot she said she didn't check the bullets. every year we find a dead buck they they don't recover.They are piss poor hunters and thats all there is too it.
Old 06-21-2007, 10:38 AM
Boone & Crockett

Yep, a lot has changed in 20 years.
Old 06-21-2007, 10:47 AM

your right there. I was raised as a meat hunter still am i just like to have a nice rack also. my grandfathers never shot a doe and still won't to this day.
Old 06-21-2007, 11:00 AM
Boone & Crockett

He wouldn't like it in my part of illinois then. if you dont shoot a hell of a lot of does you better not plan on raising sweet corn or driving faster than 20mph down the road. And just 20 to 30 years ago it was rare to see a deer near the road or someones house. That's why wanting to be like Illinois would have its pros and cons.
Old 06-21-2007, 03:04 PM
Fork Horn

I wish you were my neighbor Trophyhunter25 I would enjoy shooting all thwe nontrophy 140 inch bucks that you pass on. By the way how old are you anyway? Because that could explain alot of your thinking.
Old 06-21-2007, 03:40 PM
Super Moderator

Dbowling, I hunt Parke county. Im thinking thats where you hunt as well. How hard did EHD viruseffect where you hunted last year. I hunt southern Parke county over by Coxville and it hit them there pretty hard... That played a role last year in the harvest. But thats nature and that happens...

Quick Reply: Indiana

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.