Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Indiana

Old 06-03-2007, 10:45 AM
Super Moderator

Default Indiana

I just feel the need to blow off some steam here and to see how others feel about the Indiana deer season. I just cant understand why Indiana doesnt match up to Illinois, Ohio, Michigan or Kentucky when it comes to getting bigger racked deer. I mean come on we are right in the middle of all these states and they have way bigger racked deer. Dont get me wrong there are some nice deer taken in Indiana, but it just doesnt compare to these other states were surrounded by. I dont know if its how our DNR operates or what the problem is. I know for a fact we have way to many hunters who shoot up the woods during our gun season. I mean everyone becomes a deer hunter when gun season gets here. Is our gun season too long, I say yes. How do others feel about this?
Old 06-03-2007, 10:51 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Indiana

Yes arrow master our gun season is to long, an invisable deer would have a hard time making it thru our gun season. And as far as our DNR goes it is the most mismanaged bunch I have ever seen. I say ditch Mitch to start with and that might solve of the problems.
Old 06-03-2007, 06:42 PM
Super Moderator

I say ditch mitch as well. Not my man.
Old 06-04-2007, 04:26 AM

we are more populated across the state then the others. We have the one buck rule. what else do you want to make bigger deer. Remember if all your doing is managing for trophy bucks thats not good management. You have to keep the deer herd in check. We shoot some moster deer each year here. Besides i don't know about kentucky but michigans management sucks. most areas they only want 10-12 deer a square mile
Old 06-04-2007, 06:20 AM
Spike

We are not too far behind Michigan. We are ahead of Kentucky. Ohio and Illinois are way ahead of us but we are in the top ten. I think it is about as good as it can be here.
Old 06-04-2007, 06:47 AM

yeah not very many hunters care about the size of the buck they kill.
Old 06-04-2007, 10:56 AM
Dominant Buck

There are many variables in the equasion. For one thing we have way too many antlerless deer, trophy hunters refusing to shoot does is like them shooting themselves in the foot. You're part of the problem or part of the solution, you can't have it both ways. The QDM mindset is another problem, you can't practice QDM unless everyone around you is, which will never happen in Indiana, or anywhere else for that matter. The length of the gun season is set to manage the overall herd numbers according to IDNR, with the majority of the cull occurring during the time the maximum number of hunters are afield(gun seasons), so unless the antlerless population is greatly reduced it will stay the way it is or actually be increased. They have categorically stated that they will never shorten the gun season for trophy management reasons, only if the overall population is sufficiently reduced, or if the number of bucks becomes dangerously low. Habitat/forage must also be factored in, states like Iowa and Illinois have a bit richer forage than Indiana, and more suitable habitat. "Brown is down" is less of a problem than you might believe, all states seem to have that issue judging by the complaints on internet forums. Poaching is a far more serious problem, many of your larger bodied/racked deer get poached every year, far more than a B&Der will ever see, much less shoot. You also have to consider where you personally hunt, the area you hunt in may simply not have larger deer than another area might. Big bucks also tend to be extremely wary and largely nocturnal, they don't get big and stupid at the same time except at "pic n' shoots". If you want to see more large deer than I suggest you hunt in Sasketchewan or other northern areas, they naturally produce larger deer, you won't see them here anytime soon unless you hunt deep in wilderness areas like the Hoosier Natl. Forest.
Old 06-04-2007, 11:05 AM

I belive theres big bucks evry where but you have to let them get to the age structure to produce large antlers. i hunt in northern IN and have killed 6 P/y's and one b/c. my buddy shot a 204" gross on public land. if the deer can get the age we have the nutriences to produce good deer. but you have to shoot doe's also.
Old 06-04-2007, 09:33 PM
Super Moderator

I believe we here could have a lot bigger bucks if we would let them get some age on them. Yes we have the one buck rule thats true. But you get thousands of hunters who shoot smaller inmature bucks, it takes its toll on the population. Lets face it everyone is a gun hunter when the season rolls around in NOV. But me I start my deer season OCT 1st.I hate to say it but to be honest those who believe that this state is on the right track (besides the one buck rule) for deer management needs to open their eyes for a different view. I say cut down the gun season and we will see rewards in the bigger buck catagory.
Old 06-04-2007, 11:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

the long gun season in my opinion needs to be shortened. more does need harvested, and button bucksshould not be counted as antlerless. You shoot a button, check it in as a antlerless and then kill another buck ??? thats just wrong!!

Quick Reply: Indiana

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.