Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Indiana

Old 06-05-2007, 09:42 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Indiana

Isn't Indiana smaller geographically than most other states like Illinois?
Old 06-05-2007, 09:48 AM

in indiana we lack the big trackes of woods all accross the state. its hard to find a tract of land thats more than 300 acres. everythings been divided down and down.
Old 06-05-2007, 06:36 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: bloodcreek

the long gun season in my opinion needs to be shortened. more does need harvested, and button bucksshould not be counted as antlerless. You shoot a button, check it in as a antlerless and then kill another buck ??? thats just wrong!!
I agree bloodcreek we do need to shoot more does, and to be honest it irks me off when a button buck or even a yearling doe gets shot. Shoot a mature doe and let the young ones grow up. I just hate it when the blasting gets started. Shorten the gun season...
Old 06-06-2007, 03:47 AM

they can't shorten the gun season because not enough hunters harvest deer in the bow season. you will never change somes mind set where they will shoot the first thing that walks by no mater what it is.
Old 06-06-2007, 01:18 PM
Fork Horn

I agree bloodcreek we do need to shoot more does, and to be honest it irks me off when a button buck or even a yearling doe gets shot. Shoot a mature doe and let the young ones grow up. I just hate it when the blasting gets started. Shorten the gun season...
Arrow master that makes no sense, if you shorten the gun season you are going to shoot less does. Which is what needs to be done anyway in my opinion.
Old 06-06-2007, 03:59 PM
Super Moderator

I am definetly not the only one who feels the gun season needs to be shortened. I agree trophyhunter that you cant change the mind set of other hunters. They will always shoot the first thing that walks by. The problem I face every year when gun season rolls around are the hundreds of shots I hear. I mean they just shoot up the woods. Im sure there are many more deer killed than we all know. How many of these deer are wounded and cant be found and then die. In the first 2 weekends of gun season I had counted over 400 shots. Thats just wasnt last year. Thats basically every year for the past 5 years. We keep a running total of shots. Now I do agree with the one buck rule. I believe thats a good thing. Maybe we should also add a size requirement for the bucks. Let the 1.5 and 2.5 year olds grow up. Im not trying to down grade this state. This is my home, but I would really like to see more trophy deer. I dont know what the solution is, but we definetly need some change...
Old 06-06-2007, 11:03 PM

Better yet... in order to get your buck tag you must shoot a doe first! Heck shoot 2 does first!
Old 06-07-2007, 04:02 AM

i would be for the earn a buck tag program i sgoot about 4-6 does a year anyways
Old 06-07-2007, 07:36 AM
Super Moderator

That would be an ok thing earn your buck tag...
Old 06-15-2007, 06:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

I live in Illinois, but have several friends who live in East CentralIndiana, and in my opinion, one reason states like IL,IA, and KS produce bigger deer, is becausewe have all these damn outfitters from other statesbuying or leaseing large tracts of land. Yes, we produce bigger deer, BUT how many are taken by local hunters? I can't and would not pay someone $3,000-$5,000 for a 5 day hunt in my own state. Also, while most people here are "trophy hunters", a majority of people who gun hunt don't care for headgear, they care about filling the freezer, and whether we like it or not, as long as they have the required permitts, then that's there right as a hunter. The best way to achieve big deer is tobuy ourown land or hunt private groundand do the management ourselves. But I do agree you gun season is WAY to long. We only have 7 days total, the Fri, Sat, Sun before Thanksgiving, and the Thur,Fri,Sat, Sun after Thanksgiving.

Quick Reply: Indiana

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.