Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 IL DNR gave permits to politically connected hunters >

IL DNR gave permits to politically connected hunters

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

IL DNR gave permits to politically connected hunters

Old 04-12-2007, 09:51 AM

Default RE: IL DNR gave permits to politically connected hunters

"It's a bad perception. Any time there's a privilege like that, people will question it," said state Rep. Mike Bost, R-Murphysboro, a hunter whose name was on the list of special permits.

Bost expressed surprise at his appearance on the list, and he said it might have been the result of an inquiry he made once to the Natural Resources Department when it looked like a late legislative session would cause him to miss getting a regular permit.

"I did call … What they did after that, I don't know," Bost said. He said he was turkey hunting Wednesday morning (without success) on a permit obtained through the lottery.
I believe that the application process is not just one day long. If he waits until the last min. that is his fault. Just like me and you.

He called, then what they did after that he doesn't know.--- I do -- they sent a permit to ya. I wonder if he even had to pay.

they are a legitimate way around a lottery system that isn't working.
I wish this worked for everything. If the lottery system isn't working, maybe try to fix it instead of just going around it.

Phelps acknowledged routinely getting the special permits for constituents, out-of-area visitors, and himself. He said the lottery system is so cumbersome that it could dissuade local hunting.

"I think there need to be more permits. We have too many deer," Phelps said. "I see it as … cutting through the bureaucratic red tape" for constituents.
I think I just puked in my mouth.

sorry for the rant, but this gets me fired up.
If I'm wrong, please correct me, and I will apoligize to anybody I offended.

RBBH
Old 04-12-2007, 09:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: uncle matt

More intresting news............

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/news/stories.nsf/illinoisnews/story/472CD8666B3B2402862572BB000F3D9E?OpenDocument

But why do Illinois State officials who should know and go thru the regular application process sneak in?

Like.........

Rep. Mike Bost, R- Murphysboro
Rep. Brandon Phelps, D - Norris City

Yeah, I goggled a fewnames from the county I hunt, lawyers, politicians.......hummmmmm
Old 04-12-2007, 07:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: uncle matt

More intresting news............

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/news/stories.nsf/illinoisnews/story/472CD8666B3B2402862572BB000F3D9E?OpenDocument

But why do Illinois State officials who should know and go thru the regular application process sneak in?

Like.........

Rep. Mike Bost, R- Murphysboro
Rep. Brandon Phelps, D - Norris City
Business as usual in Illinois.......

Some other names on the list;
Duncan Doby (editor;North American Whtetail Mag.)
Brenda Valentine
Eddie Salter.........
and I'm sure I missed a lot of others.

Old 04-13-2007, 12:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

The most disturbing fact of this is that some of these privilegedare so clearly breaking the game laws as far as the number of permits issued.

Who is Wilbur K. Engelhardt? Why in the world should he be entitled to 10 Randolph county permits in 2004? All issued 10-01-2004 - guess he couldn't get one thru the lottery like the rest of us. OR DID HE AND GET 10 MORE?!

And why would then Mr. Engelhardt be further entitled to 10 MORE PERMITS, issued the very same day for Perry county?

I feel really bad for the 10 guys who applied in the lottery for Randolph county and got denied. And the 10 guys who applied in the lottery for Perry county and were denied ................ SORRY BUT IT APPEARS THOSE PERMITS WERE RESERVED FOR THE VERY SPECIAL MR. ENGELHARDT.

And who is Thomas M. Shannon? Did he make Pike county with his own two hands? 8 permits in 2004 for Pike county, issued 10-13. Is this guy also too good for the lottery?

So many people getting permits AFTER the lottery draws are done and over with! HEY WHAT'S THAT SMELL? I KNOW THAT SMELL!

IT'S THE SMELL OF ANOTHER BLAGOVICH SCANDAL!

I think it's time for an investigation. There's game laws being violated here folks. I teach hunter safety education classes right here in Illinois and I feel one of the most important topics we cover is ETHICS & RESPONSIBILITY. Essentially this topic in a nutshell is BE HONEST, GOVERN YOURSELF & ABOVE ALL .............. FOLLOW THE RULES!

And what is happening here is just downright unethical.

I saw one of the most very senior hunter safety instructors name on the list for Kendall county in 2006!What am I to think of him now? Maybe we could go over the Ethics & Responsibility chapter together? [&o]
Old 04-13-2007, 05:54 AM
Bartender

Who do we contact for this junk? I would like to send a few emails out.
Old 04-13-2007, 09:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: PEAKRUT

Who do we contact for this junk? I would like to send a few emails out.
Well maybe we could start with

Sam Flood, Acting Director of The IDNR.

Some good questions for old Sam, just to get a dialouge started might be.......

Is your brother Clifford S. Flood?

Did Clifford, or did he not, recieve a deer permit to hunt coveted Pike county inthe 2004deer season?

Did he or did he not recieve preferential treatment in recieving this permit & what role did you play in his recieving this permit issued on 10-13-2004?

After all, we all know Pike permits out every year to people who recieve valid land owner tags and those who validly apply thru the proper lottery channels, is that not correct Sam? Oh, may we call you Sam? Or should we just say "ol' boy"?

Is there a "special drawer" in your desk? Maybe a special, magical filing cabinet where these additional permits are set aside?

ol' boy can be asked these questions and more at:

Sam Flood
Acting Director
217/785-0075

Leslie Sgro

Deputy Director
217/558-7117

Debbie Stone

Deputy Director
782-5694

Sam Flood's email is: [email protected]

I'll be shooting him an email myself. Heck all the time I've volunteered over the years teaching hunter safety I thought I'd ask if he could maybe get me, say a half-dozen permits forJohnson county out the back door. I'd like to have some friends and business associates down to do some hunting this season and it's just so hard to plan if you have to wait and see if your successful in that pesky lottery system.
Old 04-13-2007, 10:30 AM

When you go over the list, its like a who's who of hunting tv/magazine.

You would think the guys who make their living hunting would be able to draw in the lottery like everyone else.
Old 04-13-2007, 10:45 AM
Bartender

Any of the realtree or buckmaster boys on it?
Old 04-13-2007, 11:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

Only one's that stood out to me were MarkDrury, Terry Drury,Brenda Valentine and Dick Metcalf.

Here's something page 12 ofthe Illinois Hunting Digest:

Permit Limit

No hunter may receive, or attempt to receive, more than one either-sex permit and one antlerless only permit prior to the random daily drawing in september. Permits remaining after the lotteries are issued by random daily drawing until the county permit quotas are exhausted.

* except those folks who are special.
Old 04-13-2007, 11:54 AM

Knight and Hale, Tom Knapp. Also a few big wigs for coal/power companies.

Quick Reply: IL DNR gave permits to politically connected hunters

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.