Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 Indiana hunters heard anymore about... >

Indiana hunters heard anymore about...

Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Indiana hunters heard anymore about...

Old 03-19-2007, 07:59 AM
Typical Buck

Default Indiana hunters heard anymore about...

Have y'all heard anymore about the proposed legislation concerning hunting deer with rifles loaded with pistol rounds?
Old 03-19-2007, 09:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Indiana hunters heard anymore about...

I only heard the initial talk once. No details.
In fact, I didn't even know it was only for pistol rounds at the time.

How do they define 'handgun cartridge'?
Is it a case length restriction? energy? velocity? caliber list?
Old 03-19-2007, 10:08 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Bulzeye

How do they define 'handgun cartridge'?
Is it a case length restriction? energy? velocity? caliber list?
That's a great question.

I think they'd have to have a caliber list like they do now for legal hand gun rounds. I mean, I have an Encore Pistol in the 25/06, but that doesn't make it a "pistol" round, does it?
I just assumed that the list would go from 357 mag up to 500 S&W or something like that.

I know there were a few post floating around here last fall saying that they were going to try to have something figured out by the '07 hunting season, and one guy even heard that certain carbine rounds would be allowed.
I'd just like to hear something officially saying it's B.S. or that it's gonna happen!

Old 03-19-2007, 11:18 AM

Ok well I haven’t heard the official word but talking to a local conservation officer. He said this is the second time its been brought up and will probably fail. For the question of what makes a pistol cartridge. They are referring to the cartridges that are legal to hunt deer with now. Example .357 .44 .500 the case must be 1.16’’ long. I don’t know if you realize this or not but that 25/06 you have is legal to hunt with. I think its stupid if Indiana doesn’t pass this law. I have a custom made single shot high powered pistol that’s chambered in .308 and is legal to hunt with. I bench shoot it, and am deadly accurate out to 500 yards no sweat.
Old 03-19-2007, 11:26 AM
Typical Buck

Thanks for the info, I do hunt with my 25/06.
I understand what you're saying. My 25/06 is good for quite a ways out there, but I can't hunt with a couple of my lever guns that have half of the effective range my 25/06 has. I/E 30/30 and 44 mag.

I guess it really doesn't matter to me weather they pass it or not. I was thinking it would be great to go out to the woods with one of my Model 94's and take a nice deer. Plus, I'd like to play with one of the new Encore Katadin barrels chambered in 460 or 500 S&W.

If not, me and my ole 25/06 or my 209X50 will head out to the woods just the same!
Old 03-19-2007, 12:18 PM
Spike

How do you like the 25-06? I am thinking of getting one for next season.
Old 03-20-2007, 01:44 AM
Typical Buck

I like it a lot! My biggest piece of advise it PRACTICE! From a bench rest it'saccurate as hellat 200-250 yards, but I'm still working on trying to hold it still and make a good shot at 150 in the field. I got myself a nice portable bi-pod and before this season I hope to be better with it. Last year I limited myself to under 100, just because of my ability.
I shoot Winchester Supreme 115 grainBallistic Silvertips and at 150, again from a bench, I don't have a problem keeping groups of 3 under 3", I think that's pretty good out of a hand gun!

Old 03-21-2007, 05:49 AM
Spike

Thanks, as long as they don't change the pistol laws when they add the new rifles I will probably get me a 25-06 barrel.
Old 03-21-2007, 06:36 AM

i have never liked the 25/06 i have never been able to hold a good group. not to say its a bad cartrige. i deer hunt with a rem. xp100 .350 rem. mag. its good out to 300 yards but kicks worse than anything i have ever shot and i have a barret .50 cal.
Old 03-21-2007, 08:22 AM
Typical Buck

I won't disagree that it's tough to hold still in the field. What I've done is workover a couple of my fixed stands and incorporated a shooting rail/rest. I've also got a couple of areas where I simply put a chair behind a tree with a nice "V" where I can lay the barrel in.
I don't think any of the "long range pistols" as their called are made for any other type of shooting or hunting than this. I won't ever go to the woods with out at least having a descent bi-pod with me.
Good luck!

And y'all keep meposted if you hear anymore aboutthe new "rifle" laws!

Quick Reply: Indiana hunters heard anymore about...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.