HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Midwest (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/midwest-25/)
-   -   Walmart (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/midwest/183118-walmart.html)

mbickham 03-04-2007 05:42 AM

Walmart

Is walmart pulling a Zumbo on us??? I was told that they no longer carry guns in their Ohio stores. I thought walmart was pro gun?????

HunterOpel 03-04-2007 06:51 AM

RE: Walmart

They are going to pull guns out of certain ILL. stores also, they say our gun laws are to hard to deal with!!![:@][:@]

lhok_ 03-04-2007 07:10 AM

They have been pulling guns out of their stores here in Michigan for the past year.

4patches 03-04-2007 07:18 AM

yep, i learened this 2 years ago that walmart was pulling there sporting goods line. the sales were slumping so thats that. gives me no futher reason to go to walmart. hate to tell people i used to buy all from them lisence, guns, ammo, clothes, tackel for fishing ( yea, they drop the guns they lost my fishing dollar too ) times this by the 250,000 plus hunters and fishermen and women ( yes, my wife and kids wont go there either ) in the state of Ohio. lets not mistake this for anything less than a downward spiral for the company. sell your walmart stock boys. [:'(]

peakrut 03-04-2007 07:43 AM

Pulled them out of Antioch, IL and were in the process last Nov of pulling out of Antigo, Wi.

Beehunter 03-04-2007 12:16 PM

In the process of pullin em in Linton, IN WALMART.

spudrow 03-04-2007 04:54 PM

ORIGINAL: 4patches

yep, i learened this 2 years ago that walmart was pulling there sporting goods line. the sales were slumping so thats that. gives me no futher reason to go to walmart. hate to tell people i used to buy all from them lisence, guns, ammo, clothes, tackel for fishing ( yea, they drop the guns they lost my fishing dollar too ) times this by the 250,000 plus hunters and fishermen and women ( yes, my wife and kids wont go there either ) in the state of Ohio. lets not mistake this for anything less than a downward spiral for the company. sell your walmart stock boys. [:'(]
Let me get this straight. It's ok for you to shop Walmart for savings you incur on hunting and fishing itemsbut not for any one else who may have different wants and desires,Ummmmm. Interesting!

granitesun 03-04-2007 07:03 PM

Here is KS they still sell guns and sporting goods at the stores where those items sell real well. In the stores in the cities they dropped guns and most of the hunting/fishing/camping type stuff. They are just trying to tailor their stores to what sells in those neighborhoods.

Indeed one of the stores in a rural area I hunt in carried a pretty complete selection of low end archery equipment last year, a bow, arrows, broadheads, the stuff was low end but if you are on a budget getting a $3 broadhead is better than no broadhead...

HunterOpel 03-04-2007 07:43 PM

Ours only got rid of the guns, but the have a ton of archery and fishing stuff !!! Just did away with the guns..Lot of place just dont want the hassle of dealing with ILL. gun laws..[:@]

salukidawg 03-04-2007 10:02 PM

Has nothing to do with Illinois gun laws. Theydont want the hassle and possiblity of lawsuits. To me big deal I dont buy guns from Walmart and really dont buy anything from them.

BullRider115 03-04-2007 11:25 PM

Some of you are totally missing the business point of Wal mart not selling guns. I love wal mart I might add before I write anymore. Wal mart is a huge chain and they cut items, not just guns that don't sell. They order X amount of products, divide it between all the stores and the things that bring in the least revenue are cut. I am sure this has nothing to do with the stores that did well in gun sales but, they got hurt by the big city stores that have 20 guns in a case and never sell 1.
I don't see this as a reason not to go to one for other things. IF you can get a deal on something, get it is how I was raised.

shpines 03-05-2007 05:23 AM

Two of the walmarts that I go to still have guns and everything, but the other two, in a bigger city, have dropped thier guns. I don't buy guns from there either. But get other outdoor gear there.

bfulton77 03-05-2007 05:34 AM

No offense to WALMART,..but ive seen some classy people working the late shift in sporting goods. I dont blame them for not wanting them handling guns. Id love to see there job application.

midsouth_hunter 03-05-2007 05:49 AM

I am sorry to say that Wal-Mart is crumbling into the anti-gun forces and increased pressure of laws and regulations. They are doing this all over the US. They began doing this last year and I was told by a Wal-Mart employee that they just do not sell enough guns in some stores to even put up with all tyhe regulations and oversight. It has become bad press when a gun sold from a Wal-Mart store ends up being used in a crime. They still have them at the stores where the volume of sales still makes it profitable enough. But that will be going away soon also.

furgitter 03-05-2007 07:39 AM

Where did everyone buy guns before walley world came to town? Everyone cried and moaned about big bussiness pushing mom and pop out the door when they set up.Now there crying that they cant get a gun there.:eek:

Lanse couche couche 03-05-2007 11:42 AM

Could be a win-win situation. I don't foresee Walmarts cutting their number of employees because they no longer carry guns and ammo. But, as furgitter indicated. We could see a return to more mom and pop guns shops like i grew up with. Capitalism at its best.:eek:

kevin1 03-05-2007 11:55 AM

They sell what sells, and pull what doesn't, simple business econ 101.

BowHuntingFool 03-05-2007 03:23 PM

ORIGINAL: Lanse couche couche

Could be a win-win situation. I don't foresee Walmarts cutting their number of employees because they no longer carry guns and ammo. But, as furgitter indicated. We could see a return to more mom and pop guns shops like i grew up with. Capitalism at its best.:eek:
Let's hope so!!!!

HCTurkeyHunter 03-06-2007 07:00 AM

Buyer Beware.

A few years back, the Sprting Goods manager at my local Walmart informed me that the majority of the guns they sell are factory defects that have been reconditioned. He said that even though reconditioned, he seemed to have to send alit of those guns back into the manufacturer after being sold to a customer. Any truth to it?? I don't know. But the guy had no reason to lie to me. I stick to repuatable gun dealers from here on out.

whitetaildave24 03-06-2007 07:13 AM

the Wal-Mart here in Franklin, IN just stopped carrying most guns. The sporting goods guy told me they may still sell muzzleloaders, but he was not for sure. He said the managers at the store were against guns, so they helped get the guns taken out of the store. They sold quite a few guns out of there, so I don't think profit was the issue.

Hotburn76 03-06-2007 12:12 PM

Like said above they are adjusting there store to the area. All the stores close to me pulled them out. They built a new super center in a town about half and hour south of me and they put in a real nice selection of guns! Put my stores oldselection to shame. And it is a brand new store.

Mizzouhunter 03-06-2007 07:34 PM

I'd say Walmart is not pro or anti-gun. They are pro-profit. If selling firearms isn't a profitable venture, then they will stop.

spartanhunter19 03-07-2007 09:59 PM

In Indiana certain stores are no longer selling guns but they aren't abandoning it all together. I did management internship with them this summer and the store I was in was getting rid of them. I was told it was because of all the paperwork and red tape they had to go through in order to sell them.

sjsfire 03-08-2007 08:06 AM

ORIGINAL: spartanhunter19

In Indiana certain stores are no longer selling guns but they aren't abandoning it all together. I did management internship with them this summer and the store I was in was getting rid of them. I was told it was because of all the paperwork and red tape they had to go through in order to sell them.

Well it would be nice if we would get the same story, I've been to 4 different Walmarts in the last 3 months. The first place I go after the wife and I part ways at the door is the sporting goods.When you can "find" a employee in sporting goods I hear 1. The paper work just isn't worth it, 2. It's a marketing thing, they just aren't selling enough, 3. I just a dumb look from the person behind the counter, or 4. Nobody around to answer my question on gun sales. So guy's if it's the marketing thing keep buying the toilet paper and beer or we'll be in heap of trouble......

BowHuntingFool 03-08-2007 09:25 AM

Walmart sucks! I'd rather spend the extra dollar and shop elsewhere! [:'(] Shop somewhere that supports us as Sportsman!

_Dan 03-08-2007 09:29 AM

ORIGINAL: BowHuntingFool

Walmart sucks! I'd rather spend the extra dollar and shop elsewhere! [:'(] Shop somewhere that supports us as Sportsman!

I think we have a winner!

4patches 03-08-2007 09:41 AM

if the paperwork is too much for them then why are they in buisiness ?

wis_bow_huntr 03-08-2007 12:37 PM

pulling out of some stores in Wi as well.

turkey guide 03-08-2007 10:02 PM

One week away from pulling guns from Bethany Mo. store. Wal-Mart was a bad place to buy guns anyway. The prices were great but the guns weren't. After having to return two of three guns purchased there,I swore to only buy guns from reputable dealers who always receive first quality weapons from their suppliers and don't get factory seconds like Wal-Mart. This was years ago about the time they stopped selling handguns. I'm more than happy now to pay the extra $$ to not have to return junk guns. Despite their NO REFUNDSpolicy on guns, I got a refund.

Fuzzyballs44 03-09-2007 12:37 AM

Not only does our wal-mart still sell guns, but they have just increased the size of their sporting goods side of the house.

If you are that fired up about your states gun laws...go to the booth and vote...if you need more people on your side, stand up for sportspeople and get people on your side by showing them we are ethical and safe. If that doesn't work....don't move to my state is all I ask! We already have enough people moving in!!!

Wal-Mart here supports our sportspeople and they are active in helping us conserve the land around us for not only hunting, but fishing as well. They even helped get a small "mom and pop" shop that is a range/handgun safety training school across the street through the red tape it took to build and open the joint.

The consumer directs the marketing, and it just sounds like you have some more non-sportspeople than you have sportspeople.

I love them because I can get all my ammo for cheaper, the clay pigeons are an out right steal, their tree stands are 25% less money out of my pocket and their gun cleaning supplies are UNGODLY cheaper than the 2 sportsmans wearhouses, blacksheep and the future Cabelas that is being built as we speak.

They suck for fishing gear, but that's alright cause I don't mind supporting some of the other sporting good stores in the area as well. :D

sjsfire 03-09-2007 07:59 AM

ORIGINAL: turkey guide

One week away from pulling guns from Bethany Mo. store. Wal-Mart was a bad place to buy guns anyway. The prices were great but the guns weren't. After having to return two of three guns purchased there,I swore to only buy guns from reputable dealers who always receive first quality weapons from their suppliers and don't get factory seconds like Wal-Mart. This was years ago about the time they stopped selling handguns. I'm more than happy now to pay the extra $$ to not have to return junk guns. Despite their NO REFUNDSpolicy on guns, I got a refund.

This give me a chuckle evertime I see someone post a phrase like this. Get a grip people.....you really think a gun maker is going to let "factory seconds" out the door??? Wake Up!!

turkey guide 03-09-2007 10:31 AM

Yes gunmakers do let factory seconds out the door. Now days they admit it and market them as such instead of shipping them along with huge orders to discount retailers and hoping nobody noticed, which of course most people don't. The best example I can think of offhand is a very high end weapon, the Armalite AR-10's and 15's, Which have been marketed forseveral years now as Eagle Arms. If the receivers or anything else have a flaw, they are built and stamped as Eagle Arms and sold cheaper. They are built to the same standards as Armalite Rifles on the same machines and assembly lineand shoot just as well but may have a cosmetic flaw and are not guaranteed the same. The thing is, they freely admit it and tell you upfront why you are paying 1/3rd less. I heard this first from an Armalitefactory rep at an NRA convention and Eagle Arms Stamped rifles came on the market a year or two later. This is easily confirmed by checking the Armalite/Eagle Arms website, and or calling them. Many other manufacturers probably all of them have sold firearms for less money under different names, and available only at certain hardware or discount stores willing to accept and sell them under their own name. They are not always bad guns, just not perfect guns and don't bear the Big Brand name. An Armalite second is never sold as an Armalite. Technically the substandard parts are sold to EagleArms and become their top of the line first quality guns, but theyARE Armalite seconds. Parts that don't meetEagles standards either, may be sold unmarked to any other manufacturer who wants them andwill become something else. Seconds, thirds and so on do make it out the door and onto the market.

BowHuntingFool 03-09-2007 03:49 PM

ORIGINAL: Fuzzyballs44

Not only does our wal-mart still sell guns, but they have just increased the size of their sporting goods side of the house.

If you are that fired up about your states gun laws...go to the booth and vote...if you need more people on your side, stand up for sportspeople and get people on your side by showing them we are ethical and safe. If that doesn't work....don't move to my state is all I ask! We already have enough people moving in!!!

Wal-Mart here supports our sportspeople and they are active in helping us conserve the land around us for not only hunting, but fishing as well. They even helped get a small "mom and pop" shop that is a range/handgun safety training school across the street through the red tape it took to build and open the joint.

The consumer directs the marketing, and it just sounds like you have some more non-sportspeople than you have sportspeople.

I love them because I can get all my ammo for cheaper, the clay pigeons are an out right steal, their tree stands are 25% less money out of my pocket and their gun cleaning supplies are UNGODLY cheaper than the 2 sportsmans wearhouses, blacksheep and the future Cabelas that is being built as we speak.

They suck for fishing gear, but that's alright cause I don't mind supporting some of the other sporting good stores in the area as well. :D
How much of a tax break does your one of the biggest employers in the country! walmart get? How many of those employees have health insurance thru walmart??? How much are you "really' saving??? I can't and won't kid myself with walmart junk! Wasn't there motto everything "made in the USA, what happened??

arrows only 03-10-2007 04:40 AM

DO NOT SHOP WALMART! PERIOD, END OF THREAD...

nodog 03-11-2007 08:49 PM

Yep they did. Yep it's sad. Yep I still shop there. Yep the hunting section was much smaller this year. Yep I still managed to get 9 thunderheads for $4.50.:DYep the store is tightening up. What business isn't these days?

sjsfire 03-12-2007 07:05 AM

ORIGINAL: turkey guide

Yes gunmakers do let factory seconds out the door. Now days they admit it and market them as such instead of shipping them along with huge orders to discount retailers and hoping nobody noticed, which of course most people don't. The best example I can think of offhand is a very high end weapon, the Armalite AR-10's and 15's, Which have been marketed forseveral years now as Eagle Arms. If the receivers or anything else have a flaw, they are built and stamped as Eagle Arms and sold cheaper. They are built to the same standards as Armalite Rifles on the same machines and assembly lineand shoot just as well but may have a cosmetic flaw and are not guaranteed the same. The thing is, they freely admit it and tell you upfront why you are paying 1/3rd less. I heard this first from an Armalitefactory rep at an NRA convention and Eagle Arms Stamped rifles came on the market a year or two later. This is easily confirmed by checking the Armalite/Eagle Arms website, and or calling them. Many other manufacturers probably all of them have sold firearms for less money under different names, and available only at certain hardware or discount stores willing to accept and sell them under their own name. They are not always bad guns, just not perfect guns and don't bear the Big Brand name. An Armalite second is never sold as an Armalite. Technically the substandard parts are sold to EagleArms and become their top of the line first quality guns, but theyARE Armalite seconds. Parts that don't meetEagles standards either, may be sold unmarked to any other manufacturer who wants them andwill become something else. Seconds, thirds and so on do make it out the door and onto the market.

Can't say that I've seen many AR10s and AR15s in too many Walmarts lately.....What I'm saying is the Remington 870 Express, 1187s, the Savage 270 and 243s, and Mossbergs are alll the same being sold at Walmart as the ones in the big box sporting goods stores or your home town mom and pop gun shops. Granted the selection is not as good at Walmart and I doubt they special order a gun for you but I believe the same guns Walmart sales are the same you can buy anywhere and not "seconds". I haven't ever bought a gun at Walmart, even before they quit selling them in my area.

Silent_Death 03-18-2007 11:06 PM

I have a brother who is in management with Wal-Mart and he informed me that all Wal-Mart stores will be stopping the sale of guns.

Austin/WI 03-19-2007 08:11 PM

As an update on this, I was home for spring break and the Wal-Mart in my town stopped selling guns, and it almost appears they may be closing out their fishing stuff too, they had a ton of it on clearance. If I wasn't so disgusted with them now I would have bought some new fishing stuff.

sjsfire 03-20-2007 06:57 AM

Yep........too bad ole man Sam isn't alive to see this today.

Austin/WI 03-20-2007 10:01 AM

ORIGINAL: Silent_Death

I have a brother who is in management with Wal-Mart and he informed me that all Wal-Mart stores will be stopping the sale of guns.
Can you tell us why? Or would you have to kills us if you told us?;):D