Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 Indiana one buck rule >

Indiana one buck rule

Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Indiana one buck rule

Old 01-15-2007, 07:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Indiana one buck rule

I have only shot 2 bucks in one year one time in all the years i have hunted so it doesnt really matter to me. I will say though that i have not seen much a difference in buck size, i still see about as many bucks as i did before it and they are all about the same size.
Old 01-15-2007, 07:49 PM
Typical Buck

The OBRwas originallybegun asa TRIAL. The harvest evaluations since it's inception will determine if it continues.

After speaking at length with various DNR property personnel, very few deer hunters in Indiana take more than one buck during a single season. Outside of firearms season, most deer taken are antlerless.

The OBR rule was bullied into legislation, as previously pointed-out, by some mis-guided organizations. The arguement was that if you could only take one buck, that themajority of hunters would only harvest the most mature, largest racked bucks in the state. This is akind to false economy. The concensus ofthe afore mentioned factions was the cause for the OBR. Not scientific evidence.

The white-tail deer herd inIndianahas increased in number for many years, while the harvest numbers have increased accordingly. Setting record numbers since the early to mid-'90's. This WAS NOT a result of the OBR. Many other variables play intothis equation.
Old 01-15-2007, 10:20 PM
Fork Horn

Love the One Buck Rule. The only other changes I would like to see is a shorter gun season and having gun season start closer to December. This year was nice having gun season come in later.

I understand scientific evidence may not be in yet, but I just talked to the taxidermist (Wild Wings) I took my deer to and he has definately noticed a difference. He said years ago, a 140" deer was a huge deer for someone to bring in to be hung on the wall. Now he said a 140" deer is the average to be brought in. I also talked to the place (Albertson's) I check my deer in at and they have definately noticed a difference in P&Y and B&C bucks checked in over the past two years. In my mind, those are some of the most important people that we should talk to about the OBR, because they are seeing the changes. By the way, I hunt Kosciusko County in northern Indiana.
Old 01-16-2007, 12:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

two thumbs up!! /\

Dan
Old 01-16-2007, 04:18 PM
Fork Horn

Buckhunter14, I would like to see deer drives made illegal mainly on state owned proporties, it just keeps the deer stirred up and cuts down on the amount of deer seen as the season wears on.
Old 01-16-2007, 06:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

In '05, we actually went down in # of buck kills from '04. It will be VERY interesting to see the '06 reports. One would thinkthe bucks taken this year should be larger than last year, since more lived the year before.

I'm anti-OBR. I have seen no changes at all in size/# of deer I see/shoot.
Old 01-17-2007, 07:17 AM

Many of those that are pro obr and stanch defenders of it, hunt, park, military, urban hunts where they receive multi buck tags and take more than one buck. Yet they still say they are pro obr and that the special hunts is just a perk. If it were a true obr then one buck and one only would be the rule, there would be no perks. The only hunters being effected are the multi season hunters that feel that the perk hunts are to costly or are not able to journey to hunts because of work or other obligations.
Old 01-17-2007, 04:50 PM
Fork Horn

True Indianahick alot of these guys also hunt private properties and tag multiple bucks under landowner tags, seen it happen many times. The DNR does not know how much cheating is going on under landowner tags and the new computerized license system or they would change it.
Old 01-17-2007, 05:49 PM
Fork Horn

i like the obr, i just do`nt understand guy killing a fork and spike with buck tags, if you want meat kill a doe.....
Old 01-18-2007, 04:14 PM
Fork Horn

I wont waste a bow tag on a fork horn but I get tempted when gun season gets here, ecspecially if its getting late in the season.

Quick Reply: Indiana one buck rule

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.