Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 Does only in MN? >

Does only in MN?

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Does only in MN?

Old 12-27-2006, 10:14 PM
Spike

Default RE: Does only in MN?

I don't really see MN going antlerless only next year, but I think I could support that. I hunt in SE MN and there are some areas where it would do wonders to the deer herd. A more realistic solution would be earn-a-buck like they have in WI. From what I see in WI, the areas that have used earn-a-buck the past few years have greatly increased the size of the trophy bucks and I believe these WI hunters are finally understanding what is meant buy buck or quality deer mgmt. The biggest thing MN needs to do is eliminate that Buck season during the rut. If there were to run a buck only season after doe season that would be tollerable, but idealy they should just have one deer season that runs from the 19th (or middle of the month) and run a 9 or so days long. If they think they need to harvest more does, then have a doe only season the last weekend of the month.

Duke
Old 12-29-2006, 10:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

I send a letter/email to the DNR supporting a antler management program every once and a while. If you get a chance and like the idea then pleas do the same. It takes a couple of years but look at areas that do it. Imagine 3 to 4 year olds being common……
Old 12-30-2006, 12:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hey fellas, I hope you dont mind an opinion from an outsider here. Ihad the opportunity to travel to your great state and hunt the past two years. I bowhunted last year and gun hunted this year. The one thing that really made a mark in my head was the number of small bucks being shot. I was lucky enough to harvest a VERY nice deer this year, so I had some time to ride around the public land and see other deer in trucks and 4 wheelers. I was very surprised at the number of spikes and tiny basket 4's I saw dead. Also, some of the stories I heard were incredible too, guys saying "Yeah this spike came in with 6 does so I shot him". My reply was "Why not shoot one of the does if you need meat?" his reply "Cause I wanted a buck!". IMHO at least having antler restrictions would be a start, look what its done for Pennsylvania the past 2 years.
Old 12-30-2006, 12:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

yeah I have to deal with that all the time, the saying is if you dont shoot him someone ellse will.[:@]
Old 12-30-2006, 05:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

What CO is saying this? I would like to know. Get rid of the gun season during the rut and go to a buck lotery!
Old 01-01-2007, 08:38 AM

ORIGINAL: TeeJay

What CO is saying this? I would like to know. Get rid of the gun season during the rut and go to a buck lotery!

right on tj.,., ive been wanting this for a long time.,
Old 01-02-2007, 08:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

I still want to know what CO is floping his/her lips?
Old 01-03-2007, 11:08 PM
Typical Buck

I'm also for moving gun season off the rut and antler restrictions.
Old 01-05-2007, 04:41 PM
Typical Buck

I think that the doe to buck ratio in my area is about 10:1 so I am all for it.
Old 01-08-2007, 02:56 PM

why does it matter who said what?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.