Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 Does only in MN? >

Does only in MN?

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Does only in MN?

Old 01-18-2007, 05:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Does only in MN?

Well, in my opinion, if they went 1 or 2 years with the doe-only thing, then implemented an earn-a-buck-program, the deer herd would benefit incredibly. Plus, there would be some real trophys for the trophy-hunters to hunt. Or maybe the antler-restriction idea. Something to keep everybody from shooting the first dumb little spike and fork that walks out.
Old 01-18-2007, 05:29 PM

ORIGINAL: bowman15

, -antler-restirction .

i think that is the best and quickest route to go for the D.N.R.
Old 01-21-2007, 10:44 AM

I argee with restrictions on Rack's I would think that would go over easier than no Buck's at all. I am new to Deer hunting but have no problems with shooting Doe's I wouldn't shoot a Buck unless it was nice enough to be on my wall. I really don't see the point in shooting a small one just my opinion.
Old 01-21-2007, 11:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am really against the doe only season as you all can tell. I still would like to know what CO said this, ehem! IMO there is alot of ways to controll the herd and produce some beatuifull huntable bucks. I think a Antler lottery would be one very simple and quick tool. Earn a buck, well it has been tried and to what successs I dont know. I see alot of wantonwaste with this. Antler restrictions I personally agree with, but I know MOST CO's do not want this! Trust me I hunt and fish with 2 of them and have another one over for holidays (she is my sister). They are very against this and do not see it working. WW I do hunt the refuge south of Lake George, and I dont see all the hunters in there. Now the other side of the road during gun season is a different story![:'(]
Old 01-22-2007, 12:25 PM
Fork Horn

TeeJay,

I'm not sure of where you are talking about in hunting a refuge south of Lake George. I know where the game refuge is a couple miles north of Lake George and that is the area I was talking about. Unless you are refering to state forest land???
Old 01-24-2007, 01:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yes State forest land. I hunt south of 71 and west of 64. About half way between nevis and Lake george.
Old 01-24-2007, 02:44 PM
Fork Horn

TeeJay,
That's a good area. There's some private land near Co.4 And 40 that has a crap load of deer. You'll see cars lined up along the road sometimes just watching. I had heard the guy doesn't allow hunting but it may not hurt to ask. I have seen several monster buck there.
WW
Old 01-24-2007, 03:45 PM

I wouldn't mind "Does Only" in Minny. I think the DNR is probably looking into this type of regs due to most firearms [deer] hunters don't do any type of a harvest management thought process while hunting.

If "Joe hunter" took time to think b4 he pulls the trigger, firearm(s) deer hunting wouldn't see as much "government" trying to control their deer hunting.
I'm a veteran bowhunter(since 1965) and I believe bowhunters are more harvest management-minded than gun hunters. And yes, this is probably most likely because bowhunters have much more time to harvest a deer --I realize.

-Lab-Man (Member since 2003)