Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 Mn hunters, what would u do diffrent? >

Mn hunters, what would u do diffrent?

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Mn hunters, what would u do diffrent?

Old 12-11-2006, 07:18 AM

Default Mn hunters, what would u do diffrent?

What laws or restrictions would u like too see added and what restrictions would u like too see taken away? I would like too be able too use a scope for muzzloading. Even if its a low power one. Also how would u feel about antler restrictions?
Old 12-11-2006, 07:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Mn hunters, what would u do diffrent?

Move gun season back to when it used to be.
Old 12-11-2006, 07:43 AM
Fork Horn

Oh boy! This could be a long one. I would just move gun season back a couple of weeks out of the rut. I know this will start a battle between gun and archery hunters. I gun hunt also, but think that the movement caused by the orange army gets things going for gun hunters and the rut gets the movement for the archers.

I would also not object to antler restrictions but I do have mixed feelings about it. Mainly for youth or new hunters who haven't harvested a buck. I would hate to tell them they "couldn't" shoot a small buck.
Old 12-11-2006, 07:44 AM
Fork Horn

Tee Jay - I have only lived in MN for a couple of years so pardon my dumb question of When did it used to be? Earlier or Later?
Old 12-11-2006, 09:54 AM

i was just going too ask the samething, when did it use too be/ So by moving it out of the rut,the advantage would go back too the bowhunters your saying. I think u could have the anterler restrictions but take them off the youth tags.
Old 12-11-2006, 10:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Back in the 70s it opened tThanksgiving weekend. In the 80s they moved up a week. Before long it was opening the first weekend in Nov. And no by moving the rifle season back does not benafit the archer it benafits everyone. I archery hunt during rifle season. I havnt caried a gun for 4 years now. What it is going to do is let some of the bucks take their brain from between their legs an put it back in their heads. Take them out of the rut and let the boys get smart again.
Old 12-11-2006, 10:54 AM

wow, that is a interesting concept. i wasnt around when it was like that. Id give that a shot, im up for anything new. U didnt mention what u thought of antler restrictions. do u think that would ruin hunting. Actually now that i re-read what u wrote, i think if they did that, they wouldnt have too have restrictions, correct?
Old 12-11-2006, 11:55 AM

1. Move rifle season out of rut.

2. Get rid of party hunting.

3. Do a little more analyzing area specific on deer numbers. I live in Central/South Central MN. I can shoot like 5 deer. Well the numbers aren't there. Period. It just gets me real frustrated.

These are just a few. When we had our best hunting it was in the 90's. My dad likes to say we were doing QDM before there was QDM. We were passing bucks all the time. Hunting was very good. We had a day to remember in 1995, I shot a 205" gross and my dad shot 2 150" bucks on opening day. The reason we did good is because there was actually a population. Backthen you had to send for a doe permit, now you get 5. And you had to pick a weekend to hunt in our zone...before multi-zone and All-season. The DNR needs to come to grips. There may be a lot of deer in the state somewhere but in our 75 mile radius there are hardly any.
Old 12-11-2006, 01:03 PM

Yes, u get five doe permits now, but i dont think it will be like that forever and something had too be done, there was way too many deer. THe doe population back when u had the doe lottery was nothing like it is now. Also what do u have against party hunting. Im not for or against it per say, I just like too know when someone says too get rid of something, what their reasoning is. Also, the multi lis. or multi zone is great for someone who does archery, rifle and muzzloading. What part of the state are u in that u arent seeing any deer. I havent heard this anywhere in mn.
Old 12-11-2006, 01:21 PM

In my post I wrote Central MN. Kimball to be exact. There are not many deer at all. I have never seen way too many deer...I like seeing deer. If you log on to fishing mn and look in some of the deer reports you will see others saying the same. People tend to forget how good it really was thats why they continue to say there are still deer. Well I can guarentee the numbers are far too low in my area as compared to the carrying capacity. The deer are a resource albeit a renewable resource but theyshouldnot be used asa marketing tool.

I like the all season that's fine but I say no party hunting. The reasoning is to save some deer. Also, how many people buy their wives, grandma's etc tags to fill...it happens more than one would think. If you shoot a deer then you should be happy and tag the deer and be done and hunt for the umteen doe tags allowed. But if you shoot your buck then you should definatly be done buck hunting. So maybe a new law could read party hunting only for antlerless but I say do away with it all. If you want to shoot a fork then that should be it for you.

The question could be asked the other way....Why dowe haveparty hunting?

Quick Reply: Mn hunters, what would u do diffrent?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.