Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 Mn hunters, what would u do diffrent? >

Mn hunters, what would u do diffrent?

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Mn hunters, what would u do diffrent?

Old 12-18-2006, 09:47 PM
Spike

Default RE: Mn hunters, what would u do diffrent?

I'd say move the gun season so it's later in the month. It seems it's been getting warmer and warmer and I have personally not had much luck when it's real warm.

Also, I hunt on private land. Every Thanksgiving me and my uncle check some of the trails and there always seems to be more added scrapes and signs of activity. Out of five hunters though, we typically each get one a piece every season. I just think it would be better if it were colder.

I am not trying to rob the post here, but when does the rut in MN typically start? I hear a lot of conflicting answers and reasons, such as weather, day light, etc. I also see so many different scenarios when I'm hunting. A lot of does with a fawn or two, and then a few days later, I'll see a five pointer following a doe, and the next day, a big eight pointer walking all alone. Not sure what to think is going on as far as the rut.
Old 12-18-2006, 11:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Define rut??????

ORIGINAL: MNdeerhunter777

I'd say move the gun season so it's later in the month. It seems it's been getting warmer and warmer and I have personally not had much luck when it's real warm.

Also, I hunt on private land. Every Thanksgiving me and my uncle check some of the trails and there always seems to be more added scrapes and signs of activity. Out of five hunters though, we typically each get one a piece every season. I just think it would be better if it were colder.

I am not trying to rob the post here, but when does the rut in MN typically start? I hear a lot of conflicting answers and reasons, such as weather, day light, etc. I also see so many different scenarios when I'm hunting. A lot of does with a fawn or two, and then a few days later, I'll see a five pointer following a doe, and the next day, a big eight pointer walking all alone. Not sure what to think is going on as far as the rut.
Old 12-19-2006, 09:31 PM
Spike

Rut (As of deer in rut) The periodic sexual excitement, or heat, of certain mammals.
Old 12-20-2006, 10:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

As far as I can understand what you mean is the breeding itself right? There is "rut" activity as early as 1 Oct.
Old 12-20-2006, 03:41 PM
Spike

I guess I would say i meant the breeding itself. I wasn't sure when the rut started or how long it went. I'm pretty much talking about when bucks are chasing does. I'm not sure how big of a window that would fall into, or when it typically happens.
I'm not agreeing or disagreeing, but I see people write on here that they would like the hunting season out of the rut. I don't know, but I always assumed you'd want to hunt during the mating season, because it seems that there is more movement and mistakes to be made by the deer. I don't know.
Old 12-20-2006, 07:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

This is the problem! Our good ol boy hunters in this state cant stand to let a little buck pass. In fear the neighbor will smoke him. Let the bucks settle down and get their wits back.
Old 12-21-2006, 03:37 PM
Spike

I hear your point. I pass up deer every year, even with the thought of it not making it to the next season. Ya never know if a neighbor down the line is baiting or taking deer out of season.
Our party is 50/50. One side wants proper managment and shoots exclusively for bigger bucks, and the other side shoots for venison.
Either way, who wouldn't like to hunt when the chances are best.
Old 01-10-2007, 08:23 PM
Fork Horn

I think there should be a point restriction for everyone 16r and older for at least a year. You have to let some of the deer go by if you plan on shooting a big one someday. I think muzzleloaders are ment to be scope LESS, but if you want a scope you should have to hunt the shotgun season. The muzzleloader season is for open sights.
Old 01-10-2007, 09:09 PM
Fork Horn

We should make it a 4 point on oneside or betterrestriction. I like the Idea of moving the rifle season to the end of october. Those poor little and big bucks dont stand a chance during rut when gun seasons on. I noted little bucks first cause the big boy still have some sense not much but the little ones are just plain dumb it seems during peak (full) rut. I see alot of deer were we live so im not complaining about thatbut we have the potential to have alot of big bucks (140") plus. I my self would rather shoot a doe then a small 8 point even. Why shoot a little buck (spike, fork, 6point, small 8 point) so you can tell your buddys yeah got a big spike 6'' spikes 7'' inside spread WOW when if in just 3 years of passing the little ones up you wouldnt beleve the difference you would see in overall size. I do alot of bow hunting mostly public land and my few small potlatch leases. and see lots of good potental but always pass the little 8's up but it sucks to see the guy down the road drag them out so much for him getting bigger.2 years ago a good friend and I were hunting county land he shot a 18 pointer it was about a 135" main frame 10 point with alot of 2 inch stickers and a 3-4'' droptine we had a dnr look at it and it was only a 2.5 year old deer, for all we know it could have had spikes the year before. Im just trying to say that if you let them walk they will get big. As for the permanent deer stands crow wing county and cass county they are already outlawed cant build them cant sit in them good step imo. I like the idea of Travisvillesthe 2 shots in your gun sometimes it sounds like a war by you. I'm sure some people wont agree with me but owell keep shooting the spikes trophy hunters.
Old 01-10-2007, 09:11 PM
Fork Horn

Tee jay your from wadena you have some nice ones over there

Quick Reply: Mn hunters, what would u do diffrent?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.