Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 Mn hunters, what would u do diffrent? >

Mn hunters, what would u do diffrent?

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Mn hunters, what would u do diffrent?

Old 12-11-2006, 01:54 PM

Default RE: Mn hunters, what would u do diffrent?

With the way MN's weather has changed so drastically in the past years. I would love to see the season start up later in the year. This past season was pretty bizarre temperature wise. I remember hearing stories of freak warm weather November hunting, but it seems to be the norm lately. Snow would sure be nice sometime during the season. That was the discussion this past year around the fire, poll was bump the season by a Month.

Mike
Old 12-11-2006, 05:26 PM
Spike

I would also love to see the rifle season get pushed back a couple of weeks. I think they should get rid of permanent tree stands on public land. That is just a pet peeve of mine because of where I hunt. I think the state should go on some sort of antler restrictions. I would love to see bigger bucks on the public land that I hunt.
Old 12-11-2006, 05:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

I dont know how I feel about restriction. Kids and new hunters. I think that there will be alot of dumped deeer. Pull the trigger walk up to it oh crap it is not big enough lets get out of here. There is an awfull lot of that now with spikes and doe permits. Move the season 3-4 weeks back let the bucks get smarter and they are going to get bigger. "Quality not Quantitee!"
Old 12-11-2006, 06:46 PM

i to would like to see the rifle season pushed back at least 2 weeks, and also i would like to see a buck tag draw ,.and less doe tags issued,. (the doe tags for at least a few years ) in the area that i hunt anyway., but i look at nothdakota and even in state hunters have to apply for a buck tag., and in some areas,. theyissue only 1 % buck tagsfor non-res.,so maybe we can do that also., and yes i think they could pass the law to use scopes on muzzle loaders ., and if they the people that dont want them? then dont use one.,i my self would use one..,there is so many was to and suggestions out there so who knows???
Old 12-11-2006, 09:31 PM
Typical Buck

I would definitely be in favor of moving the gun season back a couple weeks!! Sure the bow guys would have another two weeks in stand, but with the statistically low harvest percentages for archery....it wouldn't matter much at all in regards to the overall harvest. Give the rutting bucks some time to get over their urges and I think it would help tremendously.
Old 12-12-2006, 01:42 AM

here is my only beef with moving the rifle season back. The problem is and it wont be for everyone, it depends on where u live, it could be damn cold. Almost too cold for the youth and elderly that hunt and if rifle is pushed back, muzzloading would have too be even later and it would really be cold. I know this wouldnt be a problem in certain parts of the state, but in the northern part, holy crap, u would die out there some days if the seasons were later.
Old 12-12-2006, 07:33 AM

I know the Wisconsin guys aren't any tougher than us. Their season always opens around Nov 20th. I don't think the cold hurt anyone in WI lately. It's not like you can't dress for it.
Old 12-12-2006, 08:30 AM

I live in eastern ND, and the Rifle hunting is almost not worth it unless you know someone who has some prime private land. The small areas of public land we have around here are almost wore out from all the rifle hunters.

As far as MN seasons go, I muzzleloaded in MN this year it was a blast. I unfortunately did not harvest an animal but the entire experience was a plus. It has been so much fun I want to move to MN to not pay so much to do that every year. I disagree with the allowing scopes, because you might as well shoot a rifle if you are going to scope a muzzleloader.

I could ramble more but I would just start talking about stuff I don't know about.
Old 12-12-2006, 09:16 AM

We are Minnesotan's, we are supposed to enjoy being COLD!When I hunted in the 70's with my Dad up in Northerm MN it was almost always around 15 daytime high or much colder. Now days it is tough to plan on what type of gear that you intend to use, temp wise. Back then you just put on everything you could to try and stay a little warm. This past season up in zone 1, I came out of the woods soaking wet from sweat, I was wishing that I had packed some sun screen!

For myself, I really miss the old fashioned Winters. Nothing felt better than freezing in the woods and then the best hot chocolate, I ever tasted

As far as messing up the ML season, isn't that a seperate zone? Possibly they could just set some are area aside for just Muzzleloaders, I believe that the State already gives them the State Park lotto's for hunting. I am not sure on this though as I am just getting started into the Muzzleloading.

Mike
Old 12-12-2006, 03:05 PM
Typical Buck

I think that they should have muzzleloader season from the end of rifle all the way to the end of archery. That way I could hunt christmas break. Also scopes should be allowed. I 'm even going to propose no more than 2 shells in your rifle. It would keep people from making such idoitic shots.

Quick Reply: Mn hunters, what would u do diffrent?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.