HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Midwest (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/midwest-25/)
-   -   Mchenry county Il (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/midwest/167420-mchenry-county-il.html)

whitetailsoldier 11-28-2006 10:25 PM

Mchenry county Il

Hi, just wondering if anybody on this site hunts by me.
Looking to discuss personel tactics for wheather and wacky winds??

[hr]

would love to share some local tips

peakrut 11-28-2006 11:16 PM

RE: Mchenry county Il

I hunt just over the border in Kenosha County. My father N Law hunted over by Spring Grove. (Got 180 Green score)
We usually hunt the edges and dont go to deep in the woods to disturb them.
I have a spot I could hunt over by river rd in McHenry but non resident fee steep price.
I might hunt Illinois in 2007. Good Luck

whitetailsoldier 11-29-2006 07:03 AM

Excellent, well I live in Woodstock IL. I hunt Mchenry,Woodstock,also spring grove, and Harvard. Harvard seems to be teaming with deer. Well this unusual wind ssw sse and a combination of extreme warmth this year is ending with inconsistant hunts, Im hoping for a cold spell! i Think the rut is done here but ive heard otherwise,how about you??

Justin 11-29-2006 07:09 AM

Funny, I live in Woodstock too. :D

I hunt Lake County quite a bit - near the Wauconda/Volo/Lakemoore area. Not too far from River Road/Moraine Hills State Park. Also have a spot in McHenry Co. in the Huntley/Marengo area. There's plenty of big bucks around, but with a limited amount of cover, heavy pressure from all imaginable sources, trespassers, houses, traffic, and a myraid of other obstacles to deal with they're not as easy to catch up with as one might think.

As for the rut, I'm sure there's a few late estrous does that the bucks are chasing, but for the most part it's pretty much done and over. I would focus more on food sources than doe bedding areas as the big guys are going to be needing to feed pretty soon - especially with this cold weather moving in.

And Peakrut - if you need someone to keep an eye on your River Road spot, send me a PM. :D

peakrut 11-29-2006 08:42 AM

If I dont hunt it which I will decide by March I will hook you up.

Slip_Hammer 11-29-2006 03:47 PM

Hi,

I live not far from these areas, but I don't yet have a tag. Where would I go to find out if any are available?

I read on the DNR's website that there is a drawing of some sort if all the tags are not given out. Where can I find out more about this?

Rob

jaysweet3 11-29-2006 03:59 PM

Good old McHenry co. I had a slow opening weekend. Just found a new spot dfor the second season just off of Millstream. I am gonna go check it out after work put up a stand tonight.

Don K 11-29-2006 06:03 PM

I have been seeing lots of roadkills the last couple days and the bucks are looking for late does. My partner had a nice buck come into his buck decoy and completely level it monday and he was so excited he missed it.

Been hunting one farm here for 25 years and just found out the conservation department will be buying it next year. Happy its not going to be homes but there goes my hunting spot.

Will be out the next 4 days with my 12 year old son hoping he can fill one or both of his gun tags.

Don

whitetailsoldier 12-01-2006 10:30 AM

hey this snow is wild HUNH?
12/1/06

Don K 12-01-2006 07:37 PM

Snow????

What snow?????

sportstalker 12-02-2006 07:53 AM

well i can tell you the deer are moving now with the snow and cold. i took a doe friday late afternoon and i sure earned her getting her out lastnight thru about 18 inches of snow, then butchering till about 10:30 pm last night. lots of tracks in my area in the fresh snow. now back to the woods to fill my other tag, hopefully a decent buck comes my way.