Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 Illinois' second season >

Illinois' second season

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Illinois' second season

Old 11-30-2006, 06:42 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Illinois' second season

ORIGINAL: fastetti

I agree with you DanScott, The corn was horrible to me, only got one doe (Field dressed at 160 though). On 300 acres 7 guys only got 4 Deer, but with the corn up 300 yards away and no one hunting it, those bucks were just laughing. Was seeing rubs on trees over 18 inches and diameter and deer sign everywhere. Lets hope that this cold front coming in gets them moving again. Ill be out Thursday afternoon, Friday and Sunday. I think these deer are going to stick to the thick stuff until this weather changes and maybe friday afternoon, it will be on, I also think the food source will be the spot, Ill be over an alfalfa field. Lets hope my 870 puts one more in the freezer and if I'm luckily my first on the Wall!! Good Luck all!!
Yeah, we had 10 guys out first season all three days and took only 2 deer. Worst year I can remember.
Old 11-30-2006, 11:43 AM

Hancock county, hunting with my 870 wingmaster. Hope this season is busier than 1st season was. I only saw maybe 10 deer all of 1st season!!!
Old 11-30-2006, 07:32 PM

i use to bowhunt sort of close to Mattoon,,i have a buddy that lives in Gays Illinois and me and a buddy went out there in the first week of November,,i havent been there in 10 years,,i sorta miss it,,but damn surgeries left me a little stiff
Bob
Old 11-30-2006, 09:35 PM

I am hunting on a relative's farm here in Ogle County. I got a nice 8 point in the first season. Now I am looking for a bigger one! That is at least until Sunday.

Today (Thursday) was slow, cold and windy in the woods. The deer weren't moving.
Old 12-01-2006, 01:43 PM
Fork Horn

I shot a Buck with his rack broken off at the bases Thursday at 1:30 at Lowden Miller State Forest. Only 8 deer checked in as of 4:00 Thursday.
Nothing was moving until around 10:00, from then on they were moving pretty good.

Good Hunting,
Bowflex
Old 12-01-2006, 05:49 PM

Does anyone know Don Higgins out of Gays Illinois??? he has a nice book out,,you should read it because it is a good one
Thank you
Bob
Old 12-02-2006, 03:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Out today (friday) after the 3 hour drive from downtown Chicago to Lasalle county, I was worried I got out to late(Snow Drifts all over the roads!). Once I walked out my tree stand I saw it was covered in Ice and decided to sit on the ground. Used my "Can" call twice and heard a decent buck behind me. He never showed his face (i think the windgot me.) after a few does hit the field and nothing behind them I decided to take one of the yearlings (Critics may not like it, buta deer is a deer) Dropped her with one shot and I couldn't be happier. I would love a set of horns for the wall, but as my dad has always said, you can't eat horns!! Good luck to all this weekend, two deer in the freezer, I am calling in quits for the year, next year, I hope we all have a $500 taxidermy bill coming our way after the "BIG ONE"!! Post the Pics if you get "the big one'!!
Old 12-04-2006, 08:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hunted Williamson co. public land. Rained nonstop thursday. 40 mph gusts on Friday, Cold & calm on Sat.& Sun. Shot a 2.5 Yr. old 8 pt. 16" spreadon Thursday morning at 8am. Both brow tines& 1 pt. busted up.Believe he was pushed to me by another hunter. Not a trophy deer but I'm fortunate as the other 3 guys I was with barely seen any deer.Will post a picture when I figure out this confounded thing.
Old 12-05-2006, 07:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here he is, not the biggest but I'm glad he came along. Good luck to everyone else this season.