Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 Illinois' second season >

Illinois' second season

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Illinois' second season

Old 11-28-2006, 04:55 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Illinois' second season

Lowden-Miller is where I gun hunt. While there are a lot of stands hung, I think most are bow stands. In the years I have hunted there I have only seen other hunters in stands once. There are a lot of "ground hunters", mostly older guys standing next to trees 100 yards from the parking lots smoking cigarettes! I usually make a lot of noise coming and going from the lots just to keep them on their toes.

If you do decide to go, the $5 they charge is a great deal. We usually hunt the southern end. It involves more walking but like I said, I almost never see other people on stands.

Good Hunting,
Bowflex
Old 11-28-2006, 05:46 PM
Zim
Nontypical Buck

Well I just got informed archery hunting is not allowed at Mazonia or Kankakee SP even though both are archery only properties. I just moved to Illinois. Can anyone tell me how these public properties work for shotgun? I know there is a draw which I could not participate in, but what about this standby thing? How does that work? Can I still get a walk-on permit if someone doesn't show up, or if a public property went undersubscribed?
Old 11-28-2006, 06:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

870 super mag. 3" winchester sabbots. ill be hunting friday and am waiting on a buck. who knows i may shoot a doe friday night and duck hunt saturday morning then goose hunt saturday night. we'll just have to see. i hunt peoria county private land.
Old 11-28-2006, 08:08 PM
Typical Buck

Will be out Fri, Sat and Sun (maybe Thur afternoon if I can get off work early) hunting in McHenry County. Will be sitting next to my 12 year old son and we both have 2 tags. Will see what happens.

Don
Old 11-28-2006, 08:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ill be hunting Greene County with my new muzzleloader. Leaving wedsday night and hunting till sunday.
Old 11-29-2006, 05:47 PM

anyone near Mattoon?
Bob
Old 11-29-2006, 08:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with you DanScott, The corn was horrible to me, only got one doe (Field dressed at 160 though). On 300 acres 7 guys only got 4 Deer, but with the corn up 300 yards away and no one hunting it, those bucks were just laughing. Was seeing rubs on trees over 18 inches and diameter and deer sign everywhere. Lets hope that this cold front coming in gets them moving again. Ill be out Thursday afternoon, Friday and Sunday. I think these deer are going to stick to the thick stuff until this weather changes and maybe friday afternoon, it will be on, I also think the food source will be the spot, Ill be over an alfalfa field. Lets hope my 870 puts one more in the freezer and if I'm luckily my first on the Wall!! Good Luck all!!
Old 11-29-2006, 08:49 PM
Fork Horn

Hey bob i go to college at lakeland and hunt outside of charleston..what about you
Old 11-29-2006, 10:18 PM

Hey bob i go to college at lakeland and hunt outside of charleston..what about you
I go to Lakeland as well, hmm small world

This year Ive got Jasper County shotgun permit, and ill be out a few times this second season
Old 11-29-2006, 10:20 PM

anyone near Mattoon?
Bob
I live in Teutopolis which is about half hr south of Mattoon

Quick Reply: Illinois' second season

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.