Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 Wisconsin Gun Season...Big Flop? >

Wisconsin Gun Season...Big Flop?

Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Wisconsin Gun Season...Big Flop?

Old 11-28-2006, 08:47 AM

Default RE: Wisconsin Gun Season...Big Flop?

I saw about the same amount of does as I did the last couple years and I never had to wait in line so long to register a deer. From the registration lines opening weekend I don't think the season wasa flop in Marathon county.
Old 11-28-2006, 01:14 PM
Spike

Big flop in Jackson County IMO. Saw 8 deer by 8:30 opening morning last year, when I shot my buck. This year I saw 9 deer the whole opening weekend. I'm hoping it was just the weather and lack of snow rather than something greater...
Old 11-28-2006, 04:10 PM
Fork Horn

I think the warm weather kept the deer from moving as much but more deer were killed this year than last.

A preliminary total of 336,211 deer were registered by hunters at the close of Wisconsin’s nine-day gun deer season. Wildlife officials stress that this is a preliminary figure and likely will change somewhat. The preliminary call-in total from 2005 nine-day season was 312,519 deer. The final total for the 2005 nine-day season after all registration stubs had been processed was 325,630.
There is also a county by county total of deer killed.

http://www.dnr.state.wi.us/org/caer/ce/news/rbnews/BreakingNews_Lookup.asp?id=390
Old 11-28-2006, 04:40 PM

I hunted portage county. Saw 7 deer opening weekend and shot a doe. the rest of the week I saw a doe and a spiker. Saturday we went to price county where my dad's buddy has land. I missed a 130 - 140 inch 8 pointer. It was on a drive and it was running at 150 yards and i didnt have a good rest. I had a 15 yard lane to shoot in. It was a clean miss.

Basically, opening weekend was good and the rest of the week sucked. At least i got my EAB sticker.
Old 11-28-2006, 04:56 PM

It was good in my section. Got 2 does, my biggest buck so far. And my buddy got 2 does and a buck.

I would say thats a good year. Our best.
Old 11-28-2006, 11:12 PM

i thought the season was a flop for our camp in shawano co.
Old 11-30-2006, 07:41 PM
Spike

A major flop in the northeast where I hunt. We have 10 guys in our camp and more than half of them came in after opening day and had seen less than 3 deer all day. That is some hard hunting sitting in stands all day that over the years have produced some decent deer numbers. After opening day it was something just if you saw a deer. And these are not guys partying till the wee hours of the morning and putting in a half ass hunt the next day. Its early to bed and hunt hard all day. It has been getting worse every year for the last 10 years and I guess this is the way the boys in Madison want it, well, now they got it. I have hunted numerous areas of the country in my lifetime and I can honestly say that where I live is the worse hunting I have ever seen. I agree that it is imperative to take does but when it gets too a point like this at least entertain the thought that it might be a good idea to reduce the doe kill for a while, instead of telling hunters that we don't know the facts behind the numbers because we are not biologists. WE KNOW WE DON'T SEE ANY DEER. Bottomline!!!!
Old 12-01-2006, 02:36 PM

Big flop for us. Although we saw deer, it was by no means the numbers we've seen before. We also had some guys from MN hunting in the area for the first time and they were running all over the place so that may have played a big factor. We hunt public land so not much we can do.
Old 12-01-2006, 04:39 PM

I would have to say NO FLOP. I saw over 40 deer this year hunting. I have been hunting well since I was 12 and i'm 23 now. And that is the most deer I have seen gun hunting ever. I hunt mostly Eau Claire and southren Dunn Counties. I shot 5 this year. I got 4 does and my buck. I have 7 people in my hunting party and we got 11 deer. 4 bucks and 7 does. So we had a very good year this year.
Old 12-01-2006, 05:34 PM
Fork Horn

Major Flop. I seen two deer in nine days. Opening weekend of the three of us my son seen one buck and missed. Luckly he got he seen another on Monday. 10 years ago everyone that hunted this property would see at least 35 in a season. My dad would see up to 80 from his stand. This is not just because of warm weather this has been a problem for the lastseven years. The DNR lies through their teeth.

Quick Reply: Wisconsin Gun Season...Big Flop?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.