Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 Indiana Hunters >

Indiana Hunters

Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Indiana Hunters

Old 11-12-2006, 06:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Indiana Hunters

Went yesterday afternoon. Saw a 4pt running around, then a 6pt following him a minute later. Saw a few does right before dark, but closest they came was 100 yards.

I'm kind of bummed that nothing real big came within bow range this year (I won't be able to hunt to gun opener now). Had many small does/button bucks and small bucks close..but I'd rather burn an archery tag than shoot a small deer. If the past week was gun season, I would have been tagged out with a few very nice deer. That alone keeps my hopes up.

The past few years I've used my Knight muzzleloader during firearm season. This year I'm switching back to my 12ga. I've used Lightfield sabots in the past, and this year they have a great slug out. If you're 2.5" high @ 50y, it's dead nuts @ 150y, 6" low @ 200y still flyingnearly 1000fps. That is crazy! Comparable to some small caliber rifles. My Knight is 4" low @ 200y, but it sucks cleaning that thing all the time.
Old 11-12-2006, 09:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

I had a feeling this morning was going to be good, and it was. Started off horribly though, either my alarm didnt go off or i shut it off immediately without waking up, neither me nor my wife heard it go off. I wake up and it is 7:15 am. I hurried up and took off, my spot is only about 10 minutes away, seen a huge buck chasing a doe through a field on the way out there. Got in the woods and was settled by about 8am. Not 10 minutes later i had spike buck come in. I watched him for a while and then i heard a crashing off to my left, decent 8 pointer all over a doe. He chased her everywhere, they didnt leave my sight until almost 9:30. A half hour went by and i looked back to left and seen a very tall rack coming in, thought for sure it was that big 8 from a week ago. He ended up heading into some brush and i lost him, come to find out he had circled around me and was heading straight back to me. His nose was to the ground and his mouth looked like it was hanging open lol. He was in hot pursuit of some love. As he got closer it looked like it was either a 4 or a 6 point, but a huge body and decent rack. As he went back into the neighbors property he finally found him a doe and pushed her around. The doe was letting him get a whiff of her. Finally at about 10:30 i had that basket rack 9 that i saw the other day come in, i left at 11. The bucks were on the move this morning, the does looked extremely close to being ready. Im a bit dissapointed though to see all those an not see the one i am after. I have a feeling I wont see him again. I'll keep trying though.
Old 11-12-2006, 04:45 PM
Typical Buck

I was out last night and this morning and saw limited movement kinda surprised but it happens
Old 11-13-2006, 06:44 AM

I didn't hunt this weekend due to a bunch of other crap going on, but I did see a ton of deer, mostly bucks, on the way up to Kendallville to get my kids at their dad's house. I even saw a deer standing in the field behind my mom's house (you can see it from I 69). I was happy to see this, as I know there are deer in her woods, but haven't seen any myself. Last year, she had a bachelor group move through her back yard a few nights in a row, big ones too from what she was saying. She keeps telling me I should come sit on her back patio, behind a shrub and call them in! LOL

I may just have to try that one of these days! LOL

Old 11-13-2006, 10:47 AM

Iam taking my Nephew this year, He got started into hunting late he is 15 and has just became ate up with hunting, His dad my brother never liked hunting (deer), But i have a problem! all i have is Public Land and they will not let him go because of this, You talk about a kid that is broken hearted, He came down last night and was in the garage with me going through some hunting stuff and started to cry,I have talked to his Mom and Dad and they are not changing there minds, I feel bad i have got him all fired up into deer hunting and he has saved his mowing money and bought his new gun and now cant go, I really never thought his parents would mind and now this, I feel like i have let him down big time? What can i do........ help please>>>>>
Old 11-13-2006, 12:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

That stinks Dave. I cant believe his parents would be against something that he clearly has taking a passion to. He could be out doing much worse things then deer hunting thats for sure. I think i would just let the kid talk to them and see if he cant get them to change there mind. If there minds are made up then i dont know what you can do. If all else fails, you could always tell a fib and say you got some private land to hunt. I wasnt allowed to start deer hunting till i was 12, and my mom still tells me story of when i was much younger i used to stand at the door and cry becuase i couldnt go hunt with my dad. Dont give up, i'd try everything possible to get him out there.
Old 11-13-2006, 04:43 PM
Typical Buck

I agree keep trying is all i can say what part of the state are you in
Old 11-13-2006, 06:17 PM

quick question...i'm coming in from south carolina this weekend for opening day. Has your rut started yet? should i use my rattle bag? any other ideas.
Old 11-13-2006, 06:33 PM

Monster10rackstack,
I went down there again tonight, and it seem that its not the deer hunting its where we are going? Someguys were talking at her work and said somethings about public land, And its her baby, i can understand her feelings, I told kevin that i will try next year to get some private land. Iam done! iam not going to change her mind. Thanks for the time guys Oh buy the way iam from Elwood its north of Indy,about 30 miles. Hey if anyone know of someone that would willing to lease some land next year keep me in mind...
Old 11-13-2006, 06:51 PM
Typical Buck

i understand what you are saying dave im really sorryto hear that.

where are you planning on hunting mreffex how much do you have to pay in nonres tags sure is nice of you

Quick Reply: Indiana Hunters

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.