HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Midwest (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/midwest-25/)
-   -   Indiana Hunters (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/midwest/157510-indiana-hunters.html)

Buck Huntin Girl 10-23-2006 05:55 AM

RE: Indiana Hunters

Yah, I'm hoping for an increase in activity in the next week. Scrapes continue to be "freshened up" every day we go out, so I know they are working it. My buddy is set up about 50 yards from the scrapes, if that, he doesn't have a clear shot at them, but he is set up between them and a major bedding area, so I am wishing him luck. He has yet to take a deer, this is his 3rd year hunting, first year with a bow. He's hooked, but I'd like to get him his first deer. Makes it easier for me to get out of bed in the mornings knowing I'vegot a new hunter with the passion to take out. We won't let him go out there without us because we haven't cleared that with the landowner, so I don't have much of a choice if I want to keep his interest.

One of these days I will get my own deer... I'm hoping it's during bow season, I so much appreciate the warmer temps and added challenge, but only time will tell. We just thawed out our last package of slimjims from my husband's deer 3 weeks ago and I NEED more... I guess 10 lbs goes about... uh... 2 weeks around here.

bigbuckOO 10-23-2006 11:53 AM

Im going out tomorrow morning for the first time. Would like to go tonight but got a stupid math exam in class tonight so cant skip out on that. I like the weather like this myself, minus the winds. The cold and the clouds and drizzle type stuff is right up my alley. I hate high winds though. They are saying 5-10 mph tomorrow so thats not bad at all.

TurkeyStalker 10-23-2006 12:19 PM

I went to Ramsey this Friday and did not see a thing, the first time I have been out there and not seen anything. Then went to Palmyra and saw two 40 pound fawns with spots. What gives? The deer seemed to be shut down for some reason. I thought for sure they would be moving after all the rain we had and after the cold front blew in on Friday. Went Sat. around theStarlight area and saw nothing at all. I will be back out in Ramsey this Wednesday and Thursay evening to see how things are coming along. A couple of big bucks have been killed close to my house(Starlight Area), one 14 pointer taken Tuesday, and a really nice 8 point that scored around 150 plus inches. Well good luck to all and be safe. Rut is creeping up, I would suspect some bucks are seeking now? Anyone else have any thoughts?

bigbuckOO 10-23-2006 12:36 PM

I have rubs and scrapes out where i hunt so i would say it is getting close. The last week of October and into early Novemeber is always my favorite time to hunt and is usually when i start seeing the Bucks stroll through checking things over. I still got a lot of standing corn to deal with though and thats not normally a good thing out there.

monster10rackstack 10-23-2006 09:28 PM

Great night out i was up the tree in my viper at 4:30. Around 5:15 a 3 year old 4 pt walked 5 yards behind the stand. I was after a doe so i let him walk. At around 6 a nice doe headed right for my stand. here is where it gets weird as i drew back my arrow fell off my rest and the nock fell off to.this all happening with the doe at 19 yards and in the open i slowly let down reset my arrow and drew again. the doe was at 17 yards now and i set my pin and drilled her double lunged her and she took off with my arrow laying on the ground. i say her drop 70 yards away. I waited 23 minutes and slowly climbed down after retrieving my arrow i started to where i saw her drop i walked within 10 yards and she gets up and makes it 10 feet before droping again. I was so surprised because i saw the shot drilled her.Irenocked thesame arrow and shot her in the heart it took her about 7 minutes to die as i started field dressing her i had another doe walk 35 yard away from me

Pictures to come tomorrow

Stack

Pat Curtis 10-24-2006 03:24 AM

Smoked her! Good job, bro!

Parrot Head 10-24-2006 05:54 AM

Just checked my numbers this moring. 23 days hunted total of 124 hours and 150 deer seen. Down from last year. Bound to start getting better.

Buck Huntin Girl 10-24-2006 07:16 AM

I haven't been seeing anything... shoulda been out this morning, that was my bad. I didn't hear from my hunting buddy until 11:30 last night and by that time it was too late because I hadn't laid out any clothes for hunting, OR any clothes for my daughter to get up and go to school. Plus, I would've had to tell my husband that I was going and he was already at work... he needed to sleep when he got home, didn't need to stay up late to get the kid on the bus.

Even with the winds, we saw a ton of deer along I-69 and 469 last night on our way home from the funeral, more than I've seen all year. I think I missed a good opportunity to hunt last night. [&o]

I am surprised at the number of deer I have NOT seen this year. I know they are there, plenty of fresh sign all over, tracks right in front of my new stand location, but it just seems they are still quite nocturnal. Of course, I am used to hunting a stand where I SEE deer everytime out, but not in shooting range, usually 100yds out. This year I bought and placed a stand 15 yards into the woods on the edge of the cornfield, right close to a popular bedding AND travel area. The only bummer about it is the only deer I can see are the ones I can shoot, and since I haven't gotten one yet this year... lol... I haven't seen any.

Of course every day out there now is getting us closer and closer to the rut, plus the colder temps moving in should get them up and moving a little more now. Or at least I'm hoping.

tlutterba 10-24-2006 09:59 AM

I hunted last night and had great success with the snort wheeze. I snorted a button buck then at least 5 bucks and started a fight! it was an awesome experience. coyotes ruined it after 15 mintues..i recommend snort wheeze in souther indiana

bigbuckOO 10-24-2006 10:27 AM

Didnt go this morning, overslept. Pretty bad to oversleep on what was going to be the first morning for me. They need to start those Monday Night Football games a little earlier. Oh well, im heading out later this afternoon. Congrats on the doe rackstack, cant wait to see some pics.