Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Rifles in IN

Old 08-28-2006, 05:51 PM

Default Rifles in IN

Has anyone heared anything about being able to hunt with rifles in Indiana. I heared it was being discussed but I didn't know if it was true or not.
Old 08-28-2006, 07:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Rifles in IN

I remember reading about it, but never heard anything come from it. In the Hunting guide this year, rifles are not allowed.

Overall, I'm not too upset. My bow did just fine last year.
Old 08-29-2006, 05:33 AM
Dominant Buck

It's currently being discussed , and there's a strong possibility that certain calibers will be allowed as early as next year . I heard this directly from a CO .
Old 08-29-2006, 09:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

Got to say that the new loads for shot guns aren't much different than using a rifle. Darn close to double what they were when i first started hunting with one. I use them but they make me a little scared. No game is worth hurting someone over, none.

I can't believe they are even thinking of changing to rifles with more people now than ever. Seems they would be going the other way. Just my 2. I usea riflein Va. and enjoy it but they are a d!@# dangerous weapon. All the talk of taking a trophy animal coupled with the statements that to be somebody you have to get one I think all leads to guys taking chances that they shouldn't. The old saying "pride goes before a fall" is not just some smoke.

A lot of big shots with big mouths goading youngerguys into proving themselves is bad medicine.Some rifles would make it thatmuch easier for some one to get hurt or more likely killed.
Old 08-29-2006, 10:34 AM
Dominant Buck

I disagree Nodog .
Many states have had rifle hunting for decades , including some that are much more heavily populated than Indiana , and the data shows that they are no more of a hazard than the rednecks blazing 6 slugs at running deer like we have now . The calibers under consideration are all low velocity "cowboy" rounds like the .30-30 , nothing really high powered . Some of the smokeless muzzleloaders are good to 200 yards , and some of the shotgun slugs rival them as well . Knowing your gun and your backstop is what's important , not the cartridge .
Old 08-29-2006, 12:55 PM
Spike

I am shooting the new hornady sst slugs and they areonly 6 inches low at200 yards. I would think that is not much different than a 30-30, 45-70, 444 marlin, or something similar.
Old 08-29-2006, 04:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

My Knight sabots for my .50 are good up to 200 yards with 150gr Pyrodex. My Lightfield slugs for my 12ga are good up to 175 yards at least.
Old 08-29-2006, 07:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

I thought the loads maybe of that kind. A popular deer gun the 7mm will blaze a long trail. A lot of guys would push for that one. My shot gun and ml will do the same as others and if saftey is the reason we use them it just seems they are getting to be too much. If saftey isn't the reason then there's no reason not to allow the use of similar rifles. I really don't know the reasons but always thought saftey was it.

Hear in Ohio we have to plug our guns, not saying the rednecks will. Only 3 shots a blazen.
Old 08-29-2006, 08:12 PM
Typical Buck

QUESTION: If distance is the problem no .22s. NO, not the solution

the question is why allow or not allow. I do not see a problem with allowing some rifles like its been stated we haveslugs fling that far I hunt with my bow 95% of the time and with my black diamond the rest The thing that I question is our fall turkey season not complaining but thats caused new issues (more guns in the woods during bows season and some other stuff). We would have restricted areasI bet
Old 08-30-2006, 05:43 AM
Dominant Buck

There have always been guns in the woods during early archery Monster , squirrel hunting begins August 15th every year and there are other gun seasons and varmint hunting going on as well . The Fall turkey season and other gun fire has had no significant impact on bow hunting .

The concept of selected areas for rifle deer hunting is also being considered , but while it makes sense on the surface you also have to consider the states that are even flatter and far more open than Indiana . Many of those states have allowed rifle hunting for decades without significantly higher accident rates . HE specifically geared toward rifle hunting would be an excellent idea , having HE in general reinstated into the schools as an elective would be as well .

Quick Reply: Rifles in IN

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.