Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 what are you paying for processing? >

what are you paying for processing?

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

what are you paying for processing?

Old 10-12-2006, 07:57 PM

Default RE: what are you paying for processing?

Nothing, we do our own.
Old 10-13-2006, 06:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

I process my own as well. I figure our family harvest around 7 deer per year, so it's saves a descent amount of money.
Old 10-13-2006, 08:32 AM
Fork Horn

I pay around $2.40 / lb. for my venison sausage, patties, etc. The jerky is $39.00 for a box of 50. I have contemplated doing all of this myself, as I love to cook, plus some canning from my garden. I find it hard to stop going to the place that does the processing as my family have gone to them since the early 70’s and we shop at their store throughout the year, and know the owners and staff quite well.
Old 10-13-2006, 09:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a 2.5hp grinder/stuffer..but saw an awesome blade cutter with a grinder on it as well for only $200 (my grinder alone was over $100). I'm thinking about picking one up soon, thus selling or keeping my grinder for backup. Decisions...
Old 10-13-2006, 10:15 AM

We just took hubby's deer in last weekend and to get the basic package, steaks, ground, roast, it would've been $55. We ended up getting our hide back ($10), 10 lbs jerky, 10 lbs jalepeno slim jims, and roast and burger with the rest and it will only be $110 total.

Hubby woulda cut it up himself, except it was soooo hot last weekend, couldn't take the chance.
Old 10-13-2006, 06:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

This year,I started doing my own. The flavor is SO much better. No gamey taste at all. My mouth's watering as I sit here thinking about those yummy steaks. I shot my doe the day after the season opened and I couldn't get it checked in and taken care of until the following day. When I got her home, a friend helped me skin and quarter her. Then, I deboned the meat and wrapped and labeled as I went. As soon as I had a piece wrapped, it went into the deep freeze. I wrapped BIG pieces. I didn't cut it up further because it was getting hot. Plus, cutting even slices is much easier when the meat is partially frozen. I once had it worked out to about 30 cents a pound, or so, if you do the processing yourself.
Old 10-16-2006, 09:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

This year, I started doing my own. The flavor is SO much better. No gamey taste at all.
I agree completely. Three years ago I paid $90 for basic processing, no extras and decided that would be the last time I would pay to have someone cut up my deer. The last two seasons I've done my own and while it takes a bit of time (I'm not that good at it yet), I find the meat to be less gamey flavored because I take the time to get all talo and silver skin off. My wife agrees too - she coulnd't believe the difference in flavor of the last few deer I've done compared to the venison we've had from the processor.

Although my initial invesment was about $80 - includes a decent knife set, tape, freezer paper, grinder - it was paid for after the first deer. I also find it a very rewarding part of the hunt. Only drawback is I tend to start hunting hard later in the season to wait for the cold weather in order to hang the deer a day or two before butchering. Worth the effort. If you don't think you can butcher your own deer, think again, it's not that hard, just time consuming.
Old 10-16-2006, 05:36 PM
Spike

I used to pay $50 for adecent job but my processor movedso I have been doing it myself for the last few years and I am alot happier with the results.