Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 Deer Hunting near Allendale/Grand Rapids, MI >

Deer Hunting near Allendale/Grand Rapids, MI

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Deer Hunting near Allendale/Grand Rapids, MI

Old 08-14-2006, 01:02 AM

Default Deer Hunting near Allendale/Grand Rapids, MI

Quick question for you Lower Michigan hunters...how is the hunting in Ottawa County or Kent County near Allendale, Walker, and Grand Rapids? Im planning on attending Grand Valley State University next year and was wondering if anyone hunts around there. Any public land? Good deer population? Thanks in advance...
Old 08-14-2006, 04:46 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Deer Hunting near Allendale/Grand Rapids, MI

The Deer population is pretty good but not alot of bucks, alot of 1 1/2year old bucks in the Allendale area. I have some relatives that hunt there all the time but is on private land. Don't know much about state land in Allendale.
www.moabhunting.com
Old 08-14-2006, 01:25 PM

Thanks for that info troy. I hope to be able to hunt near the school if I end up going there so I dont have to drive all the way around Lake Michigan to get to the UP.

Anyone else?
Old 08-15-2006, 06:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

There is very few accessible state lands in kent county. I don't know to much about ottawa county but I think there is some land. the bucks aren't very good exspecially on state land. it's tough getting a nice one on private, let alone state.
Old 08-15-2006, 03:13 PM

I was hoping you'd respond bh14, since you live in the area. Is there any good land within an hour or 2 of Grand Rapids?
Old 08-15-2006, 07:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

There are some areas but they are over-run with hunters. If you can find your honey hole, you are very lucky but I would say within 2 hours of GR, your best bet would be some private land. You just have to find a plat book and get lucky with the right land owner. It is tough. There is some state land near Big Rapids, which is only an hour away from my house but would be pushing 1 1/2 or 2 from Allendale. Keep in contact and maybe I could help some more. --- Buckhunter
Old 08-16-2006, 06:22 PM
Spike

A friend of mine lives on Gun Lake (1/2 hr south of GR) and hunts some state land around there. I don't know the area much, but I do know he's had a lot of stands stolen out there. When I say a lot I'm talking about half a dozen. He's tried all kinds of ways to lock them to the tree, but they still got em. Last year they even cut down the tree to get the stand off it. Not trying to discourage, just warning ya.
Old 08-17-2006, 01:38 PM

Thanks for the info guys.
Old 08-18-2006, 07:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Uphunter, I live in Allendale and not much here but if you put in alittle time knocking on doors you can find some spots around Coopersville area it is only about 15 mins north. I have hunted there for years on a small farm and have seen some bucks that will go from 120-150 there.. Walt
Old 08-18-2006, 10:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'd say Walk it right, private may be the only way to go.

Quick Reply: Deer Hunting near Allendale/Grand Rapids, MI

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.