Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 How's the hunting in MO? >

How's the hunting in MO?

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

How's the hunting in MO?

Old 06-18-2006, 07:48 PM

Default How's the hunting in MO?

I've got a friend about an hour drive into the countrysoutheast of the KC area who has given me an invite to go hunting onthe familyproperty. I've heard all about it from her, but I'd like some other input from some "fellow" hunters.
1. because she's never hunted anywhere else to compare it with.
2. 'cause I think she's a bit biased in having me come out there.

So.....
How's the deer hunting (rifle or bow)?
And how's the small game? (my personal favorite)
Being used to Northeast PA and Southern NY, I'm a bit biased myself. Towards thick woods and hilly country.

Can anyone compare the two?
Old 06-19-2006, 03:39 PM

Default RE: How's the hunting in MO?

Good hunting for deer, turkey and small game! I hunt 2 1/2 hours south of KC in Kansas. Don't know about hunting else where. I'd take a look at the property and see what its like. See if there's any public land around there to hunt also. Explore your options and see whats available.

Old 06-20-2006, 07:16 AM
Fork Horn

What town is she near? That area can be hilly, flat, open or heavily wooded. You can get about everything in Missouri. It probably has great turkey hunting if she has a decent amount of woods. Decent deer hunting but the farther south of the Missouri River you go the deer seem to get a little smaller but should still have a big one or two running around.
Old 06-20-2006, 08:23 AM
Fork Horn

I hunt Gasconade County (east Central MO), I live in IL but have an uncle with a nice farm. I do not bow hunt out there but go out there to rifle hunt. THe farm is manged with plots and great cover and water sources. It is a very nice setup but unfortunately the deer are never allowed to grow to there prime by the surrounding property hunters. I have been hunting there for almost 15 years now and have only witnessed 3 deer that would have scored in the 120's or better. I may be a little one sided since I live in a big buck area of IL. I do beleive since MDC has imposed the 4 point rule the area will start to produce better deer in the future. But I do know one thing, my cousin decided to give my area a try during shotgun season and I had him on a 130 1/8 8pt the first morning. He has not stopped talking about how much he is looking forward to this season. I hope that your area you have permission to hunt is better then the area I hunt in MO. Last year with the warm weather during gun season it was extremely slow. Hope this year holds better yeild then last year. I have nothing against MO but I think the MO boys should put down the big guns and think about using shorter range guns to let the deer start growing larger. I am only talking about the area in which I have experience. I now MO holds some of the largest deer in the national just not as abundant as other states.

~Jeff
Old 06-20-2006, 02:08 PM

She is in KC, but where the family farm is, I'm not really sure. She mentioned the nearest town to it but I don't remember it off hand.
Old 06-21-2006, 10:41 PM
Fork Horn

Hey Zingnut, who's your uncle. I grew up in Hermann but i hunt on the north side of the river in Montgomery county. The area I hunt still has a few big farms so there are a few decent bucks over there but most of the area gets broke up intosmall acreages like 40 or 50 acres. Than you have 10 people hunt it and shoot everything they see. I hate that. I still hunt back there quite a bit, but luckily my wife's family has lots of land in Iowa thatdoesn't get a lot of hunting pressure like back home.
Old 06-21-2006, 11:04 PM

There's something I'd like to clarify. I always forget to ask when I'm on the phone, etc with my friend out there and the regulations I've looked up online aren't specific.

Are Semi-autos legal to use for hunting in MO?

Heck, part of the very reason that friend made the invite is also because I've been thinking of moving and Mo was one of the possibilities. If I can use my 10/22 or my mini-14 it would be a big plus in helping decide where to go to as far as I'm concerned.
Old 06-23-2006, 10:35 PM

Yes semi autos are legal in MO, I hope your wanting to use the 10/22 for small game,,lol.. For deer any centerfire cartridge is legal by the state laws,, some think it should be limited to .24 caliber, but so far it isnt, if Im not mistaken the mini 14 is a .223? It is legal, but you can only have a 10 round clip. Any centerfire cartridge and a rifle holding no more than 11 rounds including the chamber, is legal, along with slugs, but no buckshot for deer. I think the deer hunting in Mo is good, but weve been managing our farm for about 10 years now, so we have some good bucks on it, and the bordering landowner on two sides of our property doesnt hunt or allow hunting,, he state does need to put the antler restrictions state wide, but have several counties which are restricted to 4 points on one side, and I know there are come counties near KC that are restricted. Id say come try it out, you may like it, and you can just buy a tag over the counter, it dont get much easier. Good luck if you go.