HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Midwest (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/midwest-25/)
-   -   Shed hunting help (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/midwest/134157-shed-hunting-help.html)

CRIMSON512 02-23-2006 01:38 PM

Shed hunting help

So this is my first year shed hunting and i've had no luck. I was wondering what I do wrong I mean I walk the woods slowly and search almost as if i'm trying to pick up a blood trail but i've had no luck. I aslo search high density deer areas that I know have big bucks. The only antler i've found is a ugly 4 pt. drop tine that was on a deer hit by a train. Please post me with some hints I have spent well over 50 hours in the woods with the only success being a railroad kill buck.
Thank you,
Keith Wilson

15pointer 02-23-2006 01:42 PM

RE: Shed hunting help

I found some by lookin in heavily traveled paths.. (deer trails). Dont really look for blood more than antler. Blood washes away antlers dont. I have only found one 4 point also. i am goin to wait a couple of weeks.

mahoningbuck 02-23-2006 04:59 PM

I have been out twice but have yet to find any sheds. I was talking with my buddy on tuesday and he said he has seen bucks with antlers along with a couple half racks. I think in the next three weeks things will change! This was in Delaware County

emo 02-23-2006 08:10 PM

One of my mbrs. harvested a large buck during black powder that had droped it's rack. I have been walking the runs where I have found the in the past but no luck so far. Maybe a little early. lazyshuntclub.org

bowtech die hard 02-23-2006 10:05 PM

sheds are tough to find anyways, just train your eyes like you would for mushrooms.

CRIMSON512 02-24-2006 01:36 AM

Thanks everyone I was beginning to think I was blind or something. I found alot of cool stuff though i've found many dead deer I am currently bleaching 7 skulls and i've found a couple of tree stands on private property in non hunting areas when I asked the owners permission to take them they happily let me because they hadnt given anyone permission to hunt it so it hasnt been a total waste of time.

Bow4Buc 02-24-2006 01:17 PM

I have a few sheds I found over the years. Funny thing is I always seem to find them when i'm out and about . I go out looking for them and never seem to find any.

buckmaster68 02-24-2006 05:39 PM

Just a couple of things to add to this.
Look on the south slopes or hill sides if you have them, the deer like to bed on the south sides to get heat from the sun, and also usually the cold winds come from the north/northwest.
Bedding areas are usually good also as the deer spend a lot of time in their bedding areas in the winter and they don't move any more than they have to.
Main travel routes and field edges also good.
Hope this helps.

trophy hunter 02-25-2006 10:18 AM

they got to drop them before you can find them, i have seen 3 bucks this week with both on, one last night...

mahoningbuck 03-01-2006 05:28 PM

Buddy out on 2/28/06 and saw two bucks still with their racks!