Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 Back from Kansas... >

Back from Kansas...

Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Back from Kansas...

Old 01-01-2006, 07:25 PM
Typical Buck

Default Back from Kansas...

Back from Kansas. I did not slay a Slob, but had fun any way. There is a drought going on down there and the landscape is dryer than a cracker fart, so I concentrated on water sources near bedding cover. Kevin Dechant gave me an areil photo of one of his farms and showed me some great sheds and a monster nontypical with over 20 points and matching drops that he found dead last year on this property. He has recently seen a couple really nice bucks on this lease so I held out. The hardest part was finding a tree to hunt out of. The trees resembled Wisconsin bushs. Most of my stand sets were only 10 or 15 feet off of the ground. We even cut a hole out of a cedar tree and set a stand in that. I saw about 10 or 12 bucks mostly on the water sources. I saw one buck fight and heard 3 others and found a freshly broken pc of antler where one fight took place.
I saw two pope and young class bucks but neither was a shooter on such a well managed lease.
Here is one of my set ups from the camera mans point of veiw.

This buck walked by me twice within range on two different days.

And of coarse, I couldn't enjoy the trip without chaseing down at least one critter

Caught me a opossum!

If any of you guys would like to check out Classic Kansas, Kevin Dechant and Jim Sherry's hunting website where I was hunting here it is http://www.classickansaswhitetails.com/
Old 01-02-2006, 04:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Back from Kansas...

Looks like you had fun!!! What part of KS were you in? I hunt throughout the North 1/2 of the state, and can say that this year we've had more rain throughout the summer and and fall months than in the past 5 years. In the past 5 years the ponds and rivers have been extremely dry, but finally most of them are filled back up. Not completely full but a lot better.
Old 01-02-2006, 05:03 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Back from Kansas...

Hey KSHunter,
I was hunting near Hutchinson in south central KS.