Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 Great... JUST GREAT... >

Great... JUST GREAT...

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Great... JUST GREAT...

Old 12-03-2005, 06:30 AM

Default Great... JUST GREAT...

So I just posted about how we have deer travel through our land all of the time... well, hubby is in his stand right now, texted me and told me he hasn't even seen any TRACKS!!! [:@] What in the world is going on?! The snow has been on the ground for 4 days now, he should definitely have seen some tracks! How can the deer be there, then just be GONE? We had tons of tracks 3 weeks ago... BIG ones at that, one the size of hubby's hand! Last time I went out, three weeks ago, I saw more deer than I could count. Shouldn't the snow be bringing them out? Anyone else having any problems with this since the snowfall?
Old 12-03-2005, 07:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Great... JUST GREAT...

Hmmm...usually snow does bring them out for me. I wouldn't get down on the land by any means...deer are weird.
Old 12-03-2005, 09:30 AM
Fork Horn

well i dont know whats happening but it sounds like you killed them all
Old 12-03-2005, 11:38 AM
Typical Buck

I would try to find a pine or a cedar thicket.
Old 12-03-2005, 12:07 PM

ours are usually moving during the snow, but yesterday, they were sitting tight and wouldn't move.
Old 12-03-2005, 02:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

If your hunting a small area, deer move out once snow comes. I see 20 or 30 deer a day until the snow comes and now I am lucky to see one. You just have to find another spot sometimes. Be sure before you move though!
Old 12-03-2005, 08:16 PM

Well, 3-5" tonight, and hubby gets first crack at it in the morning... we'll see how that goes. I went out tonight, saw 5. He's right though NO tracks whatsoever in the woods, really weird. Pat said it best, deer are weird.

I WISH I had killed 'em all... only got that little button buck with my bow so far this year.

Two of the deer I saw tonight were headed away from me, all I saw was their tails in the air while they relieved themselves. Third one I saw was within range, however never cleared the thicket to present a shot for me. Last two I saw were about 250 out and headed into the other side of the woods with 15 minutes of shooting light left. I got out of my stand hoping to meet them in the woods, but they were no where to be found... I have NO idea where they went unless they stopped just on the outside of the woods to graze or something. As I have said, we only have about 4 acres of woods, MAX, and if they were going through it on the same path I saw them enter on... I woulda cut them off, so they musta turned or stopped or something. Oh well... maybe tomorrow night. With all the snow, it will be easy to spot them in the heavy grass straight away from my stand, so that will help.

I'm just hopin' hubby gets one tomorrow morning, that'd be a good start to my day... AND his!
Old 12-04-2005, 07:05 AM

Poor hubby, he's out again... hasn't seen ONE deer, and we got 3" last night... guess they like the evening hours around there... Thank God evening is my shift to hunt, eh? LOL Just kidding, I was really pulling for him today!
Old 12-04-2005, 10:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Late in the season like this i prefer to hunt evenings over mornings. During archery(especially the end of october) and the first weekend of shotgun, mornings are great, but as it gets later there is nothing better then sitting over a food source in the evening. I didnt go yesterday morning, but i did go out last night and sat on the ground atop a ridge overlooking a corn and bean field. I seen 14 deer total. Only had 2 in range but they were not in a clear shooting lane. Out in the bean field i seen a group of 6 deer, one of them kept chasing 2 of the smaller deer all over the place. I didnt have my binos so i dont know wether it was a buck, or just the does playing around.
Old 12-04-2005, 06:14 PM
Typical Buck

Im guessing they found a real good food source nearby. Happens every year here on the farm I hunt. The late season they move out and dont come back for 3 weeks or so.

Don

Quick Reply: Great... JUST GREAT...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.