Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 Upper Peninsula Gun Season Reports >

Upper Peninsula Gun Season Reports

Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Upper Peninsula Gun Season Reports

Old 11-19-2005, 10:19 PM

Default RE: Upper Peninsula Gun Season Reports

ORIGINAL: sagers

The buck weighed 197, and had a 16 inch spread..It is the biggest deer I have ever shot!!!
Sounds like a nice 2 1/2 year old to me. Congrats!
Old 11-20-2005, 08:43 AM

I see you hunt with a winchester - I use a Winchester Model 88 .284 lever action -I love the rifle even though it is old. My Dad bought it new and passed it on to me.
Old 11-20-2005, 07:45 PM

Yup, Winchester is my favorite with Browning coming in a close 2nd. My dad gave me his .270 Win 2 years ago. It is relatively new (as my dad has only been hunting 10 years or so) and it was his 1st gun and he killed his 1st deer with it and many more. Hopefully I'll be lucky enough to take my 1st with it as well in a few days!
Old 11-21-2005, 05:56 PM

A family friend bagged a trohpy 8 pointer up in Carney a few days ago and my god-grandfather killed a nice fork and 2 does. The deer movement is really good and it seems as though the rut is kicking in. Go get em boys! I'm leaving Wednesday!
Old 11-23-2005, 06:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Pretty quiet in Iron county. lots of snow and wind today made things tough although I did see lots of deer, just no shooters yet. Been seeing a good number of small bucks though. Rutting activity is minimal as well. Hopefuly it gets better!
Old 11-27-2005, 11:31 AM

Both my brothers shot bucks the second day of the rifle opener. One was a fork shot in the am and the younger brother arrowed a seven point that same evening that weighed 193lbs dressed at the butcher. This is in the area of the Houghton/Keweenaw county border on the east side. For me, have not been out once since the opener.Child responsibilities took control this year. The half days in school are a killer for hunting time. I shot two does during the first archery season, so all is not lost, got a freezer of meat. One tag to go though. Have to find alittle time for late season archery.Good luck everyone!
Old 11-28-2005, 07:40 AM
Fork Horn

got back from Iron River late saturday night... little chilly BRRR.. thermometer said a paltry -12 F about 3 am saturday morning when we woke up remembering we shoulda switched that propane tank out... ooopsie... had almost a foot of wet snow when we got there on the 19th and another 8 - 10 inches of lighter stuff on top of that when we left on the 26th

Saw a LOT of BIG doe and most had twins with them.. one had triplets for sure... a few loners... too bad i was a day late getting to buy a private land doe permit... why iron river is in 036 i;ll never know... there are way too many doe...

saw a number of decent 2 1/2 year old bucks... oddly enough i didn't see a single spike or fork... hunted all week and decided friday to take a 6 or bigger since 3 1/2 + seemed to be nocturnal... only chance i got friday (figures) was a small 6 (bout 14 outside spread maybe) without brows running some doe and he refused to come out of the tag alder and wasn't presenting me anything but a pooper shot... so he lived to see another day...

heading up there were A LOT of nice deer heading east and south.... lot more than in previous years... some with impressive headgear...

so i guess i'll have to head out with the revolver or the muzzle loader and see if i can put a doe or two in the freezer before christmas...

next year should be pretty good in our area up there... we and most of our neighbors have been practicing QDM on our own and it seems ot be working with some different food plots and leaving them undisturbed.. now if we could get our boner neighbors on the other side to do the same and not ride all over gods creation on those blasted ATV's at all hours of the day maybe we'd be doing better... last i knew you were only allowed to WALK on CFA... maybe someone needs to remind them eh.... or keep em on their own property...

J
Old 11-30-2005, 08:17 PM

Well today was the last day of season and unfortunately for me I got skunked. I saw 1 shooter buck all season and I didn't have a shot. I thought the numbers were down where I hunt this year but thats hunting for you. It still beats working or sitting in class. Now its time to dust off the muzzaloader and start shooting the bow again.
Old 12-01-2005, 03:44 PM

Seemed pretty quiet around Gould City, I only hunted the first two days of the season, all day and saw a doe and two fawns the afternoon of the 15. Pretty lame.

Anyone see the count at the Mackinac Bridge lately?
Old 12-02-2005, 11:36 AM
Fork Horn

when we came across the bridge on the 26th the count was up something like 4%... most of the deer we saw on the road were 2 1/2 year old deer... not many spikes or forks in all honesty..

Quick Reply: Upper Peninsula Gun Season Reports

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.